• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tire Size Fitment and Lift

So don’t stone me to death, and the chart above is great. But with 2“ lift opposed to a 3” as stated in the chart. Will 285/75/16s fit if I chop the cab mount, and add -1.25 spacers?

So don’t stone me to death, and the chart above is great. But with 2“ lift opposed to a 3” as stated in the chart. Will 285/75/16s fit if I chop the cab mount, and add -1.25 spacers?
Hard to tell, but a lot of it has to do with the rims you’ll use. Seems like the sweet spot for rims is -10 to 10 offset, and you’ll have a higher chance of not rubbing. I believe the 1.25in spacers equates to -32 offset. CMC would definitely be a must with spacers and 33s. The CMC would probably need to be pretty darn aggressive, unless you just went ahead and did a cab mount relocate....

Hard to tell, but a lot of it has to do with the rims you’ll use. Seems like the sweet spot for rims is -10 to 10 offset, and you’ll have a higher chance of not rubbing. I believe the 1.25in spacers equates to -32 offset. CMC would definitely be a must with spacers and 33s. The CMC would probably need to be pretty darn aggressive, unless you just went ahead and did a cab mount relocate....
The rims ill be using are stock 2017 TRD rims

The rims ill be using are stock 2017 TRD rims
I think those are +25 offset for the off road rims. If adding the spacers, will be at -7 offset all together, which sounds pretty reasonable. Might be able to get away with no CMC as long as your alignment is spot on. Also, have you considered either 0.75in or 1in spacers instead of 1.25in?

what would be the benefit of .75/ 1” opposed to 1.75”? Really I’m just trying to achieve 33” tire fitment

what would be the benefit of .75/ 1” opposed to 1.75”? Really I’m just trying to achieve 33” tire fitment
The more aggressive your stance (wheels popping out from the fender), the more likely you’ll rub your cab mount when turning because it’ll increase your scrub radius.

I’m currently running 33s with only a 1 inch lift. Went off-roading this past weekend and no rub under flex. No CMC as well. If I were to add spacers, I would likely be rubbing and have to CMC.

Anyone running 285 or 295/75R16 on 16x8 -25 offset rims? Currently have 2" lift, wheels on the way and can't decide on the tires.

We’re you able to fit 285/75/16’s on your 2” lift? Any rubbing on/off-road? CMC required?
Sorry for the late reply. Yes they fit just fine. Using SPC uca’s so the alignment wasn’t an issue. Very slight rub in reverse at full lock to the driver side

2018 about to get 6112 front. 5160 in rear with Icon AAL. Approx 2 in lift. Wil I have any issues with if I go 285/70/17. Rubbing or cutting? Thanks
The real question is what’s the wheel offset!? If you have a + offset with that set up you’ll Probly get UCA rubbing. I did with a +20 offset. Find wheels with 0 or -18 offset

I figured i would throw an end all be all in here to settle the age old question "what tire size will fit".
This is my personal opinion and experience, taking into consideration measurements of the wheel well with the cab mount in mind.
You do not have to follow this chart if you have plans to upgrade relatively soon to getting a bigger tire size as it may not be of major importance if that is your plan.
However, it can give you an idea of what will fit with what in regards to tire size and lift with no cutting/molding.

Stock tire sizes (fits regardless of lift size)
17" wheels - 265/65r/17
16" wheels - 265/70r/16

Largest tire without lift (preferred)

16" wheels - 265/75r/16
255/80r/16
17" wheels - 265/70r/17
255/75r/17

3" lift and/or leveling kit

16" wheels - 285/75r/16
255/85r/16

17" wheels - 285/70r/17
255/80r/17

HOW TO DETERMINE TIRE SIZE
ts1.jpg
I figured i would throw an end all be all in here to settle the age old question "what tire size will fit".
This is my personal opinion and experience, taking into consideration measurements of the wheel well with the cab mount in mind.
You do not have to follow this chart if you have plans to upgrade relatively soon to getting a bigger tire size as it may not be of major importance if that is your plan.
However, it can give you an idea of what will fit with what in regards to tire size and lift with no cutting/molding.

17" wheels - 265/65r/17
16" wheels - 265/70r/16

16" wheels - 265/75r/16
255/80r/16
17" wheels - 265/70r/17
255/75r/17

16" wheels - 285/75r/16
255/85r/16

17" wheels - 285/70r/17
255/80r/17

ts1.jpg
Thanks much for the information. But probably just as important, if not more, I’d the WHEEL offset and backspace. If you have a + positive 38 offset, your tire just moved 1.5” closer to the suspension. Another consideration is the actual shape of the tire wall. I had Terra grapplers which were rather round and bulging on sidewalls. My current tires are BFG KO2’s and they are shaped more square with straight sidewalls. I’m running 275/70/17 and they’re totally clear and rub free with a 3” lift, where 285’s were rubbing all over especially the UCA’s. If I had wheels with an offfset it -18 I would probably have had zero issues.

Let us know how they fit with the 295s
A true 33.4-in tire sounds pretty sweet.

So I just got my first truck (2021 Tacoma SR5 4WD) and I’m looking to get some bigger tires and most likely a lift. I’m new to things like this so please be understanding. My stock tires are 245/75r16 Toyo A31s. If I were to run a 3inch lift with 265/75r16 General Grabber ATX tires, would I experience any rubbing or any other issue and also would that be a weird looking setup or would it look pretty standard?

So I just got my first truck (2021 Tacoma SR5 4WD) and I’m looking to get some bigger tires and most likely a lift. I’m new to things like this so please be understanding. My stock tires are 245/75r16 Toyo A31s. If I were to run a 3inch lift with 265/75r16 General Grabber ATX tires, would I experience any rubbing or any other issue and also would that be a weird looking setup or would it look pretty standard?
you shouldn't, I would caution you on doing more than a 2" lift because that seems to be the point where people start having issues

you shouldn't, I would caution you on doing more than a 2" lift because that seems to be the point where people start having issues
Okay that’s good to know. Should I look into a 2 inch front and 1 inch back leveling kit and pair it with 32s? Or would that run risk of rubbing and would I be better off with 31s?

Okay that’s good to know. Should I look into a 2 inch front and 1 inch back leveling kit and pair it with 32s? Or would that run risk of rubbing and would I be better off with 31s?
You could run 265/75R16 with no lift on stock wheels, if you go negative offset then you may have rubbing. I can't say you will have problems with a 3" lift but be aware that you could.

I have a 2017 TRDOR with a little over 2 inches of lift. I have run both 285s and 265s on it. I actually like the look of the 265s a little better.

You could run 265/75R16 with no lift on stock wheels, if you go negative offset then you may have rubbing. I can't say you will have problems with a 3" lift but be aware that you could.
From my experience, I have had no issues with rubbing on/offroad with 265 75 16s (0 Offset, 16x8 4.5bs). I just recently switched to -25, 16x8 3.5bs wheels and I am now rubbing with the 265 75 16s.

I just bought new wheels they’re 17x9.5 with a positive 12 and I’m running 265/70/17 with stock height, anyone knows if I go with a 3” lift will it help push the wheel out so it won’t rub with the knuckle if I go with a bigger tire size I have about 1/4 of a inch so it won’t rub right now. Or should I just go with the same size of wheel 17x9.5 but with a -18 offset
W

Mine are -12 with 285/75/16
Will a 17x9 -12 work on stock suspension with 265 70 17? Will I have any issues??

🪚🪚🪚 cut everything

a 3 inch lift should give you clearance to a 33 inch tire, as long as you don't to wide. Mine had 265-70-17 stock. I am also putting a 3 inch front, 2 inch back and going with the Toyo At III 285 70 17

I have a 2020 TRD Sport 4x4 and I want to run the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/75/R17.

I’m adding a Stage 2A Fox lift to it which will give me roughly 2.5” to 2.75” of lift. I also have the SPC Adjustable UCA’s on it. And will be putting them on the Icon Six Speed wheels size 17 x 8.5 with 0 offset.

I have already done the CMC, but do you guys think I’ll still be rubbing?

I have a 2020 TRD Sport 4x4 and I want to run the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/75/R17.

I’m adding a Stage 2A Fox lift to it which will give me roughly 2.5” to 2.75” of lift. I also have the SPC Adjustable UCA’s on it. And will be putting them on the Icon Six Speed wheels size 17 x 8.5 with 0 offset.

I have already done the CMC, but do you guys think I’ll still be rubbing?
I have pretty much this exact lift and tire size. In addition to the CMC I had to fold the pinch weld over or I'd rub when turning over bumps. I'm running my caster around 3 degrees on Icon UCAs so if you can squeeze out some more that might help you too.

17" wheels - 265/65r/17
16" wheels - 265/70r/16

16" wheels - 265/75r/16
255/80r/16
17" wheels - 265/70r/17
255/75r/17

16" wheels - 285/75r/16
255/85r/16

17" wheels - 285/70r/17
255/80r/17

ts1.jpg
thank you

I have pretty much this exact lift and tire size. In addition to the CMC I had to fold the pinch weld over or I'd rub when turning over bumps. I'm running my caster around 3 degrees on Icon UCAs so if you can squeeze out some more that might help you too.
Thanks. Yes, I did fold the pinch weld too. How about in the front, are you getting any rubbing there?

Thanks. Yes, I did fold the pinch weld too. How about in the front, are you getting any rubbing there?
I've got a high clearance front bumper so there isn't anything left for me to rub on in the front. You may have to do something like the "viper" cut. There are a few videos on here about that particular cut.

I've got a high clearance front bumper so there isn't anything left for me to rub on in the front. You may have to do something like the "viper" cut. There are a few videos on here about that particular cut.
Cool.. I’ll check those out. Thanks!

Back