• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Recall Latest TSB Update (Fixed Shifting)

SD_Taco

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Inferno
What’s the scoop with this new TSB update that’s supposed to fix gear selection/shifting? Has anyone here did this update and if so, notice anything? Thanks!

No problem. I see you're in the inland empire, if you dealer is a pain, driving South may even be worth it for you. Seriously the guy is that legit.
Thank you,
So far they’ve treated me well but just with the update they were being dicks about it so thanks ima have to try going there

Upvote 0
Thank you,
So far they’ve treated me well but just with the update they were being dicks about it so thanks ima have to try going there

Give Eddy a ring. Good dude. He'll take good care of you if you have to come all the way down here.

Upvote 0
Had this done during my last service interval and it has fixed ALOT if not all of the issues i was having.

Upvote 0
MORNING ALL, New 2018taco and just had to the TSB 0058-18 completed to stop weird shifting and bucking so to speak, but i heard in a past post that the dealer told them the truck needs a few days/weeks to "relearn" how they drive??
anyone on this concept of relearning? Its mechanical, it is what its designed for and cant "learn" is my perspective.
Santa Claus or is this really going to happen to my truck, as I think mine is still a bit off.
Thnx (Or it could jut be I live in MA and Elizabeth Warren put an Indian Hex on the truck), lol

Upvote 0
MORNING ALL, New 2018taco and just had to the TSB 0058-18 completed to stop weird shifting and bucking so to speak, but i heard in a past post that the dealer told them the truck needs a few days/weeks to "relearn" how they drive??
anyone on this concept of relearning? Its mechanical, it is what its designed for and cant "learn" is my perspective.
Santa Claus or is this really going to happen to my truck, as I think mine is still a bit off.
Thnx (Or it could jut be I live in MA and Elizabeth Warren put an Indian Hex on the truck), lol

Toyota programmed the Tacoma transmission to "learn" your driving style and adapt to it by using whichever of the many preprogrammed shift maps it believes suits your driving style at that exact moment to provide the best power/fuel economy/comfort etc. This learning process takes place over the first thousand or so miles of driving the truck and eventually (supposedly) the erratic shifting mellows out. It can also be reset at any time by the dealer. Sound confusing? Don't worry, your transmission is just as confused. When the dealer flashes the new TSB programming onto the transmission control unit the truck must start this whole learning process over again. It should settle down after about 1000 miles. Opinions vary about the end result of the learning process after the latest TSB update.

Upvote 0
Toyota programmed the Tacoma transmission to "learn" your driving style and adapt to it by using whichever of the many preprogrammed shift maps it believes suits your driving style at that exact moment to provide the best power/fuel economy/comfort etc. This learning process takes place over the first thousand or so miles of driving the truck and eventually (supposedly) the erratic shifting mellows out. It can also be reset at any time by the dealer. Sound confusing? Don't worry, your transmission is just as confused. When the dealer flashes the new TSB programming onto the transmission control unit the truck must start this whole learning process over again. It should settle down after about 1000 miles. Opinions vary about the end result of the learning process after the latest TSB update.
Thank You, this is my 3rd Tacoma starting back to the 80's and even a tundra with 375k miles on it to get me here, but I never had a transmission bump in the road so this is a first, Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thank You, this is my 3rd Tacoma starting back to the 80's and even a tundra with 375k miles on it to get me here, but I never had a transmission bump in the road so this is a first, Thanks again.

No worries. The Tacoma transmission is definitely quirky, for lack of a better word. It takes time to get used to, and even now that I'm used to it I still have my issues with it. I'm not sure what the solution is yet for me between OV Tune, gearing, or just leaving it alone and hoping Toyota does something more than the recent TSB.

Upvote 0

I just picked up a 2019 Tacoma a couple weeks ago. It’s been annoying with it hunting for a gear while driving (90% hwy one small hill). I have roughly 1200 miles on it now, will this thing figure it out it’s shifting pattern?

Upvote 0
I just picked up a 2019 Tacoma a couple weeks ago. It’s been annoying with it hunting for a gear while driving (90% hwy one small hill). I have roughly 1200 miles on it now, will this thing figure it out it’s shifting pattern?

It should slow down soon, but don't expect a major change. That's the nature of this transmission. It will still shift more frequently and more erratically than most any car you've ever driven. Opinions vary that the learning process takes anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 miles or so. My transmission shifts less than it did after I analyzed my driving habits and adjusted them to the transmissions style.

Upvote 0
It should slow down soon, but don't expect a major change. That's the nature of this transmission. It will still shift more frequently and more erratically than most any car you've ever driven. Opinions vary that the learning process takes anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 miles or so. My transmission shifts less than it did after I analyzed my driving habits and adjusted them to the transmissions style.

Thanks. This truck is definitely different from the Ram Diesel I just traded in for it.

Upvote 0
Thanks. This truck is definitely different from the Ram Diesel I just traded in for it.

Yeah that's s completely different animal. It the transmission continues to bother you, you may consider a software time from Orange Virus, or OV Tune. Lots of happy people after that. I'm still heavily considering it.

Upvote 0
Yeah that's s completely different animal. It the transmission continues to bother you, you may consider a software time from Orange Virus, or OV Tune. Lots of happy people after that. I'm still heavily considering it.

Yeah I may have to go that route as well.

Upvote 0
I just had mine re-flashed. The first attempt I went in to the Toyota Bountiful, UT where I bought my truck. The kid had no idea what I was talking about and seemed too busy to really talk to me about it. So I went to Larry H. Miller in Murray, UT and the guy in there knew immediately what I was talking about. I didn't have to convince or even say much. He knew what to do.

He also told me to drive like a grandma for the first 500 miles or so for it to learn my driving habits. I'm not really a lead foot, but the transmission forced me to floor it every time I needed to pass someone on the freeway; just to get that gear I needed to do so.

I've only driven about 5 miles and I can feel it being a little different. Not sure if its placebo effect or not yet. If this doesn't help, I'm going with OVTuned. I'll check back after I evaluate it better.

Upvote 0
I just had mine re-flashed. The first attempt I went in to the Toyota Bountiful, UT where I bought my truck. The kid had no idea what I was talking about and seemed too busy to really talk to me about it. So I went to Larry H. Miller in Murray, UT and the guy in there knew immediately what I was talking about. I didn't have to convince or even say much. He knew what to do.

He also told me to drive like a grandma for the first 500 miles or so for it to learn my driving habits. I'm not really a lead foot, but the transmission forced me to floor it every time I needed to pass someone on the freeway; just to get that gear I needed to do so.

I've only driven about 5 miles and I can feel it being a little different. Not sure if its placebo effect or not yet. If this doesn't help, I'm going with OVTuned. I'll check back after I evaluate it better.
He wants you to drive like a grandma so it can learn your driving habits? But what if your habits are driving it like you stole it all the time? That seems odd.

Let me know what you think after further testing. Watch out for that placebo because it honestly ended up doing nothing for mine.

Upvote 0
He wants you to drive like a grandma so it can learn your driving habits? But what if your habits are driving it like you stole it all the time? That seems odd.

After much thought about this, if I drive like a grandma, anything more than grandma is hauling ass. Less than half throttle = grandma. More than half = stolen.

Upvote 0
It worked for mine tremendously. I have zero gear hunting, however i can feel a more slight loss of power.

Upvote 0
HMMM, Just picked up my 8k, 2018 taco while in for oil change and had the usual TSB correction for transmission performed about 2k miles ago.
I didn't really notice much difference so I asked them to check it again (to document it. hint hint) and I guess it got better than searching for gears when I drove it again? placebo effect I think, but the dealer kid said Toyota is all too well aware, which means "jack sh87*T" BUT I did take a new 2019 out for a ride so he could prove they all do it, or shift the same...and they do.
so, motto of the story, I have none.
I traded in an 03 Tundra with 376,k on it, im afraid to think of what this one will bring for longevity of being even kinda close to Toyotas old reputation...

Upvote 0
HMMM, Just picked up my 8k, 2018 taco while in for oil change and had the usual TSB correction for transmission performed about 2k miles ago.
I didn't really notice much difference so I asked them to check it again (to document it. hint hint) and I guess it got better than searching for gears when I drove it again? placebo effect I think, but the dealer kid said Toyota is all too well aware, which means "jack sh87*T" BUT I did take a new 2019 out for a ride so he could prove they all do it, or shift the same...and they do.
so, motto of the story, I have none.
I traded in an 03 Tundra with 376,k on it, im afraid to think of what this one will bring for longevity of being even kinda close to Toyotas old reputation...
Your truck still shifts weird, the 2019 shifted weird... come on Toyota. Why u do dis? Just make the truck drive properly and don’t diminish the legendary reputation that you earned with the Tacoma.

Upvote 0
I’ve put about 500 miles on this update. Still not feeling much of a difference. And the difference I do “feel” is probably placebo effect. It is such a struggle to pass people and to keep up with the flow of traffic. I find myself needing to 3/4 throttle it or throw it into sport mode and force shifting it. The truck performs like an on-off output rather than a smooth analog output. Average MPG is 17

Upvote 0
How do we find out if our vin is included in the tsb? The dealer? Off hand you guys aware if this includes 19s or is it already implemented?

Upvote 0
How do we find out if our vin is included in the tsb? The dealer? Off hand you guys aware if this includes 19s or is it already implemented?
I’m not sure but I just took my truck in for normal maintenance and asked them to perform the TSB. Just tell them it is shifting erratically. I feel a difference in the shifting. It seems to stay in the correct gear longer.

Upvote 0
It seems like some dealerships have more knowledge on this than others.

Trying to get mine done now. They said my VIN isn't on the list so they can't do it. I asked them to politely just stop playing stupid and flash the fucking ECM. It'll either help or it won't. I had to suck their weed and offer some of my dick, but apparently they're now on the phone with corporate to see if they can do it...

Upvote 0
I flashed mine last week. I work for lexus so i had access to the software. The health check showed there was an available update for
my 17 ecm and ect. flashed and test drove. much smoother shifting. no early shifting on accel. to harsh shift from park to drive.
its a much more enjoyable truck now. If you are in the Austin, Tx area, hit me up.

Nice, this is good feedback.

Upvote 0
Ya, if I had any idea about this, I would have stayed with A new Tundra instead which has its own issues but not a majpr major component as the transmission. UGHHHHHH!
f on u-tube its a wonder to see all the rock climbers going at it way out west and doing donuts,,ect..
I could never do that with my truck, I would need the throttle/gas peddle down 75%.
well, Its more of a "type" of shifting they designed, at least it's not doing this as an engineering error possibly damaging the gears slowly, I made that wasn't the case, albeit with the Stealer (dealer).

Upvote 0
Finally got my 2016 MT done yesterday. The more I drive the more I notice the difference. The overall throttle curve feels unchanged but the instantaneous delivery is smoother, especially in first and second gears.

Upvote 0
Back