• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

Is the navigation voice supposed to lower the music volume when it talks? I always thought it did but now I can’t figure it out and can’t hear her even on 7 volume.

And does this have a purpose?
255DC05E-C85C-4664-B23C-7C796AB92408.jpeg

The visor clip is for cards,receipts etc. I Good question on the nav voice, I have the same problem.

Half the time it won't have voice on mine. And I have the same volume issue. Granted, that is with using google maps.

When iplug in my phone to the usb for charging, it automatically assumes that i am trying to play sound through my stereo. For this reason i do not hear any gps voice on my phone and miss exits, unless i’m also listening to music from my phone or have my audio mode on usb. Any way to prevent this? I want to be able to listen to the radio and have my phone still give directions from the phone speaker.

Does anyone know how to “help” the rear locker engage when it’s struggling? I generally try to roll a little for it to lock, but often times on uneven terrain, it’s very hard to have it engage.
A little bit of left and right steer from center while rolling. Same as disengagement. This will allow the axles to match up splines and engage. While disengaging it will help remove tension from whichever axle side is loaded causing it to stay locked. If one of the wheels youre locking is in the air, proceed very carefully as locking a spinning wheel can cause serious damage to the rear end. There are some circumstances where u will likeley need to make a choice to risk mechanical damage if u are stuck by yourself with no winch or comealong etc...

A little bit of left and right steer from center while rolling. Same as disengagement. This will allow the axles to match up splines and engage. While disengaging it will help remove tension from whichever axle side is loaded causing it to stay locked. If one of the wheels youre locking is in the air, proceed very carefully as locking a spinning wheel can cause serious damage to the rear end. There are some circumstances where u will likeley need to make a choice to risk mechanical damage if u are stuck by yourself with no winch or comealong etc...
Thanks!

Is it possible to make a quality build from an SR model? (Budget conscious build)
Short answer, yes. Been there, done that. Here's a link to my old truck / SR budget build thread to get an idea of what's possible: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/0utkasts-rock-flinging-expoturd-build-bs.400243/

Long answer, it really depends on what your specific needs are. If you plan on adding lockers and regearing down the road, that alone costs about as much as the difference to upgrade to an Off Road without any extra bells and whistles, especially if you're open to manual transmissions and can get the 4.30s stock. Just food for thought. I owned that '16 SR for 2-1/2 years and now I have an '18 Off Road, so feel free to reach out to me if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
What is the benefits of an air locker over a torsen locker, like Eaton Trutrac?

Air lockers can be engaged and disengaged whenever the need is required. Torsion lockers will engage at any slip of a wheel , both do the same thing essentially but with a air locker you have full control and freedom with it .

Hello Everyone. I am new here. I have a 2018 TRD Off-road double cab LB. I am looking at doing some upgrades without having to do a lift. I am looking at changing wheels/tires, grill and adding a topper. I’m not sure what route to go on wheels. I’ve been looking at 16” VTX, 16” methods and 17” TRD Pro rims that come on the 4-runners. I have no idea how big I can go tire wise if I get 17” rims. I’m looking at getting BFG KO2 tires. Any recommendations?

before I did my lift on my 17 DCLB I had 16" methods with 265/75/16 K02's with only a little bit of plastic rubbing. The rubbing only occurred when I was making hard turn and going up an incline or bump (ie. entrances). Easy to fix. I didn't cut any plastic though because I added a 2" lift couple months later.

Air lockers can be engaged and disengaged whenever the need is required. Torsion lockers will engage at any slip of a wheel , both do the same thing essentially but with a air locker you have full control and freedom with it .

Yes, all of that. I also believe the torsen is always locked when in straight line and delivering partial power when turning as each wheel rotates at different speed. This is fine for a rear axle, but front can become somewhat of a pain as you may be turning your wheel left and right to get through an obstacle. Also the torsen may (this is just a speculation) make the taco traction system go into crazy town.

All in all, if you are tearing into an axle to say get re-geared, spend the money on a selectable locker (air, electric, cable.) You will be much happier in the long run, especially if the truck is also your DD.

just my 2 cents, feel free to correct if wrong.

Yes, all of that. I also believe the torsen is always locked when in straight line and delivering partial power when turning as each wheel rotates at different speed. This is fine for a rear axle, but front can become somewhat of a pain as you may be turning your wheel left and right to get through an obstacle. Also the torsen may (this is just a speculation) make the taco traction system go into crazy town.

All in all, if you are tearing into an axle to say get re-geared, spend the money on a selectable locker (air, electric, cable.) You will be much happier in the long run, especially if the truck is also your DD.

just my 2 cents, feel free to correct if wrong.
We agree, love running ARBs for this reason. Full selectability in 2wd or 4wd in the rear, brapping through the desert, locked in 2wd is pretty fun :LOL:

When you install the 887 OME kit, do you also get a leveling kit? Just lifted mine and it looks like the rake is much more pronounced now?
337274BA-1DF5-4B50-BDAA-391ED30BD1C8.jpeg

About 1” of take is good. Nothing wrong with that.

Hello all!! newbie to the forum, just wanted to get that out of the way. I am curious about soft roll u p tonneau covers and any advice you have whether it be to stay clear of curtain ones, or ones you recommend.
Thanks in advance. Happy to be apart of T3G, hopefully learn alot.

@Rob Daman just FYI the weather strip on your Prinsu is upside down :facepalm:
maybe we should make a how to video!

Hey, thanks for checking out my Taco build!

I actually did that on purpose because of reports of the rubber rubbing into the clearcoat which it actually did. I still wanted to see if the strip flipped over would buffer some of the wind noise and it actually did but not as nearly when flipped "right side up".

If you haven't watched my prinsu video, check it out. You would have seen it right side up. (y)

I can whip up a video and give you a shout out on it if you think Taco owners need this ;).

Hey, thanks for checking out my Taco build!

I actually did that on purpose because of reports of the rubber rubbing into the clearcoat which it actually did. I still wanted to see if the strip flipped over would buffer some of the wind noise and it actually did but not as nearly when flipped "right side up".

If you haven't watched my prinsu video, check it out. You would have seen it right side up. (y)

I can whip up a video and give you a shout out on it if you think Taco owners need this ;).

Maybe try clear bra under the weather strip to protect the paint? I applied 3 coats of wax and a yearly ceramic coat to the roof to protect the paint. Going on a year and a half with the rack and no issues what so ever.

Ya. good idea.

The ceramic i'm sure adds that layer of protection as an alternative. (y)

Btw I saw how you mounted the S2's on your rack and did the same. You got a great build.

Maybe try clear bra under the weather strip to protect the paint? I applied 3 coats of wax and a yearly ceramic coat to the roof to protect the paint. Going on a year and a half with the rack and no issues what so ever.

Ya. good idea.

The ceramic i'm sure adds that layer of protection as an alternative. (y)

Btw I saw how you mounted the S2's on your rack and did the same. You got a great build.
Thank you.

Yes, I made a 4 into 1 wiring harness for the rack lights. simple, clean install. No sense in overcomplicating that one, I don't plan on having anything electrical up there so it was my best option.

Curious if we have to update our navigation system or if it updates automatically?

Back