• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What have you done to, or with, your Tacoma today?

I ripped off half my stock bumper on a boulder field. I knew it was going to happen one day. 😑 Now I just have to order a high clearance rear bumper, probably CBI, and wait 4-6 months for it to come in.
C9C84255-4FFD-4DFD-BC34-94AA87AED634.jpeg

Last edited:
Since I am retired I don't drive very much and only fill up my tank around once a month. Well was I in for a surprise! It was almost a dollar a gallon more than the last time I went to fill it up. This made me get off of my lazy back side and put on the belly pan that I had taken off a while back to do some work under the truck. When I tested my original belly pan 4 years ago it made a 1.25 MPG improvement in gas mileage on a 160 mile round trip that I made once a week over a three month time period. The first picture is the current v.2 version that I am using now. The second picture is the original v.1 version that I made 4 years ago that I copied and pasted from another web site that I made back then. The main difference is that v.1 was one piece pan tied to the factory tin can skid plate. The v.2 is a two piece pan tied into a Mobtown front skid plate that I got to protect my Fumoto valve.

[IMG]

Almost 2 months ago I upgraded to the TRD 17 inch wheels in preparation for the Wilwood big brake kit. With slightly larger tires my MPG took a small hit so I started looking for ways to get that back. For some background I earned my commercial pilot license in 1972 but since the airlines were not hiring then I went to the Navy flight school and spent 20 years flying in the Navy. After retiring from that I changed careers but never forgot the aerodynamics that I learned. In an aeronautical engineering class I took in college I had to design and build 2 aircraft wings. One was for high speed and low drag and the other was for low speed and high lift. We had to put sensors everywhere and put them in the wind tunnel.
On the upper part of the truck the only thing that may make a small improvement is a tonneau cover which I already have. Therefore, I looked under the truck to make some improvement. I use the truck for towing once a year and hauling several times a year so I do not need skid plates for off roading. For the last 2 weeks I have been designing and building an under body pan to improve the aerodynamics. I will be driving a couple hundred miles in the next few days so I should get an idea of any improvement. I would like to put my truck in a wind tunnel but the closest one to me is at Florida State University and they want $15000 to use their facilities. That is not going to happen!
For those who off road you could put a small pan between the transmission skid and the fuel tank which could help some and it would be a lot easier than the one I designed.

[IMG]

I ripped off half my stock bumper on a boulder field. I knew it was going to happen one day. 😑 Now I just have to order a high clearance rear bumper, probably CBI, and wait 4-6 months for it to come in.
C9C84255-4FFD-4DFD-BC34-94AA87AED634.jpeg
Butch,
I have the complete rear bumper and receiver hitch in my side yard. It is yours if you want it. Free,free,free.

Butch,
I have the complete rear bumper and receiver hitch in my side yard. It is yours if you want it. Free,free,free.
That is very kind of you sir! But I have been wanting to get a HC rear for awhile, just needed an excuse. 🤣

Left it at home yesterday to travel 4 hours away for work training. I'll be giving it a good road trip on Saturday though.

Since I live in flat FL and only have 31.5" tires and the KDMAX Pro tune, I was on the fence about gears, but then I drove to Colorado last year and more recently, to Asheville NC and the hills changed my mind.

I got myself an appt. on May 6th for 4.88 gears at ECGS! Having the ECGS bushing done too of course (I don't have any vibes, but better safe than sorry).

Total cost = $2,722.25. I expected this to be the most expensive thing I ever do.

Cannot wait!

1648041428536.png

1648041452385.png

Since I live in flat FL and only have 31.5" tires and the KDMAX Pro tune, I was on the fence about gears, but then I drove to Colorado last year and more recently, to Asheville NC and the hills changed my mind.

I got myself an appt. on May 6th for 4.88 gears at ECGS! Having the ECGS bushing done too of course (I don't have any vibes, but better safe than sorry).

Total cost = $2,722.25. I expected this to be the most expensive thing I ever do.

Cannot wait!

1648041428536.png

1648041452385.png
Congrats Brian! How do you enjoy the KD tune? I'm on the fence, but getting real tired of the gear hunting. It's super hilly here, I live in the Ozark Mountains. Debating between KD or OV. Guess I'll go thread hunting.

Congrats Brian! How do you enjoy the KD tune? I'm on the fence, but getting real tired of the gear hunting. It's super hilly here, I live in the Ozark Mountains. Debating between KD or OV. Guess I'll go thread hunting.
Go for the tune. You won't be disappointed. Love the KDMAX Pro tune! It definitely improves the shifting and overall performance and drivability. A worthy upgrade in IMO.

Anyone have experience with these guys?
I'm also on the fence, but know less than zero about tuning. I don't want some Walmart parking lot special.

Anyone have experience with these guys?
I'm also on the fence, but know less than zero about tuning. I don't want some Walmart parking lot special.

I've had similar concerns. I don't really feel comfortable meeting up with someone in a parking lot alongside a bunch of other people to get a tune flashed and just drive home. I know these guys know what they're doing when they're considered authorized tuners for the specific tunes, but it still sketches me out a bit. I also really don't want to have to feed my truck 93.

I recommend doing the ECGS bushing when you do the seal!
I’ve never had that problem with vibrating. I been having my truck for 4 years. I had Toyota take care of the seal trough my extended warranty but they tried to make a big deal since I had my truck regear before.

Continuation from this thread: Task: Need Measurements of Rearview Mirror Hardware (https://tacoma3g.com/threads/task-need-measurements-of-rearview-mirror-hardware.12881/)

Thanks to @Meclizine for the dimensions. I was being lazy, but getting measurements was a lot simpler than I thought.

Made a few and realize the shape of the rearview base was angled. So a short base adapter wouldn't sit right. Had to make it taller.
Bolt threading is 10-24. I searched for that and no one had an answer. Did some Kanye GEENYUS to make a spacer so the adapter and flange would stay centered. Hard to find a spacer to go from 6mm to 5mm.
Because of the angled base, the length came out perfect. Sort of bugs me. Might remove a little at a time from the adapter to get it closer to the base. Then hit the bench grinder.

To finish this out, I'm going to hide the USB adapter up in the headliner. Have to make a 12-pin to 12-pin extension made. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out a way to hide it up there.

Installed the KTJO4x4 HUD. Not sure about the fitment and it's producing a electric feedback buzz when I open the truck door. So I pulled it up and it's just sitting there. Didn't think about PA Inspection Stickers... FML.

Might install the door lights tonight. Still have the 4WP rear bumper sitting around.

PXL_20220323_172547093.jpg

PXL_20220323_172628258.jpg
PXL_20220323_172948039.jpg
PXL_20220323_173043240.jpg
PXL_20220323_174929285.jpg

Anywhere in particular you're looking to travel? I myself want to get some camping done this summer for sure.,

Anywhere in particular you're looking to travel? I myself want to get some camping done this summer for sure.,
I'm pretty close to Arkansas and Oklahoma. I'd love to explore NWA more, and maybe go to Disney, Oklahoma to the dunes. I'm going to try and be more involved in my local 4wd group as well. They are mostly Jeeps, but we have plenty of great trails within 30 min of my house.

I'm pretty close to Arkansas and Oklahoma. I'd love to explore NWA more, and maybe go to Disney, Oklahoma to the dunes. I'm going to try and be more involved in my local 4wd group as well. They are mostly Jeeps, but we have plenty of great trails within 30 min of my house.

I wish I had more around here. I have to drive about 2 hours in any direction to find a 4x4 area. Most offroading my truck gets to see right now is farmland and old cattle trails. Still fun, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back