• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

SR5 2020 Tac rear speakers

Dillon265

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Purchased first Tacoma 2020 I am having issues with rear speakers I can turn volume up to 30 and barely hear the rear speakers anyone have this issue It is a SR5 with V6
Thanx

That is true I just didn’t want to get tied up in a lot of money but it’s starting to happen anyway

Upvote 0
Didn't put that Sony stuff in. Just replaced the factory stuff with Kicker at all four corners and it made a world of difference. If Kicker made transmissions I would really be happy. The one in my truck is JUNK!. 2100 miles on a 2020 and I go to pass someone, I give it some gas it goes nowhere then I hear a big clunk then the truck goes. If I sound angry I am this truck is a POS. My first Toyota and it will be my last!! I never though in a million years Toyota would produce a vehicle this bad.
My wife's 2015 is awesome! I don't get how they could release this 3.5/junk transmission combo! Well...back to the dealership where they know me by name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As soon as I can back to an F150 Lariat. I want to like my Tacoma but I no confidence in this vehicle after the way the transmission acted today.

Upvote 0
How many miles on it Now Tranny issues I will probably get rid of mine in a couple years so I do not take a loss on it
I was so close to buying a new Silverado and I didn’t now I could just kick myself in the butt Same price as Tac
Hope it gets better for you
Rick

Upvote 0
2200 miles. This is a great looking truck. I bought this because we have had a 2011 Sport with 206000 miles and ran like a top when it was sold. Her '15 is awesome no problems at all. Then there is my truck. I just don't get it. I have had F150 crew cabs since 2008 and never had a single issue with them. They ran perfectly from the get go especially the 3.5 ecoboost. When you step on the gas the way you have to on our trucks to get it going the 150 wants to jump out from under you. It's quick, lots of torque.
I had a Focus titanium before this to save some money it is just too small good little car though. Again, I thought I would save some money buying this and have a great truck at the same time. Hopefully it will straighten itself out or put a new trans in it. If not it's F150 time!

Mike

Upvote 0
Replacing your back speakers will not change anything. The problem is the rear speakers are not ran through the amp like the front door speakers. Seems like it would be an easy fix for Toyota but they are claiming it was designed that way so they do not have to do anything. I’ve owned Toyota’s for the past 25 years and this is my fifth one. Looks like I’m re-wiring my entire stereo system with new components. Completely ridiculous to have to do this on a $40,000 plus truck that is brand new. The truck looks beautiful I just wish it sounded that way

Upvote 0
I agree we paid close to the same thing B4 this I had a Charger RT with Beats audio so it is a huge change wirh the Audio I have all the speakers replaced gonna wait to see if I keep it long term or not then will change the Head Unit I guess I have ordered it all threw Crutchfield good prices plus they include all Hardware U need for the speakers I went with Infinity I just want to make sure the head unit runs all the steering wheel controls and fits flush

Upvote 0
Just added the Kicker dash tweeters from the Subaru. I am very impressed and they are plug and play!I am now going to remove the coax Kicker rear door speakers and install my Focal components. I test fit the components in the rear door and placed the tweeter toward the upper right corner of the door panel as your looking at it from inside the truck so when you are in the drivers seat you now hear music..sound... noise!! Yes finally I can hear something!! Then I will add the JL Audio amp and be done with this. Toyota needs the receive the bill for this little project.
I'm trying to have a good attitude I promise

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am torn as far as keeping this truck. It's a great looking truck especially with the pro wheels. But the trans is driving me nuts. Either way it will be my first and last Toyota

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just had Front speakers replaced with
Infinity Primus 3 way Huge difference plus the Infinity’s in the Rear I can hear a little better but the Ones up front huge difference Yes my last Toyota also if Cust Service would have done better than try and just Blow this off it maybe a different story It still needs a Head Unit but not from me the Speaker upgrade is good enough I may change out the tweeters if u can hear a change were they thru Crutchfield
Thanx
Rick

Upvote 0
I cant believe your Tranny is messing up for being new but I told U About my wifes New Ford Fusion with 18k miles so far has had 3 engines New stuff is built cheap and costs $$$

Upvote 0
I ordered them on Amazon from a Subaru dealership. They were $99. They sound amazing. Worth every penny. Takes 20 minutes to install.
you will need a 10mm wrench and 10mm ratchet and a panel tool to pry off the speaker cover.

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I am shocked at the almighty Toyota putting out crap like this. I really want to keep and like my truck but not as is. It's not acceptable!

Upvote 0
When I drive in sport mode the motor is turning more RPM's so it's ok. It's when it's in drive that the motor is lugging because it makes zero power down low and the trans wants to shift and keep the RPM"s around 1100 again, where it makes no power. It get's 22 MPG when it's loafing around but it is not enjoyable to drive!
Flash this damn trans to make it hold more RPM's MPG's be damned. IT"S A TRUCK!!!

Upvote 0
No way Stereo is a big enuff issue we are dealing with and spending more $$ than we should have too But on top of that aTransmission also crap

Upvote 0
The end of next year this truck will be out of my driveway. Back to the always great F150! Iron out a couple issues with the Tacoma and they have a great truck. They dropped the ball with the 2020.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that but mine I will probably wait 2 yrs I always heard how good these trucks are so I tried spent alot of $$ and kick myself daily Be careful of the Ecoboost engine
good luck

Upvote 0
2020 Taxoma SR5 and the same problem no volume rear speakers. Dealer says that they are all like that and therefore no reapair is possible. I bought Toyota to aboid this, should of bought the Ford Ranger, which I like better.

Upvote 0
Let's face it guys, you didn't buy the Tacoma because it has a bitchn sound system. You bought your Tacoma because it's the most reliable truck on the market with the highest resale value and it looks badass. With every new generation of a vehicle you have caveats. There are a few with the Tacoma but if you didn't do your due diligence before buying then it's your bad. Everyone knows that the transmission problem, everyone knows that it lacked Android Auto forever, everyone knows that it's lacking a lot, but we accept that because we know that these trucks will last us 300,000 plus. If you really want to fix your sound issues, don't waste your money tinkering on your shit changing out components when you have garbage power supplies. Just head over to OEM audio and buy yourself one of the two packages and all of your problems will disappear, problems with sound that is. Good luck

Upvote 0
I actually had the dealership grab five sets of keys to brand new Tacomas to see if they have the same speaker issues and everyone of them had the same problem. This is just totally insane that you spend this much for a truck and have a stereo system that doesn’t even work. I leased a 2015 Tacoma and that stereo worked perfectly I guess this all started in 2016. Maybe if enough people complain they will actually do something to fix it. Really annoying that I’m going to have to go and replace the entire stereo system on a brand new truck. I have contacted corporate and opened a case so I will give that a few days and see what happens
Hello all. I have the same issue with my 2020 Tacoma. My son has the same issue with his 2020 Tacoma. Both trucks SR5. My truck has 63 miles. My son has 10K.
I traded my 2017 in for my New 2020 and my 2017 worked perfectly as rear speakers should. I am a professional sound guy and we are being sold a bowl of turds when they claim this is normal on the 2020. Toyota has a serious quality issue and I am not a happy camper because I typically use the fader to blend my speakers to maximize the sound quality. Which overall for a stock radio is somewhat acceptable once the fader is properly blended. We need to stay on them and demand a solution ASAP. I’m love Tacoma but I am very disappointed. This is a global issue that needs correcting.

Upvote 0
Purchased first Tacoma 2020 I am having issues with rear speakers I can turn volume up to 30 and barely hear the rear speakers anyone have this issue It is a SR5 with V6
Thanx
Yes. I have (2) 2020 Tacoma and (1) 2021 Tacoma and the rear speakers can barely be heard even when full fade to the rear. I am not a happy camper and the dealership is telling me this is normal. My 2017 works a it should.

Upvote 0
I think these tacos were designed for dog owners. No one sits in my backseat but my dog is back there and I think loud music which I play a lot would blow his brains out. So I'm kind of thankful the rear speakers aren't as loud as the front. But I will say the front sure pump out the tunes. My question is can I take the speakers out of my brand new Suby and put them in my taco? That sounds like fun. my wife doesn't appreciate good reggae music.🤣

Upvote 0
I believe around 2020 when the head unit was updated, the new one just doesn't output as much power from the internal head unit amp to the rear. They were just produced that way.

Upvote 0
2022 EC SR5 and it has the same problem, barely any sound from the rear speakers. I upgraded to all Kicker speakers and that’s when I realized the problem with rears . I’m trying find a hack for this. I didn’t want to replace the head unit.

Upvote 0
Back