• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tire Size Fitment and Lift

Nice truck! I'm interested on a 2-2.5 inch lift with 285/70/17 along with the Prinsu roof rack. Question is, how much lift do you have and how much room do you have left up top to park the truck in the garage. Assuming that you have the standard garage height.

I have a about a 2 inch lift.. I'm running the icon 2.5 up front but didn't crank them to get the max lift. with my prinsu there is plenty of room to fit under the garage opening (standard). I also run a Plano case and front runner awning on the prinsu mounts and still have about 3 inches to spare

I have a about a 2 inch lift.. I'm running the icon 2.5 up front but didn't crank them to get the max lift. with my prinsu there is plenty of room to fit under the garage opening (standard). I also run a Plano case and front runner awning on the prinsu mounts and still have about 3 inches to spare
Thanks! Good to know there's plenty of space.

I've got the Low Range Offroad 3" packaged lift. Everything you need in one box. 17x8 rims with 285/70/17. No rubbing at lock or over bumps.
20170528_091516.jpg
IMG_0898.jpg

I've got the Low Range Offroad 3" packaged lift. Everything you need in one box. 17x8 rims with 285/70/17. No rubbing at lock or over bumps.
20170528_091516.jpg
IMG_0898.jpg
What is the offset on those wheels?

4.5" backspacing

I’m planning to do no more than a leveling lift and was planning on 265/75R16 tires, like I have run before.

In the first post it says that a 255/80R16 would also fit my needs, but I can’t find anyone who makes that size tire???

I dig the tall skinny tires myself. Just got a set of 235/85/16's for the stock wheels. Upgrading to OME 2.5in lift soon to accommodate the new Summit bumper. I'd put them on now with no lift but the extra 180lb up front has the girl sagging about a half inch. Keeping the stock wheels for winter and looking to get a 16x8 setup in spring. Hopefully that combo works with no issues.

Question to anyone with experience in the matter. Should I get P285/70r17 (4 ply). I’m going to be running trd pro 4runner wheels and a full ome 2 in lift. Plan to add bumper, sliders, skid plates in the future. I am hesitant to buy 10 plys simply because of the weight, but there don’t seem to be many 6 ply options other than Bfg’s which are a tad pricey imo. Sorry for the long post but I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

Question to anyone with experience in the matter. Should I get P285/70r17 (4 ply). I’m going to be running trd pro 4runner wheels and a full ome 2 in lift. Plan to add bumper, sliders, skid plates in the future. I am hesitant to buy 10 plys simply because of the weight, but there don’t seem to be many 6 ply options other than Bfg’s which are a tad pricey imo. Sorry for the long post but I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

What % of time do you think you are going to be using the tires off-road?

I was hesitant to buy my BFG KO2 with a 10ply because of the weight and price. After going through Mojave road and seeing 2 rigs puncture sidewalls I was convinced I made a good choice. Last two tanks on my 285s averaged 16-17 mpg so weight isn’t too much of an issue with easy driving.

Offroad maybe 35% of the time. I don’t think I’ll find many trails like the Mojave here in Mississippi though haha

I just recently bought a new tacoma and transferred my wheels and tires. I have vtx gunmetal rebels 17x8.5 -10 with 265/70/17. I went from my lifted 4cyl to my 2019 off road and rubbed like crazy. Now that I'm lifted all is good but now I'm thinking about bumping up to a 285 so not sure if I'll rub again.
20191123_083351.jpg

My 2 cents, for reference..........

- Bilstein 5100's in front with stock springs, set to the highest groove.
- Stock TRD OR wheels
- 1-1/4" spacers (front only)
- 285/75r16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ
- No changes to rear suspension
- 3 degrees of caster
- no body mount chop

Tracks very well, no rubbing on body mount, does rub on front side of inner fender liner at full lock/full stuff, mainly on the passenger side.
Anything over a leveling lift should include UCA's for proper alignment, in my opinion.
20181119_161616_HDR-01.jpeg
20181119_160839_HDR-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Question for you more knowledgeable folks out there: At what point do you have to worry about regearing with regards to tire/wheel size? I have 19 TRD Sport and have been wanting to get a lift and add 285/70R17 and just want to make sure that I'm good here.

Question for you more knowledgeable folks out there: At what point do you have to worry about regearing with regards to tire/wheel size? I have 19 TRD Sport and have been wanting to get a lift and add 285/70R17 and just want to make sure that I'm good here.
At that size you will be okay. If anything, OVTune will help a lot, which is cheaper and easy to install yourself. I had 285/75r16s on my stock gears and it felt fine. When I went to 35s they didn’t feel THAT bad, but I did regear to 5.29s.

I think it depends on where you are at(elevation and driving conditions). I absolutely hated our truck on that tire size and stock gears. But we are at 6k feet and pretty much everything is uphill from us. YMMV

If anyone wondering about 35x12.5 ET -38 with stock bumper (anyone dumb enough to try this?). Minimal rubbing depending on terrain.
-3” lift
-cmc
-front liners pulled ahead
-solid alignment (can’t recall specs...)

C13D887E-478B-4C2F-9BBC-EEDD32E8AEA2.jpeg
I think it looks really nice with stock bumpers. Sometimes I wish mine were stock but with the 35s.

I think it looks really nice with stock bumpers. Sometimes I wish mine were stock but with the 35s.
Wont be stock for long! Almost a 6 month wait for a C4 hybrid :cry:

At that size you will be okay. If anything, OVTune will help a lot, which is cheaper and easy to install yourself. I had 285/75r16s on my stock gears and it felt fine. When I went to 35s they didn’t feel THAT bad, but I did regear to 5.29s.

I need help, i just completed a 3 inch lift kit on 2017 TRD off road Tacoma. It was lifted 3 inch in the front and 2 inches in the rear. I'd like to go with the Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75 16's to put on my original OEM wheels. According to specs these tires measure 32.83 and 11.26 wide.

Will these rub, i don't want to trim or cut. Will I need spacers?

Please help!

Last edited:
I think with that tire size you will be very close to your control arm so you may actually need a spacer to get away from that. It may juuust clear but its going to be very close. That being said i would do a cab mount chop anyways. You may rub when turning and articulating. I dont personally have experience with the 285's on stock wheels. But i had 275/70's and it was like 1/8" away from my control arm with SPC uppers and a 3" lift.

Oh and mine is a sport so not sure if the offsets and backspacing are the same for the different wheels!

Last edited:
I need help, i just completed a 3 inch lift kit on 2017 TRD off road Tacoma. It was lifted 3 inch in the front and 2 inches in the rear. I'd like to go with the Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75 16's to put on my original OEM wheels. According to specs these tires measure 32.83 and 11.26 wide.

Will these rub, i don't want to trim or cut. Will I need spacers?

Please help!
I had the same tire size on the stock wheels. I only rubbed in the cab corner and top of the fender while flexing. But I cleared the UCA, which is the important part. I had SPC aftermarket UCAs for this.

What UCAs do you have? If they are stock, you will rub them.

I had the same tire size on the stock wheels. I only rubbed in the cab corner and top of the fender while flexing. But I cleared the UCA, which is the important part. I had SPC aftermarket UCAs for this.

What UCAs do you have? If they are stock, you will rub them.

The UCA's are stock. What size spacers do you recommend?

Back