• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

I honestly haven’t seen many 18” wheels on these trucks which kind of tells me that it might not work. I’m a fan of the “more tire less wheel” club with trucks but to each their own.

There’s a few around, doesn’t look bad imo.
However if I wouldn’t have to compromise with the wife I would do 17s on skinny 33s. But she’s in love with fuel hostage’s in 18”. Eventually I want to get to 35s. It’ll happen & it’ll be glorious lol

I’ve been looking around for lift kits and I’m trying to figure out what each of there strengths and weaknesses are but every shop I go to says something different and the all sell the same things. So with that said what does everyone suggest between Extended travel with an aal kit Icon, King and Fox? Any help would be awesome.

I’ve been looking around for lift kits and I’m trying to figure out what each of there strengths and weaknesses are but every shop I go to says something different and the all sell the same things. So with that said what does everyone suggest between Extended travel with an aal kit Icon, King and Fox? Any help would be awesome.
Personal preference, they're all quality. To make it harder on you, you should consider ADS also.

Icon uses digressive valving. The Fox and King use progressive valving. ADS are digressively valved on the rebound side and progressively valved on the compression side. Progressive will be softer at lower speeds and firmer at higher speeds. Digressive are the opposite, stiffer at lower speeds and softer at higher speeds. So, as a general rule, progressive shocks will ride nicer on the street and at lower speeds off-road (~25 MPH or so depending on terrain), while the digressive shocks will be firmer on the street but soften up at higher speeds off-road if that's your thing.

Last edited:

Your Kings are your Cadillac suspension, designed for racing off-road at higher speeds and absorb hard impact tremendously, which is why they cost significantly more. IVD (icon vehicle dynamics) has a broader array of choices with their stage suspension (stage 3,6,10) whatever. Icons are a great option and provide the ability to soften or harden your ride just like the Kings. A stage 10IVD is a great option for extended travel but will run you 5-6k without installation. I would also suggest an aftermarket leaf pack rather than an AAL.

When it comes to it, everyone has their preference, and everyone will say something different for suspension. Fox, IVD, and King are all huge names and are all geared towards their own application and all amazing companies with strong reputations for providing some of the best in class suspension. That being said, you need to look at what your target application will be, and look at actual numbers provided by the manufacturer. This is honestly the best way to go next to asking someone who’s built around a similar application.

The fox’s that came stock on my TRD pro are extremely sufficient regardless of not having an external resi, or not being adjustable really in any way, but for what I do, they have been absolutely incredible which is why I saw no point in swapping them.

Just do some research for your self then look at the anecdotal side of things from users.

If you don't want to look like 80% of 3rd gen owners with a pro grille, I'd recommend one from customcargrilles. Mat is a good guy to work with, there's a lot of different options available from him, and he is one of the few people that has a TSS compatible grille.
Do you use one of these grilles? If so was the install hard? I looked them up they look good. Any sensor issues?

Do you use one of these grilles? If so was the install hard? I looked them up they look good. Any sensor issues?
Yes, I have a prototype version. The install was incredibly easy, the best part is you don't retain any original grille parts. But like all aftermarket grilles you have to be patient and careful with the tabs. I've had no issues with the sensor, and it's been in almost every weather conditions and I have around 10k miles on it.

Had Fox 2.5 Coil Overs installed and not to happy with the lift in the front. adjusted pre load and still not level. Yes 3rd Gen and Yes I am aware the 3" only does 2" on a 3G. Anyone else experienced this and can you add a 1/4-1/2" spacer to assist with a bit higher? Seeing how we lose an inch because of owning a 3g im wondering if this will still work?

Had Fox 2.5 Coil Overs installed and not to happy with the lift in the front. adjusted pre load and still not level. Yes 3rd Gen and Yes I am aware the 3" only does 2" on a 3G. Anyone else experienced this and can you add a 1/4-1/2" spacer to assist with a bit higher? Seeing how we lose an inch because of owning a 3g im wondering if this will still work?
Thats odd. My coil overs (Icon 2.5's) were bolted on without even touching the pre load and it came out perfectly level. If I cranked on the pre-load, it would have been way too high in the front.

Thats odd. My coil overs (Icon 2.5's) were bolted on without even touching the pre load and it came out perfectly level. If I cranked on the pre-load, it would have been way too high in the front.
yea not with these. they are the 0-3" Fox 2.5 but because it is a 3rd gen and sits higher it only gets 2". The problem is the leaf i put in the back. I am not gogin to take it out just need a solution to bring the front up a bit more. any ideas?

Has anyone ever ran the General Grabber All Terrain tires? If so, opinions? I know General is typically a cheap tire, but these guys from Expedition Overland are running them and swear by them. Idk if maybe they’re sponsored or what.

Question: on a TRD Pro can you fit 275/70r16 KO2s with out rubbing since it come with Fox shocks? What’s the biggest tire you can fit on a Pro? Thank you.

yea not with these. they are the 0-3" Fox 2.5 but because it is a 3rd gen and sits higher it only gets 2". The problem is the leaf i put in the back. I am not gogin to take it out just need a solution to bring the front up a bit more. any ideas?
What leaf pack did you get?
You may just be too high in the rear. These trucks can only go like 2.5 inches up front before problems start to happen. You can run spacers, but then it kind of negates the $ you spent on premium suspension unless you never plan to off-road it and just want the truck bling.

Ok, here's a new question that I couldn't find elsewhere.... Anyone else have issues with the A/C? On a hot day (over 90F) it blows decidedly less well when I'm on the highway and the engine is working compared to idle or lower speeds/downhill (it's really flat here in MN so not much of that).

The only time it's completely failed was on my first road trip in central WY. Rolling hills, moderate altitude (4000-5000), loaded for camping (rack on top but not towing), 65mph +/- and temps in the mid-90's. The only time the AC wasn't blowing warm air was on the downhills.

My dealer checked it out and found no issues. At no time has the temperature gauge budged from its normal state (needle is always vertical).

My thoughts are: A) the 3.5L is inadequate for this vehicle (as we know) and Toyota has tuned things on the conservative side with respect to the A/C's demands on the engine, B) there's a sensor whose calibration is off and causing the system to be abnormally conservative.

Any other ideas?

Ok, here's a new question that I couldn't find elsewhere.... Anyone else have issues with the A/C? On a hot day (over 90F) it blows decidedly less well when I'm on the highway and the engine is working compared to idle or lower speeds/downhill (it's really flat here in MN so not much of that).

The only time it's completely failed was on my first road trip in central WY. Rolling hills, moderate altitude (4000-5000), loaded for camping (rack on top but not towing), 65mph +/- and temps in the mid-90's. The only time the AC wasn't blowing warm air was on the downhills.

My dealer checked it out and found no issues. At no time has the temperature gauge budged from its normal state (needle is always vertical).

My thoughts are: A) the 3.5L is inadequate for this vehicle (as we know) and Toyota has tuned things on the conservative side with respect to the A/C's demands on the engine, B) there's a sensor whose calibration is off and causing the system to be abnormally conservative.

Any other ideas?
I'm not sure why but the A/C in my '18 is noticeably less effective than the A/C in my '16 was. It's the one and only thing I can say was better about my '16. The parts and everything should be identical so it doesn't make sense. I'm not sure what's up with it, but my entire family has made the observation that the A/C in the newer truck just can not keep up as well as the one in the older truck on extremely hot, humid days, so I know it's not just my imagination.

have a '17 and the AC down here in the desert has blown nicely so far and we are 79.9999% of the time above 90 deg LOL

What leaf pack did you get?
You may just be too high in the rear. These trucks can only go like 2.5 inches up front before problems start to happen. You can run spacers, but then it kind of negates the $ you spent on premium suspension unless you never plan to off-road it and just want the truck bling.

Yea it is just an add a leaf instead of a block.. The back is higher of course because of that. I not sure it would negate the fact I spent money on good shocks. I mean look at lift kits with spacers and drop brackets.. I was thinking a .25 to .5 " spacer would solve the issue. This would achieve the full 3" the shock is allowed to go. Having a 3rd Gen we are loosing an inch on the Fox and would like to regain that back.

I'm not sure why but the A/C in my '18 is noticeably less effective than the A/C in my '16 was. It's the one and only thing I can say was better about my '16. The parts and everything should be identical so it doesn't make sense. I'm not sure what's up with it, but my entire family has made the observation that the A/C in the newer truck just can not keep up as well as the one in the older truck on extremely hot, humid days, so I know it's not just my imagination.

This sounds pretty familiar, thanks for the reply. I figured with all the folks on here from AZ and CA that someone else would experience something similar.

This sounds pretty familiar, thanks for the reply. I figured with all the folks on here from AZ and CA that someone else would experience something similar.
Yeah, it's been consistently over 110* and 40-50% humidity and the A/C in my new truck is just barely able to cool it down to comfortable levels by the time I get home from work on days like that, which is about a 15 minute drive. I think my old truck was able to cool it down and keep it cool in 8-10 minutes on the worst of days. There shouldn't be any reason for this, the only thing that is different is the age of the trucks and my window tint. I did have 20% Excel IRP on the last one including 50% on the windshield, and the new truck has some kind of mystery tint the dealer had installed which seems to be about 30% with nothing on the windshield, but still... once the truck is up and running I can't imagine the tint alone having that dramatic of an effect on its ability to cool down.

I was following the OVTune subject here and made me think of something weird that happened today.
Just bought a 2018 TRD Sport and haven't really got on the motor hard yet. Today I had to in traffic. Driving at 65 then punched it to get around a semi. Soon as I smashed the gas it started to pickup then lost power and picked back up again.
From that tuning topic, my guess is that's a normal reaction?

I just want to make sure nothing broke lol

how big can one go without having to think about regearing?
As far as you want, really. For me, my '18 6MT with 4.30s felt perfect for the first couple of months with 265/70R17s... but now that I have 285/75R17s I am definitely yearning to get back what I lost. It's not as bad as my automatic truck was with 285/70R17s, but close.
I was following the OVTune subject here and made me think of something weird that happened today.
Just bought a 2018 TRD Sport and haven't really got on the motor hard yet. Today I had to in traffic. Driving at 65 then punched it to get around a semi. Soon as I smashed the gas it started to pickup then lost power and picked back up again.
From that tuning topic, my guess is that's a normal reaction?

I just want to make sure nothing broke lol
It's hard to say but I can pretty much guarantee nothing broke. The most common tuning issues include throttle tip in, "flat spots" and "surges" in the power curve, hesitation and delays accelerating at WOT, and jerky/bucking behavior that isn't due to driver error in trucks with manual trans.

I've noticed my AC isn't that effective as well. 85-90 degrees is okay but not great. The real problem is when you get into temps around/above 100. The AC isn't very effective at all and if you are sitting in one spot the engine will overheat. When we are on the trail and stop for long periods, I have to turn the AC off to cool the engine.

I've noticed my AC isn't that effective as well. 85-90 degrees is okay but not great. The real problem is when you get into temps around/above 100. The AC isn't very effective at all and if you are sitting in one spot the engine will overheat. When we are on the trail and stop for long periods, I have to turn the AC off to cool the engine.
That’s weird. I live in the Mojave and I’ve never had a problem with the AC or with it overheating

My '16 would overheat in the summer when we were off-roading. No issues with the '18 in that regard. The A/C just isn't as good. It works, but it takes longer to cool down and doesn't ever get to the point where you're freezing like the old one would. It's weird, but I'll live with it.

That’s weird. I live in the Mojave and I’ve never had a problem with the AC or with it overheating
I noticed it when we did the Cleghorn trip. Every time we stopped for any period of time, I had to turn the AC off to cool the engine.

I noticed it when we did the Cleghorn trip. Every time we stopped for any period of time, I had to turn the AC off to cool the engine.
Did your truck come with the factory tow package?

Back