• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

T3G Feedback and questions about Tacoma3G.com - How can our community and website be better?

Yeah, seems like a natural evolution of sorts and I really like the idea. Exciting times ahead (y)

Okay, time to reveal some names. Here is the list I have:

ToyotaThreads
ToyotaDirt
ToyotaRigs
ToyotaFourby
Toyoverland
ToyotaTravels
ToyotaExplorers
ToyotaTrails
ToyotaBuilds

And a lot of your suggestions are pretty awesome too. I appreciate you guys getting creative with me. I do like the family idea.

About 10 minutes ago though, @Romp-A-Taco and @Malcolm told me they really dig ToyotaRigs. I was extremely surprised to see that both toyotarigs.com and yotarigs.com (for short) were actually not taken. And even on Instagram, @toyotarigs and @yotarigs were not taken! I dig this name too so I had to act on it - I purchased the domain names and I registered the Instagram names.

However, the name does not need to be ToyotaRigs if more people hate it than love it. We can keep brainstorming. I just wanted to be sure something so short and easy to remember would not get stolen out from under me before I put it in public. Let me know if this grows on you or if we want to go more the way of the family.

I don't like this idea. I left TW because it was trying to be everything for everyone and in doing so became a toxic wasteland. I left the Reddit Tacoma sub because it was too wide open and there was no focus in the community. Mostly people just posting random pictures. If you want to have a All Toyota forum make a separate wide open forum with a different URL and a different name. Tacoma3g.com is an excellent site and it's special BECAUSE of it's narrow focus. Please don't endanger a good thing just to grow. I've seen this mindset destroy far too many sites over the years.

I don't like this idea. I left TW because it was trying to be everything for everyone and in doing so became a toxic wasteland. I left the Reddit Tacoma sub because it was too wide open and there was no focus in the community. Mostly people just posting random pictures. If you want to have a All Toyota forum make a separate wide open forum with a different URL and a different name. Tacoma3g.com is an excellent site and it's special BECAUSE of it's narrow focus. Please don't endanger a good thing just to grow. I've seen this mindset destroy far too many sites over the years.
I definitely hear you and these are some of my fears as well. I do think I can do it differently and keep what you like about T3G. Making this change doesn't mean we are going to suddenly get huge and lose that tight-knit community feeling. I would have to work really hard at bringing in new people that have those other trucks.

But I hear your opinion and think it is very valid. I'm going to continue to listen to the discussion. Nothing is final yet.

I appreciate your completely honest opinion. It's needed for everyone to hear this as a serious possiblity and one that ruined multiple forums over the years.

One of the things I think we have going in our favor is the fact that many people will never leave TW or Reddit. They like the environments there and aren't interested in anything else that pops up on the internet. So while we stand to gain a good amount of new members, I don't think we're going to just explode in volume of traffic.

Replying to you a second time.

You have me seriously reconsidering taking away what T3G already is as an established name, website, and group of people.

Maybe ToyotaRigs should be exactly what this idea is but separate from T3G...

Will the 3rd gen Tacoma owners get to have our very own ban hammers to play with?

tenor.gif

Toyota’s Trail Riders
The Toyota Family
Off Road Yotas
Off Road Toyota’s

Just some quick ideas. Might come up with more after some thinking ?

I'm digging these name suggestions. More beers for this guy!

Expansion is good. Great idea! T3G opening it's doors for other Toyota 4x4 enthusiasts.

You have me seriously reconsidering taking away what T3G already is as an established name, website, and group of people.

It is also possible for me to execute this idea as planned but have the Tacoma3G.com URL bring you exclusively to the 3rd gen Taco content that is within ToyotaRigs. You'd essentially be using a smaller, more specific site within the bigger one.

Branching off of your idea. Kind of a leap, create the new Toyota Rigs site as the parent site and have Tacoma 3G be the dedicated branch to the site we all love. Allowing all Toyota trucks to participate in the main site and can be used for trail runs or meets. Then you will still have the dedicated pages for T3G, just a smaller community with the folks we are familiar with, while still being open to new 3rd Gen trucks and users. ?

It is also possible for me to execute this idea as planned but have the Tacoma3G.com URL bring you exclusively to the 3rd gen Taco content that is within ToyotaRigs. You'd essentially be using a smaller, more specific site within the bigger one.
Haha just wrote something similar, you must’ve posted while I was typing

Okay, time to reveal some names. Here is the list I have:

ToyotaThreads
ToyotaDirt
ToyotaRigs
ToyotaFourby
Toyoverland
ToyotaTravels
ToyotaExplorers
ToyotaTrails
ToyotaBuilds

And a lot of your suggestions are pretty awesome too. I appreciate you guys getting creative with me. I do like the family idea.

About 10 minutes ago though, @Romp-A-Taco and @Malcolm told me they really dig ToyotaRigs. I was extremely surprised to see that both toyotarigs.com and yotarigs.com (for short) were actually not taken. And even on Instagram, @toyotarigs and @yotarigs were not taken! I dig this name too so I had to act on it - I purchased the domain names and I registered the Instagram names.

However, the name does not need to be ToyotaRigs if more people hate it than love it. We can keep brainstorming. I just wanted to be sure something so short and easy to remember would not get stolen out from under me before I put it in public. Let me know if this grows on you or if we want to go more the way of the family.
Glad you made the purchase before posting this, someone would have bought it and charged you double for it. lol...

I think it has been established that ToyotaRigs WILL be a thing.

The new topic of discussion is whether it should be a sister site or if T3G should be transformed into it.

There are big pros and cons to both.

More options never hurt, and the concept sounds like it’s easily successful.
Only issues I see is immediate need for more admin/mods to keeps track of new sections. Means folks in areas they don’t care about to help look after things until folks in those areas step up.
Also rebranding is kind of a pain, Chang in everything. I guess the t3g swag already out will be an OG status thing.

These are the possibilities:

One site, T3G becomes ToyotaRigs

Two sites, T3G remains unchanged and ToyotaRigs is a brand new site (that looks the same), but starts from scratch

Two sites, T3G remains unchanged and ToyotaRigs is a separate site but all the members and posts from T3G are imported into it so it is not starting from scratch

Two sites, T3G remains unchanged and ToyotaRigs is a brand new site (that looks the same), but starts from scratch

I'm probably going back on what I originally thought of this plan, but why not two sites and have collab meetups?

But actually, maybe 3rd option is not a bad idea either.

These are the possibilities:

One site, T3G becomes ToyotaRigs

Two sites, T3G remains unchanged and ToyotaRigs is a separate site but all the members and posts from T3G are imported into it so it is not starting from scratch
Third option is solid. Appreciate how active and passionate you are on here bro!

So new here, but I like the idea of T3G keeping separate. For Jeeps I'm on a TJ specific forum and it is a lot better than any larger jeep forum and a great source for getting information and a really good community (We had a large group of forum members who had never met all go to Moab this past year).

I'm not saying it can't be done and I think some of your ideas are good, I just haven't seen it implemented well.

Back