• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Recall Latest TSB Update (Fixed Shifting)

SD_Taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Inferno
What’s the scoop with this new TSB update that’s supposed to fix gear selection/shifting? Has anyone here did this update and if so, notice anything? Thanks!

I did it about a week ago and I did notice a difference. The truck definitely feels better. It's not a rocket now like some are suggesting, but it is noticeable. The truck is doing a much better job of selecting and holding the appropriate gear. It also does a much better job of not holding the gear to long as well. It's still not what it could be, but the shift points in relation to needed torque are vastly improved. I would definitely recommend everyone go get the update as I feel this is a solid step in the right direction for Toyota.

Upvote 0
I did it about a week ago and I did notice a difference. The truck definitely feels better. It's not a rocket now like some are suggesting, but it is noticeable. The truck is doing a much better job of selecting and holding the appropriate gear. It also does a much better job of not holding the gear to long as well. It's still not what it could be, but the shift points in relation to needed torque are vastly improved. I would definitely recommend everyone go get the update as I feel this is a solid step in the right direction for Toyota.

Awesome! Glad to hear, thanks!

Upvote 0
Trying to get mine done now. They said my VIN isn't on the list so they can't do it. I asked them to politely just stop playing stupid and flash the fucking ECM. It'll either help or it won't. I had to suck their weed and offer some of my dick, but apparently they're now on the phone with corporate to see if they can do it...

Upvote 0
Not sure why they are making it this hard.
EF1F945F-7719-4FD7-97AE-5BDB35C5E4A5.png

Upvote 0
Trying to get mine done now. They said my VIN isn't on the list so they can't do it. I asked them to politely just stop playing stupid and flash the fucking ECM. It'll either help or it won't. I had to suck their weed and offer some of my dick, but apparently they're now on the phone with corporate to see if they can do it...
Dang so it's not for everyone??

Upvote 0
Doesn’t make any sense to pay for an update to fix problems that came from the manufacturer.
Looks like very specific VINs, but I agree with you. They know it's an issue with all. Why not flash them all and make all the people happy.

Upvote 0
My VIN was on the list. So after them "testing" my truck for five hours they hooked it up to the computer, saw the TSB required, and performed it. Throttle is way more responsive. Don't feel like I have to stomp it to get up a hill. It quickly and smoothly downshifts and drives way more better.

Upvote 0
I flashed mine last week. I work for lexus so i had access to the software. The health check showed there was an available update for
my 17 ecm and ect. flashed and test drove. much smoother shifting. no early shifting on accel. to harsh shift from park to drive.
its a much more enjoyable truck now. If you are in the Austin, Tx area, hit me up.

Upvote 0
I flashed mine last week. I work for lexus so i had access to the software. The health check showed there was an available update for
my 17 ecm and ect. flashed and test drove. much smoother shifting. no early shifting on accel. to harsh shift from park to drive.
its a much more enjoyable truck now. If you are in the Austin, Tx area, hit me up.
Would you happen to know why the TSB called for T104, but when they flashed mine it was T103? Just curious, and totally agree with what you said.

Upvote 0
Would you happen to know why the TSB called for T104, but when they flashed mine it was T103? Just curious, and totally agree with what you said.
ill check my print out sheet tomorrow at work and let you know what the up to date calibration number was.

Upvote 0
They won't do it because Toyota Carlsbad sucks. Go somewhere else, for everything. That place is garbage when it comes to service.
Didn’t know that. I thought they were pretty reputable.

Well anyway, they charged me $65 for the flash and not to my surprise the truck feels the same. I don’t know if they didn’t actually do it or if I’m nuts. (Well, I AM nuts... but in this specific case idk if that’s relevant or not.)

Upvote 0
Here is my programming report. I just looked at the bulletin, and it doesn’t have the newest calibration listed yet. When I went to program, it showed the 01300 and B0300 cals to be superseded to 01400 and B0400. CHECK T-SB-0058-18 for up to date calibration.

Attachments

• B36C40D3-4095-4649-90F4-D22673B8E0BC.jpeg
    B36C40D3-4095-4649-90F4-D22673B8E0BC.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I went to my local dealer yesterday, and they said the update was only covered under the 3 yr/36,000 warranty, and since I'm outside on the mileage, I would have to pay for the labor, around $65. They assured me most VIN's were eligible for the TSB, but they would have to hook mine up to the computer and make sure. They said since the TSB isn't a "manufacture defect", it wouldn't be covered under my 7 year warranty. I'm going to call around and see if I get the same answer elsewhere, but it all doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0
They're correct it's not a recall but it's a known issue. Call Toyota corporate and ask for help. I did that years ago for my mom's Lexus on a TSB. She had 110k miles on it within 2 years of ownership so it was way out of warranty but I got driveshaft clunk covered.

I went to my local dealer yesterday, and they said the update was only covered under the 3 yr/36,000 warranty, and since I'm outside on the mileage, I would have to pay for the labor, around $65. They assured me most VIN's were eligible for the TSB, but they would have to hook mine up to the computer and make sure. They said since the TSB isn't a "manufacture defect", it wouldn't be covered under my 7 year warranty. I'm going to call around and see if I get the same answer elsewhere, but it all doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0
T-SB-0062–18
Stumble at Wide Open Throttle Takeoff

Got it done today when I did my 45k at Ventura Toyota. Email him the TSB a day in advance. My service advisor says no problem. All I can say is wowww. What a difference. The acceleration is smooth and fast. No more lagging or to punch it for more throttle. She’s a keeper. lol

Upvote 0
Here is my programming report. I just looked at the bulletin, and it doesn’t have the newest calibration listed yet. When I went to program, it showed the 01300 and B0300 cals to be superseded to 01400 and B0400. CHECK T-SB-0058-18 for up to date calibration.
Thanks for looking. I didn't get the ECU programming report. Just the invoice saying "Perform engine and transmission update, T103, T274. TSB called for T104, T274. Just curious. Appreciate you taking the time to check.

Upvote 0
Did they give you a hard time. The service advisor was trying to hassle me and I’m like they obviously know something is wrong so let the tech fix it. Otherwise you won’t be receiving any more business

Upvote 0
Did they give you a hard time. The service advisor was trying to hassle me and I’m like they obviously know something is wrong so let the tech fix it. Otherwise you won’t be receiving any more business
Otherwise trading in for 4Runner.

Upvote 0
In my case, they wouldn't just hook it up and check for the TSB. They wanted to check out the truck. So I had to explain the symptoms. They test drove it and couldn't duplicate the symptoms. Insert eye roll here. So they hooked it up to the computer and checked for any TSBs. It showed as needing one, so they took care of it.

Upvote 0
In my case, they wouldn't just hook it up and check for the TSB. They wanted to check out the truck. So I had to explain the symptoms. They test drove it and couldn't duplicate the symptoms. Insert eye roll here. So they hooked it up to the computer and checked for any TSBs. It showed as needing one, so they took care of it.
The guy said there was one for my vin. So the tech is gonna diagnos it and then figure out if it needs to be done.

Upvote 0
The guy said there was one for my vin. So the tech is gonna diagnos it and then figure out if it needs to be done.
Ask them to perform a health check. The health check will show the calibration number for every ECU equipped on the vehicle. If it says YES in red letters next to ECM and ECT, there is a new updated calibration. If it says NO in black letters. There is no update.

Upvote 0
Just called Cowboy Toyota in Dallas, Tx. will be getting the TSB on Saturday. Hopefully, there will be a noticeable difference. Thanks for the information,

Upvote 0
Just dropped my truck Off at Larry Miller Toyota in Peoria Az. Eric(service writer) said that they will gladly fix /do the download, they are also going to replace the blower motor (another TSB).

Upvote 0
Back