• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Recall Latest TSB Update (Fixed Shifting)

SD_Taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Inferno
What’s the scoop with this new TSB update that’s supposed to fix gear selection/shifting? Has anyone here did this update and if so, notice anything? Thanks!

Just dropped my truck Off at Larry Miller Toyota in Peoria Az. Eric(service writer) said that they will gladly fix /do the download, they are also going to replace the blower motor (another TSB).
What's the blower motor TSB?

Upvote 0
Not sure , it just says JON001 recall blower motor. I do know that the tsb 0062-18 is an outstanding upgrade.

Upvote 0
Went to rodland Toyota in Everett north of Seattle today for my appointment
Said they couldn’t replicate the issue but reflashed it for me because I asked for it
That’s how I like my service department

Upvote 0
They flashed it up here In Fairbanks Ak. The tsb helped me with shift points as well. i'm glad i did it.

Upvote 0
Had it done on my wife's '17 OR. I MIGHT notice smoother shifts in lower gears, and the truck definitely isn't shifting into 5th gear by 30 mph under light throttle. Otherwise it made no real difference. I wonder if it was less noticeable in our case because we're running 4.88s, but I would think the gearing would magnify any benefit of the reflash.

Upvote 0
Thanks to a member on the other forum, I got the flash done last week to my '18 6MT. Dealers have been refusing to do the update to trucks with manual transmissions due to the verbiage in the TSB, but like anything, there's ways around that.

Overall, the driving experience is smoother and shifting feels more natural, but I did not experience the dramatic improvement many others have reported. Throttle response, especially at cruising RPM on the freeway, is noticeably improved but still too conservative while accelerating through lower gears. I didn't observe any discernible difference in rev hang with my truck. The hesitation / bucking on takeoff at or near WOT in 1st is still present, but reduced by about 60% and less jerky feeling. This was my #1 complaint, so even though the problem hasn't been eliminated, I'm happy that it has at least been smoothed over a bit. The hesitation I felt shifting into 2nd before is completely gone, but there is now a slight hesitation present shifting into 3rd that wasn't there before. It's less pronounced and in a higher gear so I'll take it, but I find it kind of funny that it seemingly jumped a gear.

I'm happy with the improvement in driveability and am glad that I got it done, but I think guys with earlier production trucks will see the most benefits.

Upvote 0
Trying to get mine done now. They said my VIN isn't on the list so they can't do it. I asked them to politely just stop playing stupid and flash the fucking ECM. It'll either help or it won't. I had to suck their weed and offer some of my dick, but apparently they're now on the phone with corporate to see if they can do it...
Lol ?? I gotta do the same

Upvote 0
Thanks to a member on the other forum, I got the flash done last week to my '18 6MT. Dealers have been refusing to do the update to trucks with manual transmissions due to the verbiage in the TSB, but like anything, there's ways around that.

Overall, the driving experience is smoother and shifting feels more natural, but I did not experience the dramatic improvement many others have reported. Throttle response, especially at cruising RPM on the freeway, is noticeably improved but still too conservative while accelerating through lower gears. I didn't observe any discernible difference in rev hang with my truck. The hesitation / bucking on takeoff at or near WOT in 1st is still present, but reduced by about 60% and less jerky feeling. This was my #1 complaint, so even though the problem hasn't been eliminated, I'm happy that it has at least been smoothed over a bit. The hesitation I felt shifting into 2nd before is completely gone, but there is now a slight hesitation present shifting into 3rd that wasn't there before. It's less pronounced and in a higher gear so I'll take it, but I find it kind of funny that it seemingly jumped a gear.

I'm happy with the improvement in driveability and am glad that I got it done, but I think guys with earlier production trucks will see the most benefits.
I also don’t experience a dramatic improvement so idk.

Upvote 0
I also don’t experience a dramatic improvement so idk.
Yeah, as always, mileage may vary. I think some people were so excited for a "free tune" they blew the improvements out of proportion, and older trucks probably did receive more benefit than newer ones. Either way, it did smooth out how mine drives just enough to make it worth the hassle of getting it done.

Upvote 0
What's the blower motor TSB?
The blower motor fan can and will separate from the shaft of the motor and you will have zero air flow. Happened to a buddies truck about a month ago in 100+ degree weather.

Does anyone know the blower motor TSB yet? Mine has been slowly slowing down and even at max and inside air it's not blowing all that much.

I did the tranny TSB and it made a huge difference in standard mode - not ECT Power. I always take my taco to Bell Road Toyota with the TSB printed in hand and never had any issues with them not doing what I ask. - Just FYI

Upvote 0
Does anyone know the blower motor TSB yet? Mine has been slowly slowing down and even at max and inside air it's not blowing all that much.

I did the tranny TSB and it made a huge difference in standard mode - not ECT Power. I always take my taco to Bell Road Toyota with the TSB printed in hand and never had any issues with them not doing what I ask. - Just FYI
For the tsb on the trans how did you ask them I tried having the dealer near me do it and they were clueless about it

Upvote 0
Dropped mine off this morning for my last Toyota Care service and the TSB. Hopefully they are able to get it done.

Upvote 0
After they test drove it at the dealer, they did the TSB. Covered under warranty, no hassle at all. They said it would take around 500 miles for the truck to "re-learn", so we will see if it made any difference. They did say if I still notice the issue I could bring it back in.

Attachments

• 20180915_124301.jpg
    20180915_124301.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0
Does anybody know if I would be covered under the tsd update I don’t know want to deal with servi advisors bs I have toyota care still I’m at 13,500 miles and only had my truck for a year my taco is a 2017 I’m new to the truck life haha but I do notice all the clunks the truck have and I just want to know if the dealer would help me out without having bs like always

Upvote 0
I don’t want to deal with them saying we have to duplicate the problems waste my gas haha I just want them to say yes your truck falls under that update we will take care of it

Upvote 0
I don’t want to deal with them saying we have to duplicate the problems waste my gas haha I just want them to say yes your truck falls under that update we will take care of it
As far as I know, at least on mine, they drove it to duplicate the issues. I told them I had an acceleration delay on full open throttle, and it was hunting for gears on hills. I have a 2016 with about 53,000 miles and it was still covered under the emissions warranty. I'm sure your's would still be covered being so new. Next time you take it in for your Toyota Care service, mention the problems I had.

Upvote 0
As far as I know, at least on mine, they drove it to duplicate the issues. I told them I had an acceleration delay on full open throttle, and it was hunting for gears on hills. I have a 2016 with about 53,000 miles and it was still covered under the emissions warranty. I'm sure your's would still be covered being so new. Next time you take it in for your Toyota Care service, mention the problems I had.
Ok for sure thanks man I appreciate it I’ll definitely mention it to them when I go on Monday I’m due for service

Upvote 0
They test drove mine and said they could not duplicate the problem. I pretty much had to fight with them to just do the update. After going back and forth, they finally did the update, and the truck feels no different. So I guess YMMV.

Upvote 0
They test drove mine and said they could not duplicate the problem. I pretty much had to fight with them to just do the update. After going back and forth, they finally did the update, and the truck feels no different. So I guess YMMV.
Thanks I figure they would hastle me trying to tell them to duplicate like always but thanks for the info. That’s one thing I don’t want to be doing is fighting back and forth with them to do one simple thing. I think I should be good I only have 13k on my taco

Upvote 0
For the tsb on the trans how did you ask them I tried having the dealer near me do it and they were clueless about it

Yeah, you have to bring the printout of the actual TSB and show it to them. Then explain that this has been happening at some specific point - prefferably that matches what the TSB says. One of the recent ones said at higher elevations... so i mentioned I have a house in the mountains where I go all the time and it happens. Not like they can prove it as phx is at low elevation... anyways, just bring the TSB printed out and make a case for yourself before you get there for least resistance.

Upvote 0
Yeah, you have to bring the printout of the actual TSB and show it to them. Then explain that this has been happening at some specific point - prefferably that matches what the TSB says. One of the recent ones said at higher elevations... so i mentioned I have a house in the mountains where I go all the time and it happens. Not like they can prove it as phx is at low elevation... anyways, just bring the TSB printed out and make a case for yourself before you get there for least resistance.
Thank you

Upvote 0
I took in my truck I showed them the print out of the bulletin and they said your truck doesn’t show up on the system saying that your truck needs the update and I’m just like my truck does everything the bulletin says that’s why I’m telling you and they said well you can leave it here at the shop and we will get to it in 3 days to duplicate the problem I’m just I’m over it already I hate dealers hahaha anyone know where I can do this update my self Hahahaha

Upvote 0
I took in my truck I showed them the print out of the bulletin and they said your truck doesn’t show up on the system saying that your truck needs the update and I’m just like my truck does everything the bulletin says that’s why I’m telling you and they said well you can leave it here at the shop and we will get to it in 3 days to duplicate the problem I’m just I’m over it already I hate dealers hahaha anyone know where I can do this update my self Hahahaha
Yup, pretty much what happened to me except they did it in the same day after fighting. Try a different dealer.

Upvote 0
Had mine done several weeks ago now. Absolutely zero change in drivability. Except that, the Sport shift feature sort of works now. Before you could select a gear and after 5 seconds it would change on its own with no change in speed or load. Now it will at least stay in the selected gear until you apply more throttle. Which still isn't that great, to me anyways.

Upvote 0
Didn’t know that. I thought they were pretty reputable.

Well anyway, they charged me $65 for the flash and not to my surprise the truck feels the same. I don’t know if they didn’t actually do it or if I’m nuts. (Well, I AM nuts... but in this specific case idk if that’s relevant or not.)

Did they give you a hard time. The service advisor was trying to hassle me and I’m like they obviously know something is wrong so let the tech fix it. Otherwise you won’t be receiving any more business

Tyler, Jay, Forget whatever dealer you are using in SD and head for Toyota Chula Vista off Main Street. Ask for Eddy Ruiz. Best service advisor you could hope for. No fucking around, no bullshit. You can even tell him I told you to find him. Dude's legit.

Upvote 0
Tyler, Jay, Forget whatever dealer you are using in SD and head for Toyota Chula Vista off Main Street. Ask for Eddy Ruiz. Best service advisor you could hope for. No fucking around, no bullshit. You can even tell him I told you to find him. Dude's legit.
Thanks for this

Upvote 0
Back