• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tire Size Fitment and Lift

To the TRD Pro guys, I don't want to be that guy that puts false information out there, but I've seen about five different '18-'19 TRD Pro guys stuff 285/75/16's, with minimal rubbing on the front. This was with pinch weld and CMC done. After forming the wheel well liners with heat, they had no rubbing. They had the stock Pro wheels, and no suspension mods.

There aren't as many Pro guys out there, as there are for the rest of the trims, especially if you take into account the ones that are actually off-roading their trucks. So information regarding modding the Pros is hard to come by.

There are a lot of people insisting certain things won't work for the pro, "because it's not that different" or "it's only one inch" or whatever else. Then you see the guys that make it work. Those guys are typically called liars if they don't have ten different camera angles videoing them at full lock and flex.

I guess my addition to this thread would be "It depends on how much modification you want to do". I would also like to add that I've seen roughly an equal amount of people try the same thing and could not duplicate the results; they ended up with some minimal rubbing, some had to do some cutting to get clearance.

To the TRD Pro guys, I don't want to be that guy that puts false information out there, but I've seen about five different '18-'19 TRD Pro guys stuff 285/75/16's, with minimal rubbing on the front. This was with pinch weld and CMC done. After forming the wheel well liners with heat, they had no rubbing. They had the stock Pro wheels, and no suspension mods.

There aren't as many Pro guys out there, as there are for the rest of the trims, especially if you take into account the ones that are actually off-roading their trucks. So information regarding modding the Pros is hard to come by.

There are a lot of people insisting certain things won't work for the pro, "because it's not that different" or "it's only one inch" or whatever else. Then you see the guys that make it work. Those guys are typically called liars if they don't have ten different camera angles videoing them at full lock and flex.

I guess my addition to this thread would be "It depends on how much modification you want to do". I would also like to add that I've seen roughly an equal amount of people try the same thing and could not duplicate the results; they ended up with some minimal rubbing, some had to do some cutting to get clearance.
What matters is the wheel offset and width, and true tire measurements. Lift height does not matter. The truck sitting 1" taller on same suspension geometry doesnt matter. sitting lowered doesnt matter. being a pro, sr5, trd, whatever doesnt matter. The tire has to fit at full stuff, as that is the same on all the options and all the lift heights. (obviously when you change suspension geometry this changes)
This thread is misleading unless you drive in a straight line and never travel the suspension. It should be wheel specs and tire fitment, as that ACTUALLY is what matters for fitting different sizes. HTH

What matters is the wheel offset and width, and true tire measurements. Lift height does not matter. The truck sitting 1" taller on same suspension geometry doesnt matter. sitting lowered doesnt matter. being a pro, sr5, trd, whatever doesnt matter. The tire has to fit at full stuff, as that is the same on all the options and all the lift heights. (obviously when you change suspension geometry this changes)
This thread is misleading unless you drive in a straight line and never travel the suspension. It should be wheel specs and tire fitment, as that ACTUALLY is what matters for fitting different sizes. HTH
I agree 100%. I think a lot of the successful 285/75/16 installations I've seen is due to the stock Pro wheels. Most of the guys that couldn't get it to fit were trying to do so with method wheels at a positive offset or something else to that effect. I know my wheels sit at -12 and I believe 7" wide. They're good for most of the common tire applications on these trucks. At least as far as I've seen.

I agree 100%. I think a lot of the successful 285/75/16 installations I've seen is due to the stock Pro wheels. Most of the guys that couldn't get it to fit were trying to do so with method wheels at a positive offset or something else to that effect. I know my wheels sit at -12 and I believe 7" wide. They're good for most of the common tire applications on these trucks. At least as far as I've seen.
Yessir. That "poke" life is also that rub life :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

New here and I just read the entire thread. I have a bone stock 2020TRD OR of want to ditch the stock tires on the stock suspension with factory mudguards (yes I want to keep them as I ride on gravel a lot). I ran pizza cutters on my previous TJ. I am looking for clarification (and hopefully pics 😁) of 235/85/16’s on the same truck. Also as I understand it, I can go 265/75/16 on stock wheels as well with no rubbing (pics welcomed as well)? I think I have read a couple of people saying they had some rubbing with the 255/85/16’s, so I guess those are out for. Sorry if this has been asked 1K times. TIA

One thing to note on the TRD Pro is the track width is 1” wider than the other models: 63.0/63.2 in. VS 64/64.2 in the TRD Pro. The 13mm offset on the TRD Pro wheels is the additional inch, which is why 285’s cause similar issues across the board. So assuming the OEM Fox components don’t interfere or create room, no matter what the Pro’s will fit the same way as the OR’s do.

Last edited:
1590300248580.png

The yellow line represents the center of the wheel and the black lines represent the hub in relation to the center of the wheel. This is how offset is calculated. I hope this diagram helps some of you understand offset. Its really confusing and took me a little bit to figure it out, but once it clicked, it all made sense.

So I’m in need of some help. I’m currently running a 33x12.5R18 with a 18x9 0ffset wheel.
but I’m not liking my stance. Tires stay tucked in fender. I’m looking into getting 17” method 305 but was wondering what size to get to make them come out of fender without putting some spacers

Attachments

• C77304BF-0CCA-40DB-8154-46A389AF89B2.jpeg
    C77304BF-0CCA-40DB-8154-46A389AF89B2.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 299
33x12.5R18 with a 18x9 0ffset wheel.
What is the offset? A -12mm offset will make them poke out of the fenders. But as you stretch the stance and bring the tire outside the fender you're going to increase potential rubbing. I run a 255/85-16 (33x10) on 16x8in wheels with a -12mm offset. Made the stance more aggressive but shrank my clearance on the inner fender while increasing clearance with the UCA.

The offset is 0. Currently and I’m looking into 17” wheels. But if going to negative offset is going to rub more I don’t know if really want to do that

The offset is 0.
What height lift do you have? If you went to a 17×8in wheel with a 33x12.5 (285/70-17) and start going into neg offset you'll most likely need a cab mount chop from what I've researched. One reason I went with skinny 33's. I've seen folks run the 285 with no issue if they keep the 0 offset and high camber alignment

Running 255/80/17 on a 0 offset. Rubbing on driveways and big turning dips. Don’t believe the hype, 255/80/17 does NOT fit on a stock suspension

315/70/17 fit fine..................... 😹

Attachments

• 39643FA4-2801-4404-BAAD-1C6ADC91E883.jpeg
    39643FA4-2801-4404-BAAD-1C6ADC91E883.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 48D20671-F2F4-494F-8B8D-89B7B0589BBF.jpeg
    48D20671-F2F4-494F-8B8D-89B7B0589BBF.jpeg
    512.6 KB · Views: 290
  • BBC1E049-CF03-422A-B67B-E5E75F8AC59A.jpeg
    BBC1E049-CF03-422A-B67B-E5E75F8AC59A.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 317
So I should be pretty safe with 265/70 17x8.5 with a +10 offset on a 19 SR5? Just ordered a set of DX4 Terrain's and putting General Grabber ATX's on them. Thanks

So I should be pretty safe with 265/70 17x8.5 with a +10 offset on a 19 SR5? Just ordered a set of DX4 Terrain's and putting General Grabber ATX's on them. Thanks
Had them installed today with no rubbing issues at all!

Attachments

• 10ABE673-9018-42E4-B445-FF93C27E8C7D.jpeg
    10ABE673-9018-42E4-B445-FF93C27E8C7D.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 6B55B804-ECE9-498D-81B0-16E289D423E4.jpeg
    6B55B804-ECE9-498D-81B0-16E289D423E4.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 270
  • 87CDFD77-6FB7-4E36-901C-0C4988F50B9C.jpeg
    87CDFD77-6FB7-4E36-901C-0C4988F50B9C.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 253
Looks like there was some discussion regarding TRD Pros and stuffing some 285s on it. Just wanted to put my 2 cents in the conversation on my experience.

i have stock TRD Pro suspension that I’ve installed last week. I just installed 285/70r17 on the SEMA wheels (4Runner Pro rims), and so far there has been no rub. Granted I’ve only done street driving and haven’t “flexed”. I did get an alignment and was able to achieve 2.9 caster with stock UCAs, which might attribute to me not rubbing. Also, other people have had success with these wheels due to their desirable offset in terms of not rubbing. Hope this helps. Will update if/when the dremel/heat gun/CMC makes an appearance.

i have stock TRD Pro suspension that I’ve installed last week. I just installed 285/70r17 Also, other people have had success with these wheels due to their desirable offset in terms of not rubbing. Hope this helps.

What is the offset on those rims?

At the opposite end of the table.... is it possible to run 15" rims -with a spacer to clear the brake calipers? Just looking for options.

What is the offset on those rims?

At the opposite end of the table.... is it possible to run 15" rims -with a spacer to clear the brake calipers? Just looking for options.
My wheels are the 4Runner TRD Pro wheels that everyone seems to be rockin. They’re 4mm offset I believe.
mad far as the 15 in rims, not entirely sure about clearing the caliper.

My wheels are the 4Runner TRD Pro wheels that everyone seems to be rockin. They’re 4mm offset I believe.
mad far as the 15 in rims, not entirely sure about clearing the caliper.
Ive been wanting to know exactly what you just explained. I have a 2020 TRD Sport and at my house i have a 5100/887 setup waiting to go in with spc ucas on the way. Been looking into what wheels to get leaning towards the 4runner pros pretty heavy and wanted to know if theyd fit without hard rubbing or cmc. Ill probably buy them now and hopefully they dont rub

Ive been wanting to know exactly what you just explained. I have a 2020 TRD Sport and at my house i have a 5100/887 setup waiting to go in with spc ucas on the way. Been looking into what wheels to get leaning towards the 4runner pros pretty heavy and wanted to know if theyd fit without hard rubbing or cmc. Ill probably buy them now and hopefully they dont rub
The wheels will fit no problem. What Hltaco was saying is he's running HUGE tyres without any rub. Generally with Toyota anything over 31" diameter you should think about rub.
It all depends what tyres you want to run.

The wheels will fit no problem. What Hltaco was saying is he's running HUGE tyres without any rub. Generally with Toyota anything over 31" diameter you should think about rub.
It all depends what tyres you want to run.
I also plan on running the same size as that. I should have included that in my reply. My plan is similar to what he did. Put it on and drive it on the road and see what needs attention. Then once that’s addressed, take it on a trail and see what needs further work. As i only plan on taking this into the woods 1-2 days a month and doing 1 week long expedition with my friends yearly im more concerned about street use

I also plan on running the same size as that. I should have included that in my reply. My plan is similar to what he did. Put it on and drive it on the road and see what needs attention. Then once that’s addressed, take it on a trail and see what needs further work. As i only plan on taking this into the woods 1-2 days a month and doing 1 week long expedition with my friends yearly im more concerned about street use
4Runner TRD pro wheels have an offset that compliments the trucks wheel wells perfectly so that there’s a very good chance you’ll have minimal rubbing. I had to do some minor trimming and use the heat gun to push some of the fender liner away. Otherwise, plenty of room away from the cab mount. Caveat: must find a good alignment shop. My toe and camber was set damn close to 0, and caster was 2.9. This was done with stock UCAs. Best of luck to you with your setup. I love mine.

4Runner TRD pro wheels have an offset that compliments the trucks wheel wells perfectly so that there’s a very good chance you’ll have minimal rubbing. I had to do some minor trimming and use the heat gun to push some of the fender liner away. Otherwise, plenty of room away from the cab mount. Caveat: must find a good alignment shop. My toe and camber was set damn close to 0, and caster was 2.9. This was done with stock UCAs. Best of luck to you with your setup. I love mine.
I already have the spc uca’s on the way and a few of my friends who have 285’s on their tacomas have an alignment shop they rave about so ill be taking it there

I already have the spc uca’s on the way and a few of my friends who have 285’s on their tacomas have an alignment shop they rave about so ill be taking it there
I think you’ll be plenty good. Maybe some minor trimming at worse.

Back