• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What oil are you running and what intervals are you changing it at?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I'm coming up on my 10,000 maintenance mark, and it has me thinking... I know I changed my oil and 2,500 and then again at 5,000 (I know, I know), but I don't remember if I used Mobil 1 synthetic like I do for everything, or if I used Toyota's oil.

I've never brought my truck into Toyota for maintenance yet, but I probably will for this one. Just not sure what oil I should have them use. And then I guess 10,000 mile intervals are the norm nowadays? It's not that I don't trust Toyota, it just feels weird coming from a 6.2 diesel that I changed every 3,000, lol.

My first oil change was at 10k miles and I used an OEM Toyota filter and Mobil 1 0W-20.

Initially, I was nervous after I passed the 5k mark since that was my oil change interval on my previous Toyota but I checked the dipstick every 1k after that and there was nothing to worry about. Totally confident in the 10k oil change interval on the 3rd gen.

Upvote 0
I read on TW that someone had their oil analyzed at the 10k interval and it appeared okay. I'm just going to stick with the 10k interval as well unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Upvote 0
I did 5k, 10k, then every 10k after that. I'm am at 39k now and at 40 I will be doing in by myself with an OEM filter and Mobil 1 oil. Also replacing the filter cap to the metal one.

Upvote 0
I did my first one at 1K then I will do every 5k. I know probably over doing it and I know the oil will last longer but not the filter.
Part of me still feels this way too even though I know it’ll be fine at 10k.

Upvote 0
Had the first 3 oil changes done at the dealer (10,20,30) and just did the 40k myself. Apparently the last time the dealer did it, they decided to severely overtorque the canister that contains the filter element in addition to the drain plug. It only needs to be around 20 ft/lbs and it was more like 100 no joke. I'm not sure what the hell they were doing but I'm pretty amazed the plastic canister held up to that. Guess that's the last time my truck will be going to the dealer for service.

I switched the canister to the metal one this change, I've been meaning to do that for a while.

Upvote 0
Had the first 3 oil changes done at the dealer (10,20,30) and just did the 40k myself. Apparently the last time the dealer did it, they decided to severely overtorque the canister that contains the filter element in addition to the drain plug. It only needs to be around 20 ft/lbs and it was more like 100 no joke. I'm not sure what the hell they were doing but I'm pretty amazed the plastic canister held up to that. Guess that's the last time my truck will be going to the dealer for service.

I switched the canister to the metal one this change, I've been meaning to do that for a while.
Hearing shit like this all the time always makes me rethink bringing mine at 10k.

Upvote 0
Mobil 1 0w-20 at 7.5K mile intervals for me.

I'll consider a switch to 10K intervals when I'm driving mostly easy freeway miles.

Upvote 0
I changed mine at 5k and plan on doing it again at 10k and then every 10 thousand after that just so it's on an even number because I'm OCD AF.
I used Pennzoil Platinum because I heard it was good stuff and because it was on sale at Walmart.

Upvote 0
Amsoil Signature 0W-20, Toyota filters. First change at 500 miles, and will have another at 7K and every 7K thereafter. I know the oil is good for more than 7K, but I personally feel that is long enough for service.

I am not bringing my truck to Toyota for the free service because I received my new truck with the rear differential 20 ounces low, the front differential 4 ounces low, the antifreeze overflow below the cold fill mark when it was hot, the power steering an ounce or two low and the tires overinflated to somewhere between 41 pounds and 49 pounds of air. They will see the truck for recalls only.

Upvote 0
Been running Royal purple in the Engine, Diffs and T-case. I've got 39k and have changed it between 7-10k. If I know I have a long road trip coming up I'll do it early. The T-case is noticeably quieter in 4lo with the synchromax.

Is anybody familiar with an aftermarket oil filter housing that has a fumoto style drain on it? e.g. so you dont have to use the stupid drain tool? I thought I've seen one before but cant find it??

Upvote 0
I did my first one at 1K then I will do every 5k. I know probably over doing it and I know the oil will last longer but not the filter.

I do 5k oil changes as well and I’d highly recommend it for anyone that isn’t OCD about pulling the dipstick every 1000 miles to check oil level. These engines use oil and at 10k intervals, if you’re not checking your level fairly often, you can get yourself in trouble pretty quick. PLUS I’m of the same opinion on the filter. If you’re still under powertrain warranty, you’re only required to do it at the factory recommend intervals so, at a minimum, do 7500 and don’t give them a reason to deny ANY potential issues.

Upvote 0
Toyota oil at the dealership every 5k miles with tire rotation on my Tacoma and wife’s Highlander. Not necessary but costs nothing in long run so why not

Upvote 0
Amsoil Signature 0W-20, Toyota filters. First change at 500 miles, and will have another at 7K and every 7K thereafter. I know the oil is good for more than 7K, but I personally feel that is long enough for service.

Amsoil here as well. I keep the 10k service. Oil test came back good at 10k, oil is good for longer than that. However we beat on the truck pretty good so 10k it is.

Upvote 0
I’m not too picky on the oil. I’ve ran Royal Purple and Valvoline, but I always use WIX filters or Service Pro. This is from an oil and filter salesman. You’ll never see the difference in any of these oils as long as you keep it changed. They all are required to meet the same specs and it’s hard to find a bad oil these days.

Upvote 0
I’m not too picky on the oil. I’ve ran Royal Purple and Valvoline, but I always use WIX filters or Service Pro. This is from an oil and filter salesman. You’ll never see the difference in any of these oils as long as you keep it changed. They all are required to meet the same specs and it’s hard to find a bad oil these days.
I think a
*under normal conditions and use
Might be worthwhile. Under heavy abuse (high temps, aggressive heat cycles, poor oiling situations, etc) or extreme conditions (we see -30 or lower multiple times a year) you will absolutely see a difference in oils.

Upvote 0

Did you know that Wix is now made in China? As of two years ago, IIRC. I use Toyota filters in my Tacoma and Hastings in everything else.

Upvote 0
I use Amazon 0w 20 and k&n oil filter I change my oil every 5k it's cheap insurance slowly going through the truck with royal purple gear oil just did the rear differential before a 3k road trip truck is just about at 60k

Upvote 0
Back