• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

Tacoma3G is a beginner-friendly 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma (2016-2023 model-years) forum. We are a community of people who are focused on good information and good vibes. T3G is the passion-project of a USMC/Toyota technician.

What have you done to, or with, your Tacoma today?

73E8D13D-2AE6-410E-82EC-01EF6ABF1171.webp

haven’t done much to it, just explore 🤙
Put my first 5k problem free miles on it!

Just added a custom drive shaft from Tom Wood Custom Driveshafts. Since I lifted my taco I had bad vibrations. Since I put the new one on it’s so smooth! Plus it’s DOM metal so it’s stronger than the factory one. And it’s not a two piece shaft! Worth the money!

Just added a custom drive shaft from Tom Wood Custom Driveshafts. Since I lifted my taco I had bad vibrations. Since I put the new one on it’s so smooth! Plus it’s DOM metal so it’s stronger than the factory one. And it’s not a two piece shaft! Worth the money!

How high did you go? and is the retention cup upgrade in the front axle not a thing anymore? Or was that just the previous generation tacos?

I ask as I've definitely not planned for a driveshaft swap with my icon suspension.

noob question again :
I got 5 full size wheels and tires going on the truck. Do I run 5 TPMS sensors? Factory says you can only really ever run 4... but how do I rotate in my spare tire? Or do you just rotate in your spare with no tpms?

noob question again :
I got 5 full size wheels and tires going on the truck. Do I run 5 TPMS sensors? Factory says you can only really ever run 4... but how do I rotate in my spare tire? Or do you just rotate in your spare with no tpms?

I have the same question about the TPMS sensors....Im about to put on new tires, and would like to know if I need to buy another TPMS sensor for the spare.

noob question again :
My spare is just rubber stem. I do not get a TPM light truck still reads all 4 tpms even if its not mounted. The spare on the swing out still gets read if it has the sensor on it . I rotate the spare every time when i do the rotating.

noob question again :
I have the same question about the TPMS sensors....Im about to put on new tires, and would like to know if I need to buy another TPMS sensor for the spare.

The computer is only capable of monitoring 4 tpms sensors. You just have to rotate one tire in without a sensor. Sometimes it'll throw the system off, but whatever. I just deal with it. I certainly don't dismount two tires and remount the one I rotate in by swapping the tpms.

How high did you go? and is the retention cup upgrade in the front axle not a thing anymore? Or was that just the previous generation tacos?

I ask as I've definitely not planned for a driveshaft swap with my icon suspension.

so I did a 3 inch lift with 33” tires. I don’t know about the retention cup may be older models. Mines a 2018 so it’s a gen 3. The issue I was having was a vibration that felt like Unbalanced tires even right after balance and alignment. Once the drive shaft was swapped That vibration went away.

The computer is only capable of monitoring 4 tpms sensors. You just have to rotate one tire in without a sensor. Sometimes it'll throw the system off, but whatever. I just deal with it. I certainly don't dismount two tires and remount the one I rotate in by swapping the tpms.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Much appreciated

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Much appreciated

I only rotate 4 and if I use the spare it's always temporary. If you are planning on putting your spare into rotation then it's worthy of having a TPMS sensor. NBD if you have to reprogram them every time after rotating, takes two seconds and to me it's worth it to have all 4 corners monitored.

I only rotate 4 and if I use the spare it's always temporary. If you are planning on putting your spare into rotation then it's worthy of having a TPMS sensor. NBD if you have to reprogram them every time after rotating, takes two seconds and to me it's worth it to have all 4 corners monitored.

Should I order a factory tpms or just grab one online? got a link? I see tons of these but worry about quality and functionality.

Back