• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Mr. and Mrs. Nobody's Quicksand DCLB

You caught me online. So far it's been great. We're in Bend, Oregon. Staying here two nights... In a hotel. Haha. Camping is great, but so are occasional showers. Plus this town is really cool.

I'll post some good pics soon. Almost none of them are on my tablet but we're having a great time, the truck has been awesome, and we're already considering more upgrades. Haha
Bend is cool. Hood River is also amazing, and across the bridge into White Salmon WA has some cool places as well.

Bend is cool. Hood River is also amazing, and across the bridge into White Salmon WA has some cool places as well.

We're headed towards Hood next. I'll check on White Salmon as well. Thanks for the suggestions. ?

Nice truck. I'm new to this forum. I have a 2016 DCLB. Looking to do a IVD stage 3 lift with my current 265/70/16 KO2. I don't really want to go to a bigger tire yet. Just confirming that your running a 265/70/17 with your lift in all those pictures? I'm trying to see what mine will look like. Also, how much lift did you get from the OME set up? Your truck looks great. I did the same sleeping platform in mine.

Nice truck. I'm new to this forum. I have a 2016 DCLB. Looking to do a IVD stage 3 lift with my current 265/70/16 KO2. I don't really want to go to a bigger tire yet. Just confirming that your running a 265/70/17 with your lift in all those pictures? I'm trying to see what mine will look like. Also, how much lift did you get from the OME set up? Your truck looks great. I did the same sleeping platform in mine.

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm traveling right now.

Yep, all the pics with the black TRD wheels are with 265/70/17 k02's.

I got about a 2 1/2" lift out of it. Maybe 2 3/4". I never measured the truck from the factory and by the time I added the lift I had the shell, tent, and a bunch of stuff in the back.

With the lift the tires are definitely a bit small but they aren't small enough to look funny in my opinion. Plus it's nice to still get the first economy of a smaller tire and not have to regear just yet.

Here's a current pic I took the other day in Coupeville, WA whiile we waited for the ferry.

IMG_20180924_150221846_HDR.jpg

Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for the response. Cheers.

Looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for the response. Cheers.

Its been a rad trip. Every day is something different and awesome. Today was Cape Flattery, the furthest Northwest point in the Continental United States.

IMG_20180926_115917790_HDR.jpg

So I'm a deadbeat and haven't updated this in a while. We've since completed a one month road trip to the Pacific Northwest, a trip to the Sierra's, as well as a trip to Josua Tree.

Center of California on our way north.
Yosemite-1.jpg

The Sol Duc Rainforest in Olympic National Park.
SolDuc-2.jpg

Usal beach on the Lost Coast of California
Usal-14.jpg

I'll add more from the trip later, don't have any more on my tablet.

Joshua Tree.

JTreeGroup-24.jpg

JTreeClimb1-28.jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

Lone Pine, CA
1118ES-10.jpg

We've only done some minor upgrades to the truck lately. Mostly maintenance. We have however added OVTune to the truck and have been running the 1.04r tune. Really looking forward to the release of 1.05. We also added 4 degree shims to the rear axle in hopes of eliminating a whine that started as wwe were returning from Mammoth. Still working on that issue.

We're planning on some big upgrades in the new year. The trip North brought home the reality that we need more self recovery options, namely a winch and all the associated gear. We recovered 3 stranded vehicles along the trip and doing so made us really think about what happens when it's us that's stuck. So with that said we're likely getting a front bumper and a winch in the new year.

Attachments

• JTreeBerdoo-48.jpg
    JTreeBerdoo-48.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Flashed OVTune version 1.05 last night. Definitely different and so far a positive improvement. I'll report more once I have more miles on it.

What an awesome truck, the adventures you have been on make me jealous. Sitting here in boring Missouri lol

Thanks man!! I hope the adventures motivate you to get it and explore as well!

Thanks man!! I hope the adventures motivate you to get it and explore as well!

Oh they definitely do! I have to deal with the 4 seasons every week and that leaves just mud lol. I plan on taking the family across the us to see places that I never have!

Yeah, we don't really have seasons here in San Diego. Just incredibly expensive everything. Haha

Super rad truck. One hell of a build page too. I'm gonna have to add my "Day I bought it photo" to mine. How you like the OME shocks?

Super rad truck. One hell of a build page too. I'm gonna have to add my "Day I bought it photo" to mine. How you like the OME shocks?

Thanks man. I appreciate the compliment. I always laugh when I look back at what the truck was because it has changed so much in such a short time.

I dig the OME's. They are super comfy off-road and predictable on road. I've definitely not been disappointed with the purchase.

Heard the words "metal shavings in your diff fluid" this evening. Not comforting.

Sounds like it's going to be warrantied but I can't lie, I'm freaking out a bit.

god damn my genetics and my non mustache growing abilities.

god damn my genetics and my non mustache growing abilities.

Hahaha, yeah. Mine aren't that strong either. I just grew it long and sure enough it works out. Haha

So about a month back we started hearing a whine upon deceleration from 65-45 mph. It sounded like it was coming from the rear differential and was only when we were off throttle. Definitely concerning, however there is a known howling rear end TSB from Toyota that seemed to fit our circumstances.

So we took it to the dealer (our service writer and tech are awesome) and they checked a few things and noted the noise. We performed the howling rear end TSB and they wanted me to continue driving it for a bit and come back if it got worse. Well it did.

I dropped it off last week as the sound had increased it's range. It was now howling, loudly, from about 70 mph down to 20. The truck was driving fine, but the noise was there. Thinking back now, I was starting to see worse fuel economy, but I was attributing that too a recent OVTune flash and me not being used to driving it yet.

Anyhow, after draining and inspecting the diff the tech found metal shavings and water in the fluid. We have done water crossings, but none very deep, and none recently. So I'm not sure what happened.

IMG953757.jpg

IMG953758.jpg

IMG953756.jpg

My service writer and the tech submitted the paperwork and the diff will be replaced under warranty. Which is awesome. Parts were ordered and we hope to have the truck back soon. That's the new diff circled in red.

FullSizeR.jpg

Have you done the diff breather mod? I haven’t and I’ve done a few water crossings so I imagine I might have water too.

As for the shavings, I don’t know how true it is, but I’ve read that it’s normal to have some shavings and not harmful. It would be different if you got the shavings because of the water or having low oil in general. But the shavings that any new truck gets from just being brand new are okay and there’s a reason Toyota doesn’t require a flush after a few thousand miles like most people think they need to. Idk.

Have you done the diff breather mod? I haven’t and I’ve done a few water crossings so I imagine I might have water too.

As for the shavings, I don’t know how true it is, but I’ve read that it’s normal to have some shavings and not harmful. It would be different if you got the shavings because of the water or having low oil in general. But the shavings that any new truck gets from just being brand new are okay and there’s a reason Toyota doesn’t require a flush after a few thousand miles like most people think they need to. Idk.

I was wondering the same about the quantity of the shavings. I'll have to discuss with the tech when I pick it up. I recently did the diff breather mod. So I'm not sure if it helped or if the water made entry prior to the mod or after.

The truck is all put back together and ready to be picked up. The truck next to mine in the picture is my service writer. Highly recommend the guy if anyone is in San Diego looking for a dealer. Stand up, no bull kind of guy, and he drives a ??.

IMG953914.jpg

Flashed over the latest revision of OVTune 1.05. I was getting an idle fluctuation with the original 1.05. Already the idle is gone and overall the truck feels smoother and better mannered. I definitely think Mat changed a few parameters in the tune and it's definitely an improvement over the original 1.05.

Also bought the OBDFusion app and a Veepeak OBD Bluetooth interface to help monitor the truck. Pretty trick little setup so far.

Poll added for what our next big mod should be. I'm just curious which direction everyone thinks we should go next. ??

Suspension:

ARB Old Man Emu BP-51 Bypass Coilovers and Shocks
Old Man Emu Dakar HD Leaf Springs
SPC UCA's w/greaseable ball joints
Wheelers U-Bolt Flip Kit
Superbumps front bump stops
Superbumps rear bump stops

IMG_20180318_060648176.jpg
IMG_20180407_144329321.jpg

Special thank you to Headstrong offroad for a great deal and helping me decide on the right suspension for my needs.

IMG_20180316_112750025.jpg

IMG_20180619_135823300_LL.jpg
IMG_20180619_140531408_LL.jpg

Whats your opinion on superbumps? I have been debating getting them but when I reached out to them they stated the following below.

"We normally do not run any spacers up front with our superbumps. As most after market suspension is aware of the full range of motion involved with these vehicles. For the rear, the OME shocks are not too long of a shock to worry about damage on full compression as they work fine with the stock bump stops."

Curious what your thoughts are though

Back