• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

CoastieRon's Silver build & BS

April 11: SKEWP part 2:

img_20180411_175735-jpg.2655176
mvimg_20180411_180049-jpg.2655177
mvimg_20180411_180427-jpg.2655178

April 12: Switch plate #3

Changed the switch plate.

Again.

mvimg_20180412_162302-jpg.2656763

Apr 16: SKEWP Part 3 and stupid sub knob:

A finishing touch for the light:
light-swtich-jpg.2662907

Why can't I find a good friggen dial that fits nicely and looks proportional to the redarc dial.....

panel-jpg.2662908

This dial is 25mm x 15mm
the one before was 12.5mm x 16mm

Officially a SKEWP

received_10216881499529533-2-jpg.2663674

And everything lit properly.
Replaced:

Apr 15: Vehicle OCD Glovebox:

Added the new vehicle OCD divider in the glovebox. Much better than just throwing shit in there willynilly

glovebox-jpg.2664650

May 1: OEM Bed Cover issues:

My damn OEM cover broke. Toyota is going to cover under warranty.

mvimg_20180501_141640-jpg.2688590
img_20180501_141701-jpg.2688591
mvimg_20180501_141651-jpg.2688592

And now we are all caught up. Truck is going back to Toyota of Nashua to get the part replaced on the bed cover. Just trying to find time to get the lift on.

So the lift is:

Bilstein 5100 for Gen 3 all around
1-1/2" AAL
OME 884 springs

I'm not looking for tall. I don't off road very much, but when I do, it's not particularly challenging. I'm doing this more for aesthetics and ride comfort.

Holy shit, dude. You're the new T3G DIY representative, lol. Great photos and in-depth posts. Your Taco is definitely your Taco.
Let's not get out of control here @Tyler . I'm having fun for sure, and may be able to point peeps in the right direction, but there are some ridiculously nicer rides than mine lol

Update to my bed cover. Toyota of Nashua ordered the wrong part. Bastards. As soon as that thing is fixed, it's coming off, and getting listed for sale.

Yeah buddy. I like taking pictures and shit too.

Bed cover is fixed!

Also, a side note. I know people say the Entune has a hard time with over 9,999 songs but I plugged my old ass iPod classic in with 15k songs on it, and it ran just fine.....

So the Entune Premium non-JBL will handle both a USB with over 4k songs as well as an iPod with over 15k songs on it at the same time. .

MVIMG_20180508_170113.jpgMVIMG_20180508_170118.jpg

So I got to ToN last week and they had ordered the wrong part. Going back today because they supposedly have the correct part this time.....

Ordered a rear view mirror riser from Bird Dawg Industries.

So the birdawg mirror riser will fit 3gen trucks, however, it will not fit the 2018 due to the radar on the windshield unless it is trimmed (the piece that is, not the windshield). I'll have to re-evaluate.

On a side note, I retuned the gain on the subwoofer output on the amp last night. I wasn't getting the best output from the sub, at all. What a difference now. Ridiculous punch.

So the birdawg mirror riser will fit 3gen trucks, however, it will not fit the 2018 due to the radar on the windshield unless it is trimmed (the piece that is, not the windshield). I'll have to re-evaluate.

On a side note, I retuned the gain on the subwoofer output on the amp last night. I wasn't getting the best output from the sub, at all. What a difference now. Ridiculous punch.
Do you just need to pull some slack out on the wiring harness then?

Do you just need to pull some slack out on the wiring harness then?
No. The actual mount has to have metal trimmed down on the right side of it in order for it to fit. The mirror mount on the windshield is too close to the radar unit on the windshield for the birdawg to even slide onto the mirror mount. I wasn't planning on mounting anything to the ram mount attachment on it, so trimming int a big deal. I would just have my cousin powdercoat it again.

No. The actual mount has to have metal trimmed down on the right side of it in order for it to fit. The mirror mount on the windshield is too close to the radar unit on the windshield for the birdawg to even slide onto the mirror mount. I wasn't planning on mounting anything to the ram mount attachment on it, so trimming int a big deal. I would just have my cousin powdercoat it again.
I’m asking about the 2017. Same thing?

I’m asking about the 2017. Same thing?
Nope. You may have to drop the headliner to get the mirror onto the riser, but other than that, the mount will fit with no issues because there is no radar....

Nope. You may have to drop the headliner to get the mirror onto the riser, but other than that, the mount will fit with no issues because there is no radar....
That’s what I figured. Thanks!

Lol dope update (y)
Not a whole lot going on until the lift goes on. Right now, I am trying to go through my catalog of music to see where I have to tune the sub a little better. Some music is very crisp on punch (or the bass just works), and other music, the bass is muddy. I need to change the crossover a little lower than where it is I think. Maybe to 55hz or so. I think I mat take the sub out of the box and fill it with polyfill. I'm also changing the USB port in the glove box, but have to wait for that part to come in....

So, I was having issues with my sub's response, so I started looking at other subs that would work with my sub box. Before following through on buying a new sub (which I'm still considering) I filled the box with polyfill

FB_IMG_1526082552451.jpgFB_IMG_1526082560374.jpgMVIMG_20180511_181155.jpg

Still did nothing much for improvement. So I did what @Mr Marv suggested, I swapped my sub output wires at the amp.

So maybe, just maybe, I had the wires incorrect for the sub (those were the only ones I didn't label)....

The response is completely different and much MUCH better...

Still playing with incremental changes on the amp.

In the meantime, I changed the USB plug in my glovebox to handle the iPod and USB
IMG_20180513_101119.jpgIMG_20180513_101147.jpgMVIMG_20180513_101414.jpg

Then I put in a longer charger for my phone and rerouted it
IMG_20180513_111343.jpg

Just realized i have an iPhone 6 not in use, so I'm going turn it into an iPod so I can continue to use my Apple music downloads...

Stupid DRM music

Just realized i have an iPhone 6 not in use, so I'm going turn it into an iPod so I can continue to use my Apple music downloads...

Stupid DRM music
Holy fuck what a pain in the ass this is turning out to be. Because I use Apple Music, every single song I have shows up in my library. So I have to go through my whole catalog and trim down/download only what I want. My Grateful Dead and Phish collections are ridiculous in size. I think I will take the USB I have and fill it with just Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Grateful Dead, Phish........

Back