• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

CoastieRon's Silver build & BS

looking good. makes me wanna upgrade my already upgraded door speakers

Did this tonight:

Before
IMG_20180926_182822.jpg

After

IMG_20180926_184004.jpg

Who knows if it will improve anything lol, I just wanted one rice item....

Did this tonight:

Before
IMG_20180926_182822.jpg

After

IMG_20180926_184004.jpg

Who knows if it will improve anything lol, I just wanted one rice item....

I don't notice anything with mine but it does make a little more sound

I don't notice anything with mine but it does make a little more sound
Yep. That's about all. My truck down shifted while passing this morning and I thought "WTF was that?!~?!?!?!?"

I'm on a fresh tank and am wondering more about mileage more than anything else. I know that the HP claims are bunk, and my butt dyno sucks so I really don't care about "oh it feels more responsive" or "the throttle is touchier" because we all know that is bullshit placebo affect. I'll be honest, it looks cool, and that's about it, and that's about all I bought it for LOL

Sorry I haven't been on here as much as I should be. I need to update this thread (coming right up!)

Some quick hits:

10/22/2018: Installed KBVoodoo BedBars

new bars.jpg

I purchased these in order to

11/16/2018: Installed ski racks

ski rack 1.jpgski rack 2.jpgski rack 3.jpgski rack 4.jpgski rack 5.jpgski rack 6.jpg

Then I decided I was sick of the makeshift door opener only working when it felt like it, so

12/2/2018: Gentex door opener

door opener.jpg

I like the door opener down there and out of view for security sake.

Then, I spent some money on me (which my wife ended up writing me a check for and saying "Merry Christmas")

henry.jpg

Henry Big Boy in .357.

Decided I was bored with the Lexus Fog Lights, so

12/22/2018: Installed Cali Raised Amber pods and brackets

pods 1.jpgpods 2.jpgpods 3.jpg

Had a wonderful Christmas (unwrapped my Henry LMAO) and was off until 1/2, so I:

12/26/2018: installed color matched MeSo Customs Light filler plates. What a pisser that was:

filler 1.jpgfiller 2.jpgfiller 3.jpg

Then, it got a little warm out, so

12/30/2018: I celebrated Lil' Silver's birthday with a nice bath/detail

When I bought it on 12/30/2017:

new.jpg

12/30/2018:

now.jpg

now 2.jpg

Then I decided it was time for something more

1/3/2018: Ordered OVTune

OVtune.jpg

And today I scheduled an appointment for vinyl covering for the roof, as well as the hood.....

And we are all caught up!

Some quick hits:

10/22/2018: Installed KBVoodoo BedBars

new bars.jpg

I purchased these in order to

11/16/2018: Installed ski racks

ski rack 1.jpgski rack 2.jpgski rack 3.jpgski rack 4.jpgski rack 5.jpgski rack 6.jpg

Then I decided I was sick of the makeshift door opener only working when it felt like it, so

12/2/2018: Gentex door opener

door opener.jpg

I like the door opener down there and out of view for security sake.

Then, I spent some money on me (which my wife ended up writing me a check for and saying "Merry Christmas")

henry.jpg

Henry Big Boy in .357.

Decided I was bored with the Lexus Fog Lights, so

12/22/2018: Installed Cali Raised Amber pods and brackets

pods 1.jpgpods 2.jpgpods 3.jpg

Had a wonderful Christmas (unwrapped my Henry LMAO) and was off until 1/2, so I:

12/26/2018: installed color matched MeSo Customs Light filler plates. What a pisser that was:

filler 1.jpgfiller 2.jpgfiller 3.jpg

Then, it got a little warm out, so

12/30/2018: I celebrated Lil' Silver's birthday with a nice bath/detail

When I bought it on 12/30/2017:

new.jpg

12/30/2018:

now.jpg

now 2.jpg

Then I decided it was time for something more

1/3/2018: Ordered OVTune

OVtune.jpg

And today I scheduled an appointment for vinyl covering for the roof, as well as the hood.....

And we are all caught up!

You should do the mirrors too ?

You should do the mirrors too ?
with the vinyl? No, and here is why: I have a sport. If I had an Off Road, Yeah, I could go along with that. But in my own OCD way, if I did the mirrors, I would have to do the wheel flairs, if I did the wheel flairs, I would have to do the front bumper cover, if I did the front bumper cover, I would have to do the rear bumper cover. Fucking stupid rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper

Sorry I haven't been on here as much as I should be. I need to update this thread (coming right up!)
I wasn’t sure if you left us for good. Welcome back.

Congrats on the @OVTune. I just flashed mine as well. Looks like you ordered a few days late though - you missed the holiday discount.

My bad. Lol I understand that reasoning completely

Mine when it was installed
6AA24867-ABCF-4FAF-A46F-371B15F73EAD.jpeg

That's hawt AF. Mine is set up to be done Jan 21. Gonna swing by and go over some ideas the week before. Does the roof go back to the rear window (pic please)
I wasn’t sure if you left us for good. Welcome back.

Congrats on the @OVTune. I just flashed mine as well. Looks like you ordered a few days late though - you missed the holiday discount.

Meh. Oh well. Is what it is lol. I think the tune and vinyl are it for a while (bahahaha right?)

Put in the OME carrier bearing drop the other night (Sunday night). I think the drive has gotten a little better, but I think the wheels/tires need to get re-balanced.

Sent my registration code in to OVTuning and waiting on email.....

Flashed the 87 octane file this afternoon. I got a little freaked out at first while the flash was happening because every alert went off on the dash display. Restarted and idled for 10 minutes, then took it for a short drive (5.5 miles). Right away I can tell the difference, and can't wait to see what it does on the highway. I'll reserve my full opinion until after I finish this tank and one more for the 87 tune.

After I finish this tank, I'll fill up with 91 twice, then flash the 91 program.

Thanks. I just updated my money spent on truck spreadsheet, and wish I hadn't. Monday is another $425.....

I’ve tracked it before, in the end it’s not worth it lol. I typically have buyers remorse so if I don’t see the price total I’m good lol

I’ve tracked it before, in the end it’s not worth it lol. I typically have buyers remorse so if I don’t see the price total I’m good lol
I do it so when I decide to sell it, I have a historic document with receipts. I did this with my Audi and it worked out in my favor.

Dropped off my truck last night for some vinyl work. Before drop off, I had some fun.

Lift musings:

I think my truck has settled more than expected, but I need to take measurements to be sure. The truck just looks a bit lower in the front than I thought it would. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as I wasn't looking for a ridiculously tall lift (over 2" in the front), however, I think it settled lower than I expected.

I need to measure again, but I want to do it in the same garage I took post lift measurements, with the bed cover and rails removed (same configuration as the post lift measurements). However visually, you can tell there has been settle since last June:

June - post lift:

mvimg_20180622_070402-jpg.2769025

Dec Settled:

now-jpg.8996

Man, I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

Lift musings:

I think my truck has settled more than expected, but I need to take measurements to be sure. The truck just looks a bit lower in the front than I thought it would. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as I wasn't looking for a ridiculously tall lift (over 2" in the front), however, I think it settled lower than I expected.

I need to measure again, but I want to do it in the same garage I took post lift measurements, with the bed cover and rails removed (same configuration as the post lift measurements). However visually, you can tell there has been settle since last June:

June - post lift:

mvimg_20180622_070402-jpg.2769025

Dec Settled:

now-jpg.8996

Man, I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

Mine has settled and I'm running 700lbs springs with no front bumper. I think they all settle with time. Gunna have to crank mine back up

Mine has settled and I'm running 700lbs springs with no front bumper. I think they all settle with time. Gunna have to crank mine back up

I'm OK with where I am at, just didn't think the springs would settle that much. No biggy honestly. Besides, I was thinking I would switch out to Dobinsons later down the road (@50k miles)

Yeah I will agree 2 inches does seem like a lot.

More pictures. The shop took these during the work and posted on their Facebook page as well.
5D_39915.jpg5D_39916.jpg5D_39917.jpg5D_39919.jpg5D_39920.jpg5D_39921.jpg5D_39923.jpg

In this picture, they did the cowl with a stripe on it. Looks kinda of cool like that, but I wanted all black out.

5D_39925.jpg

This morning in the rain:

Vinyl 2.jpgvinyl 3.jpgvinyl 4.jpgvinyl 5.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the job. I had the roof done as well not only to tie it together, but because I found some scratching up there. With the scratching were 2 chips in the paint. What I think happened? When I went to see Slayer at Mohegan Sun, it was valet parked. I believe the truck hit the max height bar light enough to not cause serious damage, but hard enough to chip the paint and cause a few scratches.

I think I am good to go for a while, besides maybe some little things here and there, but for now, all the major items are done. I've been thinking of swapping out the front springs from the 884 to 885, but have decided instead that I am going to wait until I hit 50k miles, then bring it to Main Line Overland and have them put in a 2" Dobinsons suspension kit.

Oh yeah, Northeast Auto Salon gave me some left over film to play with LOL......

Back