• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

T3G Feedback and questions about Tacoma3G.com - How can our community and website be better?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 12.44.35.png

Welcome to 203G! Wait, no—2023? No…. Tacoma3G 2.0! The website appears visually different as part of an ongoing redesign. More info below. Alternatively, you can ignore all of this and switch back to any of the now-classic designs that you were using, by clicking here.

TL;DR (short version):

I’ve been working on a massive redesign and overhaul of the features on T3G for exactly two years now. ...Andddd, I still don’t have my finished product ready. Therefore, I think it’s time to change the way I intended to release my big update. What you are seeing is a mostly stock implementation of the software that powers this website.

I will be introducing my new site features over time, instead of all at once. Reverting back to the the 'OEM design' (as we gear-heads would call it), will enable me to implement things without worrying about my outdated and bloated code that I used to make those now-classic designs, which would otherwise slow me down and create more 'oil leaks' (website bugs) than I can deal with.

Eventually, this new site will look similar to the classic ones (e.g., there will still options to match the website's color scheme to your truck, and in light or dark mode, etc.). But T3G v2.0 comes with cleaner code (good for me and many user interface improvements (good for you).

Longer version:

Despite how slow I am, I really have been working on big improvements and frequently requested suggestions, for two years now, with most of it not visible or usable by you guys yet. This is because I go through waves of being extremely motivated to work on T3G, followed by days or weeks of not even wanting to look at my phone or computer or leave my house or wake up, etc.

But. T3G has always been a passion project of mine. Just a hobby. Not something I ever intended to think of as a job, or to become an influencer, or to get free parts for my truck, or to sellout to a big company, or to plaster ugly ads and other crap all over the website, etc.

With that being said, on a personal level, I need to stop stressing about what I do to improve T3G and those things potentially not being to everyone’s taste. Almost every day, I judge myself for not running T3G right or that no one will like T3G 2.0. I have Mr. Anxiety and Sir Imposter Syndrome over here, telling me I’ll never do this, or I suck at that, and so on. Screw it; I got cool new features I want to start adding to the site whether my anxiety says to or not!

The new default design that you are looking at (if you haven’t already switched back), is simply the default design of the software powering the site. You’re just seeing my starting point of what I’m coding; not the actual T3G 2.0 redesign itself. In order for me to slowly roll out new things I’ve been coding, I need a clean starting point. The classic designs are loaded with bloat and bugs from over the years (code wise).

Also, I’ve been into function over fashion lately, in terms of how I design the website's user interface and such. I want people to say to their friends, “I suggest T3G over the other sites because it’s much simpler, friendlier, and more organized than the others.” And working toward those goals starts here.

The good news is, you can basically ignore everything I just said and switch back to any of the classic designs by clicking here. They will still show any new features or other changes, they are just at higher risk of showing temporary bugs and other weird things for the time being. Eventually, the classic designs will be fully synced with their 2.0 counterparts, and at that point, all design options will function the same, just with minor aesthetic differences.

Everyone that uses this forum—whether you post in the threads or silently lurk in the shadows—have always been extremely supportive to me and my T3G project. It’s you guys that keep me going. I say that a lot, but it’s true. Anyway, thank you for coming to my Tyler talk.

Happy late New Year!!!

Last edited:
Yo! This is a test post from Tyler, using my wife's account. Just checking some permission stuff.

Super stoked.

Those of you that are here reading this, thank you for your support and motivation to push me to create this baby beast. I invited you guys to join early because like I've said a few times before, I want this to be OUR community - not mine. I want it to be how you all want it to be. And by inviting you in during my planning and setup phase, I will be able to get instant criticism and suggestions from you guys so that when we do open to everyone, we have a solid product to present.

That being said, this is kind of like a beta version so there will be constant moving parts and probably some weird glitchy shit happening sometimes. Also, all the forums except this one are closed for posting and the intro/build thread forum. My reasoning for that is because the sole purpose of the soft launch is to focus on the structure and design of the forum. The intro/build thread will be open so you can get an early start on your own build threads because I know that can take a while to create.

I'm not sure yet, but I was thinking it would be kind of cool if you guys had a permanent banner under your name that says "founding member" or something like that.

I'm paying to have a custom skin made by a professional. It will be tailored to however we want it to look. Everything from color scheme to a unique logo and the actual layout of the content.

Right now I'm thinking it would be cool to have some sort of skull in the logo because I like badass shit. I also intend to feature everyone's trucks next to the logo that will rotate each time you refresh the page. In addition to the trucks, I'd like to have rotating slogans under the logo that add some sarcasm/comic relief. This is something we can always add to and eventually use inside jokes we create. Some that I've thought of for now:

• 3rd gen burritos are better.
  • "I should've bought a jeep", said no one on this forum.
  • tacoma3g.com - the best 3rd gen Taco forum. (This is by process of elimination, and we're the only one...)
  • Entune is the best part about the Toyota Tacoma.
  • Someone should enlighten Tyler on the importance of rock sliders.
  • What is the point of rock sliders? Seriously.
  • Did 35" tires effect anyone else's gas mileage?
  • tacoma3g.com - Where simplicity is paramount and bullshit is... bullshit.
  • I'm just here for the Controlled Chaos forum.
  • Just picked up my roof top tent. Do you even overland, bro?
  • Do you even crawl control, bro?
  • I sold my cement TRD Pro when it stopped being an exclusive color.
  • Sick quicksand Taco, dude! I never really see those.
  • 99% of Tacos are in SoCal; are you the 1% making a difference?
  • Toyota announced the next refresh of the 3rd gen will have a solid axle.
  • Will sell food for Tacoma money!
  • Just rolled off the lot with my new 3rd gen. Quick! -- gotta make an overlanding Instagram.
  • #overland #exploration #fivegrandworthofextrageariwontuse

As for the color scheme, I'm thinking something earthy. Perhaps loosely based off the quicksand color with subtle red accents?

I did. I called it "Friend Zone". I didn't create sub-forums for the different regions like TW has because it's not good to have a ton of forums on a brand new forum. That makes the forum content spread too thin, thus looking dead.

Something I could do for now is use thread prefixes for regions. They could be broad like pacific, mountain, central, and eastern. If I make one for every state I'm sure most won't get used for a while.

Were you possibly thinking of doing like a regional section?

x2 on this, I know the Regional Forums on TW have been awesome. Always finding meetups and mod parties through it.

Also I've noticed while browsing some aspects of the site, some of the formating does not seem to be aligning. While trying to edit my profile I was trying to edit my Location and it was selecting my Avatar instead.

x2 on this, I know the Regional Forums on TW have been awesome. Always finding meetups and mod parties through it.

Also I've noticed while browsing some aspects of the site, some of the formating does not seem to be aligning. While trying to edit my profile I was trying to edit my Location and it was selecting my Avatar instead.
Are you able to get a screenshot of that?

Me personally, I would avoid the skull. In my opinon, something simplistic and sleek would work. Have you seen some of the designs throughout the communities?

Attachments

• IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Nation_Badge_Patch.png
    Nation_Badge_Patch.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Taco_Decal_Sample.jpg
    Taco_Decal_Sample.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 138
I did. I called it "Friend Zone". I didn't create sub-forums for the different regions like TW has because it's not good to have a ton of forums on a brand new forum. That makes the forum content spread too thin, thus looking dead.

Something I could do for now is use thread prefixes for regions. They could be broad like pacific, mountain, central, and eastern. If I make one for every state I'm sure most won't get used for a while.

Stoked to be here!

Maybe you can set up a poll in the Friend Zone forum asking which state people are from. Based on the results, you can create state specific sub forums. Just a thought.

They could be broad like pacific, mountain, central, and eastern. If I make one for every state I'm sure most won't get used for a while.

That would work, then people could make specific threads within those sections, such as a Nor Cal and So Cal thread within the Pacific, a Carolinas thread within the Eastern, etc.

Stoked to be here!

Maybe you can set up a poll in the Friend Zone forum asking which state people are from. Based on the results, you can create state specific sub forums. Just a thought.
I would maybe recommend splitting into PNW, SW, Central, NE, SE and HI/AK. That is just 2¢ I don’t know if it’s worth anything or not lol
Both solid ideas. Will definitely implement something better as we get more opinions on this.

That would work, then people could make specific threads within those sections, such as a Nor Cal and So Cal thread within the Pacific, a Carolinas thread within the Eastern, etc.
For this I could actually create thread prefixes for each state. Add the four timezones as their own forums with a thread prefix for each state inside.

Me personally, I would avoid the skull. In my opinon, something simplistic and sleek would work. Have you seen some of the designs throughout the communities?
Those are clean. I understand how the skull can be hit or miss. I like it the way it's used by my favorite gym, Barbell Brigade, but that doesn't mean we need to do that here.

For this I could actually create thread prefixes for each state. Add the four timezones as their own forums with a thread prefix for each state inside.

The buy/sell/trade would be by region as well? You could probably sub categorize that as well.

Yeah, every company had skulls on their unit t-shirts from my first deployment, which was cool. Second deployment they tried doing the samething and I was burnt out on the idea, was the same stuff just re-designed again.

The simplier the better imo.

Also I agree the earth tone colors could be good, something that is easy on the eyes for sure. Especially when being viewed on Mobile.

Yeah, every company had skulls on their unit t-shirts from my first deployment, which was cool. Second deployment they tried doing the samething and I was burnt out on the idea, was the same stuff just re-designed again.

The simplier the better imo.

Also I agree the earth tone colors could be good, something that is easy on the eyes for sure. Especially when being viewed on Mobile.
I really, really like clean and modern minimalist designs. We'll scrap the skull and see what the graphic artist can do.

The buy/sell/trade would be by region as well? You could probably sub categorize that as well.
We can do the same thing with that. They are essentially the same types of forums except one is for meets and wheeling and one is for buy/sell.

I know this is thinking further in the future, but would anybody be interested in somehow integrating the site into and app? I think that would be really convenient in some cases.

I know this is thinking further in the future, but would anybody be interested in somehow integrating the site into and app? I think that would be really convenient in some cases.
Have you tried using the site on your phone yet? XenForo makes it very mobile friendly.

Could you use Tapatalk? Isn't that the Forum app?
Not 100% sure if that works the way we want it to. I'll look into it though.

I could also pay someone to create an app that is literally an app store app for tacoma3g.com. That'd be pretty unique.

Back