• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

SR5 2020 Tac rear speakers

Dillon265

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Purchased first Tacoma 2020 I am having issues with rear speakers I can turn volume up to 30 and barely hear the rear speakers anyone have this issue It is a SR5 with V6
Thanx

Just checking.
Is your fade control on the Radio set properly ?
Maybe it’s more biased towards your front speakers.

Upvote 0
Yea I checked all the settings When I put all sound in back is when I can not hear anything My Son checked it also said same thing You can turn it up to 30 and barely hear anything Front works great it is just the rear
Thanks

Upvote 0
Then something is wrong with the rear channels of the radio. That would be my guess.

Upvote 0
Yea I checked all the settings When I put all sound in back is when I can not hear anything My Son checked it also said same thing You can turn it up to 30 and barely hear anything Front works great it is just the rear
Thanks
When you are testing, are you using a Bluetooth connection to your phone by chance? Or just the regular radio?

Upvote 0
I was just searching Google because I have the same problem with my 2020 I just bought a couple weeks ago. I changed out the crappy speakers for really nice Kickers and it was completely pointless because you can't hear them.

Upvote 0
Were did You purchase them from And did U just do the rear speakers Your right you can not hear anything feom them
Thanks

Upvote 0
I was just searching Google because I have the same problem with my 2020 I just bought a couple weeks ago. I changed out the crappy speakers for really nice Kickers and it was completely pointless because you can't hear them.
Idk, I don't think that should be the case. Mine has never had this issue and there are a lot of members here who have upgraded audio systems that don't have issues either. I'm not sure what causes this though, and it's pretty unacceptable.

Upvote 0
I agree it had 6 miles on it Brand new It is a Great Trk Gonna take back and see what they say Thanks for everyones help

Upvote 0
In the factory setup your fronts are pull like 85% of the amp power ,factory rear will always suck , needless so say you factory head unit can be faulty there is no TSB regarding but take it to the dealer eith another tacoma same model and compare and go from there

Upvote 0
Well i just picked up my Tacoma from Toyota they are telling me it is the Radio unit not putting out enough amps there is no Cure yet it is all Tacomas supposedly Toyota is aware and working on this due too all the complaints
Thanks

Upvote 0
I've heard of a faulty circuit in sine head units

Upvote 0
Ok update I actually called Toyota sooke with Cust Service they are telling me they never heard of this issue and If they sound low then thats how they are suppose to sound I just stopped at the Dealership spoke to a guy thats been helping me told him everything he assured me that Toyota knows due to all the complaints that they are receiving Anyone have a suggestion of my next step I know probably a waste of time but this is BS Toyota is suppose to call me back Friday
Thanx
Rick

Upvote 0
Ok update I actually called Toyota sooke with Cust Service they are telling me they never heard of this issue and If they sound low then thats how they are suppose to sound I just stopped at the Dealership spoke to a guy thats been helping me told him everything he assured me that Toyota knows due to all the complaints that they are receiving Anyone have a suggestion of my next step I know probably a waste of time but this is BS Toyota is suppose to call me back Friday
Thanx
Rick
It sucks that's life wait for a full TSB on it so it can be warrenty

Upvote 0
Hello! I just purchased a '20 Sport and my radio does the same thing. What garbage! In order to hear the rear speakers I have to fade all the way back to even hear them and they sound very bad. When I fade to the front of the truck one "notch" the front completely drowns out the rear speakers. I guess it's time to visit the dealership after only 1000 miles! If I wanted a sound system from a '69 Mustang I will go buy one lol!!! Come on Toyota you can do better than this!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello, I purchased a 2020 Tacoma sr5 xseries 4x4 and I am having the exact same experience. Does anyone have any updates? I keep getting the run around from the dealership and a different excuse each time. Most recent is, It was designed that way..???? Really? Why put speakers in the rear if they are not designed to work? This makes zero sense. Any information is appreciated

Upvote 0
I have spoke with Toyota they said same thing Suppose to sound like that I just replaced rear speakers yesterday still sound crappy It has to be the Head Unit not putting out enuff Amps is what my Dealership said but they did not do anything If Toyota says there is an issue they would have to replace every head unit that would cost too much for them So they are selling A bad product and will never buy another Toyota again I have same Tacoma as U only no 4x4 for me
Thanx

Upvote 0
I went to my local dealership drove another 2020 and had service check mine out. They removed my head unit and put 2 other ones in and both of them did the same crap mine is doing!! The other 2020 same as mine.

I now have two big boxes from Crutchfield with a Sony head unit (100 x 4 internal amp I believe) and all the stuff I need to make all of my factory stuff work along with Infinity, Focal, Kicker, and JL Audio speakers. Let's see what sounds the best. I'm done with Toyota's bravo sierra!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I actually had the dealership grab five sets of keys to brand new Tacomas to see if they have the same speaker issues and everyone of them had the same problem. This is just totally insane that you spend this much for a truck and have a stereo system that doesn’t even work. I leased a 2015 Tacoma and that stereo worked perfectly I guess this all started in 2016. Maybe if enough people complain they will actually do something to fix it. Really annoying that I’m going to have to go and replace the entire stereo system on a brand new truck. I have contacted corporate and opened a case so I will give that a few days and see what happens

Upvote 0
My wife has a '15 Sport and it works perfectly. I too have a case open with Toyota. All I can hear in this truck is my dash tweeters. This has to be the biggest POS sound system in years. I had my local dealership put in 2 other head units in my truck and they all did the same BS AND I drove another 2020 and it was exactly the same!
Great audio engineers at Toyota!

Upvote 0
Funny thing is, everyone I speak to that works for Toyota claims they have never heard of this issue. I don’t see how that is possible. I see Tacoma’s everywhere I go. Ran into a guy at a gas station that had a 2019 and his worked fine. It seems like the rear speakers are not ran through the amp like the front ones are. Purchased mine during New Years so 5 months and counting that I have been trying to get this resolved. So frustrating

Upvote 0
yea i purchased mine in Nov 19 Now were I get mine serviced the Service Tech told me he has had alot of complaints about this but at Corporate they act like they never heard of it

Upvote 0
I just spoke to a Guy at Freemans audio He was telling me he has done about 9 2020 Tacomas replacing Head Unit the thing with them is they are too Costly They R in Concord NC He wanted $350 to replace front and dash speakers with Kenwood

Upvote 0
I think this is the first year this stereo problem has happened. The head unit is made by Pioneer by the way. This is my first Tacoma also.

I was going to go the head unit route but changed my mind. Not going through all the mess involved. Instead I only replaced my speakers to start. I installed Kicker DSC6930's in the front door and DSC670's in the rear. The cost of these from Crutchfield is $80 and $70 a pair. Crutchfield's part numbers are 43DSC69304 and 43DSC6704. I tried all the high dollar speakers, Focal, Infinity etc. and the Kickers had more detail and were not "muddy" sounding. I would highly recommend these for your truck and the price is right.They have made a HUGE improvement in sound quality. I am also replacing the dash tweeters with the Kickers that are a replacement for the Subaru (they are plug and play as are the Kickers) I will let you know how that goes.

I listen to classic rock, contemporary jazz, reggae and a little bluegrass from time to time. and these Kickers sound great. My next step to level the sound from front to rear with a JL audio 4 channel amp. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Crutchfield yesterday going through the truck and the best way to attack this problem. When I get it installed I will let you know how it sounds.

If you do only one thing put the speakers in. The new ones have added volume and a big difference in clarity and bass. They have added a little more rear volume which has helped the imbalance slightly.
Before I forget.. Crutchfield provides speaker adapters for free and they have wiring adapters so there is no wire cutting!! No I do not work for them!! lol

Cheers Mike

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah jist replace the back speakers with infinities and I just ordered 6 x 9 infinities for the front I was told the amp wouldn’t do anything so let me know how that works
Thanx
Rick

Upvote 0
Will do. I am going out now to test fit a component set in the rear. If I can get a tweeter around the door release handle that may make more sound that you can hear??

Upvote 0
Back