SR5 2020 Tac rear speakers

Reelcane

T3G Level: Lurker
T3G Member
#6,393
I actually had the dealership grab five sets of keys to brand new Tacomas to see if they have the same speaker issues and everyone of them had the same problem. This is just totally insane that you spend this much for a truck and have a stereo system that doesn’t even work. I leased a 2015 Tacoma and that stereo worked perfectly I guess this all started in 2016. Maybe if enough people complain they will actually do something to fix it. Really annoying that I’m going to have to go and replace the entire stereo system on a brand new truck. I have contacted corporate and opened a case so I will give that a few days and see what happens

CentralFLTaco

T3G Level: Bronze
T3G Supporter
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#6,077
My wife has a '15 Sport and it works perfectly. I too have a case open with Toyota. All I can hear in this truck is my dash tweeters. This has to be the biggest POS sound system in years. I had my local dealership put in 2 other head units in my truck and they all did the same BS AND I drove another 2020 and it was exactly the same!
Great audio engineers at Toyota!

Reelcane

T3G Member
#6,393
Funny thing is, everyone I speak to that works for Toyota claims they have never heard of this issue. I don’t see how that is possible. I see Tacoma’s everywhere I go. Ran into a guy at a gas station that had a 2019 and his worked fine. It seems like the rear speakers are not ran through the amp like the front ones are. Purchased mine during New Years so 5 months and counting that I have been trying to get this resolved. So frustrating

Dillon265

First Name
Rick
T3G Member
#5,326
yea i purchased mine in Nov 19 Now were I get mine serviced the Service Tech told me he has had alot of complaints about this but at Corporate they act like they never heard of it

Dillon265

First Name
Rick
T3G Member
#5,326
I just spoke to a Guy at Freemans audio He was telling me he has done about 9 2020 Tacomas replacing Head Unit the thing with them is they are too Costly They R in Concord NC He wanted $350 to replace front and dash speakers with Kenwood

CentralFLTaco

T3G Supporter
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#6,077
I think this is the first year this stereo problem has happened. The head unit is made by Pioneer by the way. This is my first Tacoma also.

I was going to go the head unit route but changed my mind. Not going through all the mess involved. Instead I only replaced my speakers to start. I installed Kicker DSC6930's in the front door and DSC670's in the rear. The cost of these from Crutchfield is $80 and $70 a pair. Crutchfield's part numbers are 43DSC69304 and 43DSC6704. I tried all the high dollar speakers, Focal, Infinity etc. and the Kickers had more detail and were not "muddy" sounding. I would highly recommend these for your truck and the price is right.They have made a HUGE improvement in sound quality. I am also replacing the dash tweeters with the Kickers that are a replacement for the Subaru (they are plug and play as are the Kickers) I will let you know how that goes.

I listen to classic rock, contemporary jazz, reggae and a little bluegrass from time to time. and these Kickers sound great. My next step to level the sound from front to rear with a JL audio 4 channel amp. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Crutchfield yesterday going through the truck and the best way to attack this problem. When I get it installed I will let you know how it sounds.

If you do only one thing put the speakers in. The new ones have added volume and a big difference in clarity and bass. They have added a little more rear volume which has helped the imbalance slightly.
Before I forget.. Crutchfield provides speaker adapters for free and they have wiring adapters so there is no wire cutting!! No I do not work for them!! lol

Cheers Mike

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Dillon265

First Name
Rick
T3G Member
#5,326
Yeah jist replace the back speakers with infinities and I just ordered 6 x 9 infinities for the front I was told the amp wouldn’t do anything so let me know how that works
Thanx
Rick

CentralFLTaco

T3G Supporter
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#6,077
Will do. I am going out now to test fit a component set in the rear. If I can get a tweeter around the door release handle that may make more sound that you can hear??

Dillon265

First Name
Rick
T3G Member
#5,326
That is true I just didn’t want to get tied up in a lot of money but it’s starting to happen anyway

CentralFLTaco

T3G Supporter
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#6,077
Didn't put that Sony stuff in. Just replaced the factory stuff with Kicker at all four corners and it made a world of difference. If Kicker made transmissions I would really be happy. The one in my truck is JUNK!. 2100 miles on a 2020 and I go to pass someone, I give it some gas it goes nowhere then I hear a big clunk then the truck goes. If I sound angry I am this truck is a POS. My first Toyota and it will be my last!! I never though in a million years Toyota would produce a vehicle this bad.
My wife's 2015 is awesome! I don't get how they could release this 3.5/junk transmission combo! Well...back to the dealership where they know me by name.

Last edited:

CentralFLTaco

T3G Supporter
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#6,077
As soon as I can back to an F150 Lariat. I want to like my Tacoma but I no confidence in this vehicle after the way the transmission acted today.

Dillon265

First Name
Rick
T3G Member
#5,326
How many miles on it Now Tranny issues I will probably get rid of mine in a couple years so I do not take a loss on it
I was so close to buying a new Silverado and I didn’t now I could just kick myself in the butt Same price as Tac
Hope it gets better for you
Rick

CentralFLTaco

T3G Supporter
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#6,077
2200 miles. This is a great looking truck. I bought this because we have had a 2011 Sport with 206000 miles and ran like a top when it was sold. Her '15 is awesome no problems at all. Then there is my truck. I just don't get it. I have had F150 crew cabs since 2008 and never had a single issue with them. They ran perfectly from the get go especially the 3.5 ecoboost. When you step on the gas the way you have to on our trucks to get it going the 150 wants to jump out from under you. It's quick, lots of torque.
I had a Focus titanium before this to save some money it is just too small good little car though. Again, I thought I would save some money buying this and have a great truck at the same time. Hopefully it will straighten itself out or put a new trans in it. If not it's F150 time!

Mike

Reelcane

T3G Member
#6,393
Replacing your back speakers will not change anything. The problem is the rear speakers are not ran through the amp like the front door speakers. Seems like it would be an easy fix for Toyota but they are claiming it was designed that way so they do not have to do anything. I’ve owned Toyota’s for the past 25 years and this is my fifth one. Looks like I’m re-wiring my entire stereo system with new components. Completely ridiculous to have to do this on a $40,000 plus truck that is brand new. The truck looks beautiful I just wish it sounded that way

Dillon265

First Name
Rick
T3G Member
#5,326
I agree we paid close to the same thing B4 this I had a Charger RT with Beats audio so it is a huge change wirh the Audio I have all the speakers replaced gonna wait to see if I keep it long term or not then will change the Head Unit I guess I have ordered it all threw Crutchfield good prices plus they include all Hardware U need for the speakers I went with Infinity I just want to make sure the head unit runs all the steering wheel controls and fits flush

Top Bottom