• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Suspension choices

black_tacoma

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
I wanna know what routes I could go suspension-wise. I have 285/75/16s currently and I want something better than the stock suspension with a spacer lift. I get a bunch of trash talk when people ask why I run spacers and off-road. Should I go for something cheap or should I go all out? Any suggestions are welcome

A lot will depend on your idea of what off-roading is. High speed desert runs? Slow rock crawling? Fire roads?
When it comes down to it though, ANYTHING is better than a spacer lift IMO.
Spacer lifts are the padded bra of suspension.

A lot will depend on your idea of what off-roading is. High speed desert runs? Slow rock crawling? Fire roads?
When it comes down to it though, ANYTHING is better than a spacer lift IMO.
Spacer lifts are the padded bra of suspension.
Yeah that’s true. I see myself doing a combination of the three tbh. I like going to the dunes in my truck as well as taking my truck out to crawl spots to hit some trials. That’s the problem I have is I do a little bit of everything when it comes to off-roading in my truck

I wanna know what routes I could go suspension-wise. I have 285/75/16s currently and I want something better than the stock suspension with a spacer lift. I get a bunch of trash talk when people ask why I run spacers and off-road. Should I go for something cheap or should I go all out? Any suggestions are welcome
Go full retard man! I'd personally go with ICON 2.5" with resis and ICON RXT rear suspension. Oh wait, that's what I did! (y)

Here's what I went with and I couldn't be happier on, and off-road!
http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop...ma-0-275-suspension-system-stage9-billet.html

I’m also a fan of Icon’s. They get a lot of unwarranted hate in other forums because mouth breathers install incorrectly and then blame the manufacturer for their mistake. Icon has been nothing but stellar and helpful to me. I have their 2.5 w/resis in the front and 2.0 w/resis in the back. For what I do on my truck (mostly desert dirt roads), they are perfect.

I’m also a fan of Icon’s. They get a lot of unwarranted hate in other forums because mouth breathers install incorrectly and then blame the manufacturer for their mistake. Icon has been nothing but stellar and helpful to me. I have their 2.5 w/resis in the front and 2.0 w/resis in the back. For what I do on my truck (mostly desert dirt roads), they are perfect.
Truth! Mine were installed correctly but I still don't understand the hate for ICON on those other forums. They're loaded with mostly King, and some Fox fanboys that can't stand anything ICON. I don't have any hate for King or Fox, to each his own, I just prefer my ICONs over anything else. I've hammered my ICONs on, and off road for the last 10k miles and they don't feel any different than they did when I got them. Plus, being my DD, I don't ever worry about fucking my suspension up off-road cuz I know the quality that goes into them. And if anything ever did happen to them, I know for a fact that they take care of their customers! (y)

Yeah that’s true. I see myself doing a combination of the three tbh. I like going to the dunes in my truck as well as taking my truck out to crawl spots to hit some trials. That’s the problem I have is I do a little bit of everything when it comes to off-roading in my truck
So you've narrowed down use, what's your budget?

Yeah, Fox and King both have 3.0s for our trucks now.

Unless someone had custom made (which would be tough because Fox doesn't do much custom stuff without being volume), they do not and have no plans on doing anything 3.0 for the Toyota platforms. They are working on a new 3.0 internal bypass but it is not a Toyota product.

Unless someone had custom made (which would be tough because Fox doesn't do much custom stuff without being volume), they do not and have no plans on doing anything 3.0 for the Toyota platforms. They are working on a new 3.0 internal bypass but it is not a Toyota product.
You mean someone on TacomaWorld gave bad info?

latest

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A lot of people have told me ICONs are comparable to Kings and Fox but is less expensive. For me that sounds appealing since I don’t have a whole lot of money. I actually talked to a guy not to long ago and he told me to just buy some used ICONs and get them rebuilt?

Truth! Mine were installed correctly but I still don't understand the hate for ICON on those other forums. They're loaded with mostly King, and some Fox fanboys that can't stand anything ICON. I don't have any hate for King or Fox, to each his own, I just prefer my ICONs over anything else. I've hammered my ICONs on, and off road for the last 10k miles and they don't feel any different than they did when I got them. Plus, being my DD, I don't ever worry about fucking my suspension up off-road cuz I know the quality that goes into them. And if anything ever did happen to them, I know for a fact that they take care of their customers! (y)
This truck is my DD too so I don’t want to start cutting up my truck and have it out of commission for weeks

A lot of people have told me ICONs are comparable to Kings and Fox but is less expensive. For me that sounds appealing since I don’t have a whole lot of money. I actually talked to a guy not to long ago and he told me to just buy some used ICONs and get them rebuilt?
All three companies are pretty much in the same price range but I like the digressive construction of ICON shocks. A lot of people don't but I think it's just personal preference at that point. It actually wouldn't be a bad idea to get some used ones and have them rebuilt if you're on a budget. I don't know exactly what the cost to rebuild is yet, but I think I've heard around $300-$400. (don't quote me on that) I know the rebuild kits are pretty inexpensive, so I'm guessing it's mostly labor. That being said, you can find some decent deals out there and essentially come out with brand new shocks for quite a bit less than brand new. The question then would be, do you really care what the shock body looks like? Because they do get scratched and dirty!

All three companies are pretty much in the same price range but I like the digressive construction of ICON shocks. A lot of people don't but I think it's just personal preference at that point. It actually wouldn't be a bad idea to get some used ones and have them rebuilt if you're on a budget. I don't know exactly what the cost to rebuild is yet, but I think I've heard around $300-$400. (don't quote me on that) I know the rebuild kits are pretty inexpensive, so I'm guessing it's mostly labor. That being said, you can find some decent deals out there and essentially come out with brand new shocks for quite a bit less than brand new. The question then would be, do you really care what the shock body looks like? Because they do get scratched and dirty!
Honestly I don’t mind at all. What I’m really looking for is something that will be better performance-wise than how they look. You can always repaint them if they are scratched up but I’d rather buy some used ones, rebuild them, and have practically have a brand new pair of shocks for less money than buying brand new ones just because they aren’t a little beat up like used ones

I’m a full time college student who is working part time so I don’t make a whole lot about 1k a month but if I save I can rack up some good money
The most important factor is figuring out how much are you able to save and what you're willing to spend... That will ultimately determine the kind of recommendations we can give you. Otherwise everyone is just going to start pooping their favorite setup in this thread and you're going to get nowhere because just about anything but spacer lift setups are going to range from about $1,400 to $5,000+.

The most important factor is figuring out how much are you able to save and what you're willing to spend... That will ultimately determine the kind of recommendations we can give you. Otherwise everyone is just going to start pooping their favorite setup in this thread and you're going to get nowhere because just about anything but spacer lift setups are going to range from about $1,400 to $5,000+.
Yeah that’s a good point. I realize now every mod is going to be $1000 or more so I’ve been trying to save more so I am able to afford those things

Back