• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What have you done to, or with, your Tacoma today?

Put in a hat and heels

Attachments

• IMG_9008.jpeg
    IMG_9008.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8997.jpeg
    IMG_8997.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 73
Finally got the JD fab parts installed along with DRT fab spindle gussets. Also was able to get the shocks all rebuilt. Truck is feeling revived and much better. With the wheels pushed forward more now, I haven't scraped the tire against the cab mount and rear part of the fender like I was before just doing normal driving, even with +3 degrees of caster and a BMC. I'm happy with the outcome.

IMG_9233.jpeg
IMG_9235.jpeg
IMG_9239.jpeg

Finally got the JD fab parts installed along with DRT fab spindle gussets. Also was able to get the shocks all rebuilt. Truck is feeling revived and much better. With the wheels pushed forward more now, I haven't scraped the tire against the cab mount and rear part of the fender like I was before just doing normal driving, even with +3 degrees of caster and a BMC. I'm happy with the outcome.

IMG_9233.jpeg
IMG_9235.jpeg
IMG_9239.jpeg
Love this! It is on my "wish list".

Stretched her legs today on her 2 year b-day. 2 years, a lot of mistakes and a crap ton of $$$$. Still could not be happier with it.

1687739804895.png

Day 1
1687739954807.png

Day 730
1687740017016.png

Fixed my harsh rear end bottom-out issue by replacing the Wheelers flip kit & Superbumps with the Archive Garage Stealth HD flip kit & Yellow Speed Bumps bump stops. I fkn love Archive Garage products, they're so well designed. Gained uptravel and I can't feel the rear bump stops at all anymore. <3

Wheelers vs Archive setup:

[IMG]

ADS + Archive + Deaver happiness:

[IMG]

Fixed my harsh rear end bottom-out issue by replacing the Wheelers flip kit & Superbumps with the Archive Garage Stealth HD flip kit & Yellow Speed Bumps bump stops. I fkn love Archive Garage products, they're so well designed. Gained uptravel and I can't feel the rear bump stops at all anymore. <3

Wheelers vs Archive setup:

[IMG]

ADS + Archive + Deaver happiness:

[IMG]
Yup. Now you need to ditch the spare and add the HC cross bar to complete the setup.

Yup. Now you need to ditch the spare and add the HC cross bar to complete the setup.
Not happening lol

Planning to work with a buddy that fabs to create a crossbar that keeps the spare, just haven't had time.

Spent this weekend knocking out a couple interior upgrades that I've been meaning to do.

After disabling the useless Qi charger a few weeks ago, I wanted to repurpose its switch to control something cooler. Enter VLEDS aqua footwell lights. Pieced together my own kit with a dimmer and saved $80 over their pnp kit. Came out awesome. Super impressed with these tiny lights.

[IMG]

Next up was to remove the Anytime Backup Camera kit and rewire the front camera directly to the DMH-WC6600NEX. The ABC kit worked fantastic with the stock hu, but was not besties with the Pioneer. I then reflashed my Maestro to have the backup camera come on if I hold down the End Call Button, so I still have a physical button to load the rear camera. Haven't figured out to make it toggle the front camera with a button yet, but hopefully can figure it out soon.

Removing the ABC switch allowed me to install something else in its place so I added the OEM Glass Breakage sensor along with the small style Tundra mic (P/N: 08192-65810). The mic's are exactly the same on the back, but this fits the smaller cutout.

[IMG]

Longer post in the build thread: https://tacoma3g.com/threads/drizzohs-build-thread.13423/post-94736

What's that line form a few years back, "Haters gotta hate".

we were on I90 west of syracuse last saturday and there was a huge traffic backup and a plume of black smoke rising. expected to see an EEEVEE on fire but it turned out to be an older model SUV. fire crew hadn't gotten there yet. flames were probably 20ft high.

Spent this weekend knocking out a couple interior upgrades that I've been meaning to do.

After disabling the useless Qi charger a few weeks ago, I wanted to repurpose its switch to control something cooler. Enter VLEDS aqua footwell lights. Pieced together my own kit with a dimmer and saved $80 over their pnp kit. Came out awesome. Super impressed with these tiny lights.

[IMG]

Next up was to remove the Anytime Backup Camera kit and rewire the front camera directly to the DMH-WC6600NEX. The ABC kit worked fantastic with the stock hu, but was not besties with the Pioneer. I then reflashed my Maestro to have the backup camera come on if I hold down the End Call Button, so I still have a physical button to load the rear camera. Haven't figured out to make it toggle the front camera with a button yet, but hopefully can figure it out soon.

Removing the ABC switch allowed me to install something else in its place so I added the OEM Glass Breakage sensor along with the small style Tundra mic (P/N: 08192-65810). The mic's are exactly the same on the back, but this fits the smaller cutout.

[IMG]

Longer post in the build thread: https://tacoma3g.com/threads/drizzohs-build-thread.13423/post-94736

Love how you build is going. Your make me feel lazy as hell.

Dude at work asked if I wanted some molle panels for the bed and center console. He gave me every panel Cali raised makes for free, pretty much brand new. Wasn’t going to say no to that lol. He insisted he wanted no money 🤷🏼‍♂️. Just need to source a little hardware.

IMG_9311.jpeg

Dude at work asked if I wanted some molle panels for the bed and center console. He gave me every panel Cali raised makes for free, pretty much brand new. Wasn’t going to say no to that lol. He insisted he wanted no money 🤷🏼‍♂️. Just need to source a little hardware.

IMG_9311.jpeg

wow!!

Just an FYI that I make hidden small ($23) and full size ($33) replacement front license plate brackets that replace the 3G ugly plastic one which, over time, will cut grooves in the painted bumper cover. I also make hidden full size brackets ($35) that mount in the fairlead opening for those with aftermarket bumpers that do not run a winch. Each one uses stainless mounting and license plate hardware with rubber isolators to keep aluminum bracket from contacting the painted bumper. Small one also works on 2nd gen. Large ones are tongue and groove fitted machined assemblies.

20230622_235407.jpg20230622_235803.jpg20230623_000201.jpg
2018_06240025.JPG
MOD 2.jpg.jpg
PLATE ON SSO.jpg
SOLD OUT

I'm annoyed. Warranty swap on the Morimoto XB headlights.
Had to buy the set and get the refund when returned. That's fine and all...

But the replacement Gen 2 sent out now has amber corners. Where the Gen 1 has smoked/clear corners.

Well... swapped them over and I think the one headlight is bad...
Checked wiring. Installed the original headlights. Worked.
Back to the new replacements. No work.

Everything works but the turn signal. It blips on lock/unlock, hazard lights, turn signal...

Source: https://youtu.be/ZJroPBqOmLI

Source: https://youtu.be/9Nwe0-UaZKU

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of bad reviews on quality from them in the last couple of years,
its not good to hear the QC dept shipped non-working unit(s).

I would say call them and give them a opportunity to send a replacement.
But honestly I would just cut the loss and buy a better product.

2 strikes already,.... right.
That sucks but 3 strikes would be even worse.

My jeep set came from here,
https://www.anzousa.com/finder/16/toyota-tacoma-2022-21966

Source: https://youtu.be/uuAa3ufyfq8?t=592

I've been emailing them. Email seems to be a bad method of communication when it comes to Tech stuff.
I called and I think it's been resolved.
Yeah, there is the chance of failure and stuff. But I still think Morimoto is better overall.

The first set was just yellowing/hazing. But I think most headlights will do that. Even OEM.
I can own that since I don't really take care of my vehicles. Just don't wash them or anything.
Even my factory headlights have gone to crap.

After talking to Anthony at Morimoto, all is good. Was told not to worry about timeframes. When I return the headlights, I'll get a refund.
Do it on my time.
The light blipping could just be the resistor. It's a little module on the back of the headlight.
I asked if I could just remove them from the old set and send it in without it. He said that's fine. Cheap to replace. I could pull them all off the old set and shoot them back.
Well magically, the headlights are working like they should. Didn't swap resistors. Gonna pull them in case anyway.
I don't know if the resistor or capacitors had to be fed with some current to function. Sort of like how software needs to "settle" or stabilize. Maybe that's all it was. But it all works now and I didn't do anything. Just went to bed and woke up. So it's all good now. Little concerned how it just started working. But I guess there's still the remaining warranty. Should be alright.

I went Morimoto for all the other lights so I want to keep it that way. Matchy match.

Only thing with Anzo's is that's another $1k and they only have a 1 year warranty. Morimoto's have a 5 year and they seem to be good with honoring it. Annoying but seem alright. Guess we'll find out. Everyone that's had to warranty with Morimoto has had a good experience.

Back in the Scion days, Anzo was basically just a reseller shell.

Last edited:
Put the new Nitro Recon Grapplers to the test. Was using MTS and had the locker on for this. It was as steep as it looks and there was a step up at the top.
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CuxN2z2Lnnp/

The tires were at 20 PSI and are 285/70R17 116T. So NOT LT or E range. But per the weight and feel of the casings before mounting these seem more like a C load range Tire. I'm not sure why nitro isn't calling them that. Might be a certification thing. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed that. They are tooling up for the Recon Grappler to replace both the Ridge Grappler and the Terra Grappler.

For the Tacoma, the C Load range tire seems like a really good choice. 6# lighter and a softer casing makes for a much better ride all around.

-M

When you pay a shop to rebuild your shocks. A week later you try to adjust the compression and the knob won’t move. Pulled the knobs and found this… yeah I don’t think they even took the reservoirs apart. Pretty pissed right now seeing that I have a big trip in a couple weeks.

IMG_9357.jpeg

When you pay a shop to rebuild your shocks. A week later you try to adjust the compression and the knob won’t move. Pulled the knobs and found this… yeah I don’t think they even took the reservoirs apart. Pretty pissed right now seeing that I have a big trip in a couple weeks.

IMG_9357.jpeg

That is so lame. You should be pissed. Have you contacted them?

That is so lame. You should be pissed. Have you contacted them?
I called them today and then went to the shop after work. Their shock builder did admit he missed checking the high speed knobs. They checked pressure in the shocks and verified everything else operated properly. We’re working on a plan to fix it. Most likely need some new internals on both rear shock reservoirs. The owner said he’ll work with me on cost since it was their mistake missing it in the first place. Either way I would’ve been paying for some new parts so at least he’ll help out with the price. For the mean time the truck is a little bouncy at certain speeds. I’m assuming it’s because I can’t adjust the compression in the rear and I think one of them is stuck between settings. I’ll give it maybe a couple more weeks and see if it smooths out any. Hopefully when we get the reservoirs fixed, it will run perfectly smooth

Little update about my fox shocks. After multiple back and forth conversations with my local shop and Accutune, we decided it's best if we send the shocks out to Accutune to be rebuilt again and to have the adjusters repaired. Apparently there is a proprietary fox tool they use when doing this job that my local shop doesn't have. And my local shop felt best letting Accutune handle this job. I can appreciate the honesty. So we need to source some temporary shocks to throw on my truck while mine are being rebuilt. Can't afford to have my truck on jack stands for a month 😅. On a side note. I can't recommend Accutune enough. One of the best companies I've ever dealt with for customer service inquiries. They had an answer to any question the second I asked it. They really know their stuff!
Even willing to send any diagram of shock internals we could need, and ready to send parts overnight.

Returned today from Ouray, CO, Rocky Mountain Toyota Roundup. Would absolutely do it again. Black Bear pass was closed so will have to make another trip in the future. 4.5k miles round trip. The Taco performed flawlessly.

1690242507643.png

1690242596511.png

1690242650794.png
I just now noticed your shirt lol

Back