• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tyler's #VanLife on 37s Four Wheel Camper Build & Tacoma3G.com Shenanigans

I totally get where you're coming from. E-locker would be good now but full OBA with air lockers would be better down the road. And if you're really looking at 37s, there's so much work involved with steering and firewall clearance and all that, it would almost be easier to SAS. I personally wouldn't look at anything over 35s (or skinny 36s, like a Q78) with IFS. Maybe SAS is the direction you should be looking rather than blowing a bunch of money on your IFS setup that's going to leave you wanting more later. Then again, I can't see ever doing anything with my truck that Alex Busta doesn't do with his, and he's only on 35s. It all comes down to what you can afford vs. what you can make work.

Last edited:
I totally get where you're coming from. E-locker would be good now but full OBA with air lockers would be better down the road. And if you're really looking at 37s, there's so much work involved with steering and firewall clearance and all that, it would almost be easier to SAS. I personally wouldn't look at anything over 35s (or skinny 36s, like a Q78) with IFS. Maybe SAS is the direction you should be looking rather than blowing a bunch of money on your IFS setup that's going to leave you wanting more later. Then again, I can't see ever doing anything with my truck that Alex Busta doesn't do with his, and he's only on 35s. It all comes down to what you can afford vs. what you can make work.
The point you make about Alex is pretty true. I think I’m just stuck on 37’s cause my other truck has 37’s, but the Taco probably never will. I’d be happy with 36’s like this rig which is bad as hell:
728B4CC9-36C2-47F6-8288-BEE7149B873C.png

The point you make about Alex is pretty true. I think I’m just stuck on 37’s cause my other truck has 37’s, but the Taco probably never will. I’d be happy with 36’s like this rig which is bad as hell:
That's bad ass. Q78s are interesting tires, they come in somewhere around 35-1/2" but are still only 285mm wide and they come in both 16" and 17" rim sizes. I will never rock them on my daily but if someday the truck becomes more or less a dedicated toy, 5.29s, a front locker, possibly a Taco Box and Q78s would absolutely be at the top of my want list.

That's bad ass. Q78s are interesting tires, they come in somewhere around 35-1/2" but are still only 285mm wide and they come in both 16" and 17" rim sizes. I will never rock them on my daily but if someday the truck becomes more or less a dedicated toy, 5.29s, a front locker, possibly a Taco Box and Q78s would absolutely be at the top of my want list.
They the only tire in this size?

Q78 is the size, so there's Q78-15LT, -16LT, -17LT, etc. They're only 9.5" wide so you could definitely run them on stock wheels. They're all going to be bias ply mud tires though, which suck ass on highway. You'd have vibrations, instability at speed, lots of sidewall roll, etc. Not to mention shitty treadwear. That's the reason no one runs them on street trucks, but for a toy... I think they'd be sick. Lots of Cruiser guys run them.

Here's an example: https://www2.4wheelparts.com/p/supe...iwB2HcW53Xq7JgTcKVU9KRl9RsWQUJdUaAjh5EALw_wcB

F**k! That pic gets me so wet.

https://cbioffroadfab.com/product/3rd-gen-tacoma-hidden-winch-mount/?v=f19c808e7930

Let's mount this sheeeeeeeet. I think I just sealed the deal on never having a front bumper.
I'm really curious how this is going to look on your nekkid front end.
Trying to upgrade my front suspension a second time but the small lower shock bolt spacer is too small for the OEM bolt.
B9C8F5CF-0589-479A-8329-C5167C1BFD46.jpeg
9B8BBC8A-F6DB-4FA2-AE5F-1DA0525289CB.jpeg
Dislike. My ADS kit didn't require any spacers for the lower shock bolt so I can't offer any assistance there.
Finally bought paint for the sliders. ;)
Hopefully psychedelic as fuck.

I intend to do a “re-upgrade” to the rear shocks also. Go a little higher in the rear and preload the front to match. Then maybe 35’s. But right now the priority is: paint the sliders to make Instagram happy > install my Smittybilt 10k synthetic winch on the CBI hidden winch mount coming in the mail (keep no front bumper) > high clearance rear bumper > regear to 5.29 and add a front locker, undecided about air or E.

I see the Icons are already dirty, what do you think of them so far?

FIFY

Yassssssssssss!
Had to go down to the beach on base and test them out in some deep sand of course! I permenatly run no sway bar and now with the stronger springs, the body roll is much less. So that’s nice I guess.

Remember when I intended to leave the 5100’s in the rear for a while? That idea lasted almost a full day. These are mine now:
E6605A2A-E9DE-4763-AD96-B93DD25AF165.jpeg

Apparently they came off a truck with 5” lift and have 27” travel.

Remember when I intended to leave the 5100’s in the rear for a while? That idea lasted almost a full day. These are mine now:
E6605A2A-E9DE-4763-AD96-B93DD25AF165.jpeg

Apparently they came off a truck with 5” lift and have 27” travel.
Nice score! I think the seller was confused as those are probably the 57805-EXT's which are just under 27" extended (10.9" travel) but they'll be well matched to the Dakars. Don't forget to check your brake lines and ABS/locker wiring to make sure it's not hyperextended at full droop.

4914A748-DF9B-4BF2-BD28-632FC0E49DF6.jpeg

Current status: sliders FINALLY off for paint, hidden winch mount temporarily off for modification to make it more flush/hidden, full underbody rinse and rust protection, tent and @KB Voodoo Fabrications bars off bed for a while, cutting rear to prep for @Relentless Fabrication bumper coming in a few weeks, gonna try to repair/rust proof dents and paint, OVTune ordered for that sweet 1.05 update, gonna finally do a good detailing on the interior, and Black Rhino beadlocks and 35s to come!

Back