• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Regear, or not to regear

If you did regear? What would you do and tell us why below!!!

Votes: 17 38.6%

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • I'd swapped the manual transmission 4.30's in because I'm crazy like that.

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Stormtrooper Yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 SR AC Auto
White
So guys! I have a 4banger 2wd Tacoma. Is it normal to be in 3rd gear, at 6k rpm almost flooring it? Going 65-70mph on the US-395, going up the grade to Mammoth Mountian, at 7 thousand something feet of elevation. Considering the oxygen is thiner here. Im really considering about a regear! If so what ratio should I run? I'm running 32” Falken Wildpeak M/T’s.

So guys! I have a 4banger 2wd Tacoma. Is it normal to be in 3rd gear, at 6k rpm almost flooring it? Going 65-70mph on the US-395, going up the grade to Mammoth Mountian, at 7 thousand something feet of elevation. Considering the oxygen is thiner here. Im really considering about a regear! If so what ratio should I run? I'm running 32” Falken Wildpeak M/T’s.
Not that im aware of. Its definitely worth it to regear regardless. Im currently scheduled for install wednesday the 10th and im running 35's in the 3.5l v6. gears arrive this thursday.

My previous tacoma was a 2012 4banger. That truck was miserable to drive. I always felt sketchy pulling into traffic and it took forever to accelerate, I felt that it didn't have that next level punch to speed up just putted along. My 3.5 engine even with 35's feels night and day better.

You're not alone. My 6 cylinder feels like a complete dog on that same hill. It's a combo of a number of things, but specifically crap gearing in the Tacoma.

In short, yes you should regear. Just like I should, and just about everyone else should.

As to which gears, That really depends on what else you'll be doing to the truck. If you plan to go to 35's some day or add a ton of armour and weight like me, go 5.29's. If you plan to keep the tires below 34" and not add a ton of weight then go 4.88's.

Not that im aware of. Its definitely worth it to regear regardless. Im currently scheduled for install wednesday the 10th and im running 35's in the 3.5l v6. gears arrive this thursday.
My previous tacoma was a 2012 4banger. That truck was miserable to drive. I always felt sketchy pulling into traffic and it took forever to accelerate, I felt that it didn't have that next level punch to speed up just putted along. My 3.5 engine even with 35's feels night and day better.
You're not alone. My 6 cylinder feels like a complete dog on that same hill. It's a combo of a number of things, but specifically crap gearing in the Tacoma.

In short, yes you should regear. Just like I should, and just about everyone else should.

As to which gears, That really depends on what else you'll be doing to the truck. If you plan to go to 35's some day or add a ton of armour and weight like me, go 5.29's. If you plan to keep the tires below 34" and not add a ton of weight then go 4.88's.
Thank you all! I think ill go with 4.88’s! Lets see what other people think? Malcolm lets set up a poll, 4.88 vs 5.29?

Nothing against regearing - gonna do it myself soon. However, have you first considered the cheaper option of installing @OVTune? It is really night and day, especially for the situations you described. You'll probably feel like you don't even need to regear anymore until you go to 35s, if you ever did. And if you're on tires smaller than that, you'll probably be really satisfied.

Nothing against regearing - gonna do it myself soon. However, have you first considered the cheaper option of installing @OVTune? It is really night and day, especially for the situations you described. You'll probably feel like you don't even need to regear anymore until you go to 35s, if you ever did. And if you're on tires smaller than that, you'll probably be really satisfied.
The only reason I’m glad I didn’t get OV Tune is for 900$ I can install gears instead of 700 for OVTune. And the. Just pay for gears. The 3.5l engine is fine, they just fucked up the hearing which is why you aren’t able to utilize your OD gears even with stock tires for the most part

The only reason I’m glad I didn’t get OV Tune is for 900$ I can install gears instead of 700 for OVTune. And the. Just pay for gears. The 3.5l engine is fine, they just fucked up the hearing which is why you aren’t able to utilize your OD gears even with stock tires for the most part
I don't think they make ovtune for the 2.7L I4 engine.

I have heard of people running into a speed governing issue with 5.29 gears and people are still diagnosing the exact issue. Has anyone else heard of this. I was planning on 529’s until i saw this.

Hi all.
I have a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road. It is my daily driver. My 3” suspension lift and 33” Nittos are set to go on the truck this week. I have a Diamondback HD cover on the bed and a tool box with about 100-150lbs of gear in it. During the winter I will always keep buckets of rock salt and shovels in the bed and I often haul trash and appliances for work.

I live in Connecticut so we do get a couple of nasty winter storms each year.

Do you think 4.88’s or 5.29’s would be better for my truck?

Hi all.
I have a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road. It is my daily driver. My 3” suspension lift and 33” Nittos are set to go on the truck this week. I have a Diamondback HD cover on the bed and a tool box with about 100-150lbs of gear in it. During the winter I will always keep buckets of rock salt and shovels in the bed and I often haul trash and appliances for work.

You're definitely bordering on the 5.29 edge with the added weight of the box, tools, cover, and winter setup. If it were me, I'd be leaning 5.29 with your setup.

Hi all.

If you do end up re-gearing. Where will you get it done and what are they quoting you. I live in NY right over the CT border and only place i know of is EVB.

If you do end up re-gearing. Where will you get it done and what are they quoting you. I live in NY right over the CT border and only place i know of is EVB.

There is a shop in Monroe, CT that can handle it. Rob's Auto. I haven't gotten into detailed discussion with the owner about labor cost to re-gear. They just completed my lift for me. (pics attached)

I sent an email to nitro gears and they suggested going 4.88 actually with my current setup. Now I have to really ponder because I was leaning 5.29.....smh

Attachments

• IMG_4795.jpeg
    IMG_4795.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_4791.jpeg
    IMG_4791.jpeg
    790.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_4817.jpeg
    IMG_4817.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 366
Anyone have any thoughts on regearing on a manual transmission? I know that the manual trucks don't have nearly the same need for regearing as the automatics do. I'm interested in the idea picking up 4.88s however i'm curious to learn more about the impact they have on manual transmissions.

Anyone have any thoughts on regearing on a manual transmission? I know that the manual trucks don't have nearly the same need for regearing as the automatics do. I'm interested in the idea picking up 4.88s however i'm curious to learn more about the impact they have on manual transmissions.

I've read multiple times that the manuals do much better with 4.88's than 5.29's. Even with weight and larger tires. Seems like plenty of manual transmission guys say that the 4.88's are plenty.

Did you ever do the regear? What was your experience, and what other mods have you done?

I'll throw my $.02 into the fray. I have Nitto 285/70 Ridge Grapplers on my Tacoma the Overall O.D. is 32.76". Once mounted my MPG plummeted from 24mpg to 17mpg, my speedometer reads 2mph below actual mph and the perceived torque is noticeably less. To correct the true final drive ratio restoring MPG, speedo accuracy and torque to factory specs requires that I swap to 4:30 gears. This is on the list of mods, the manual tranny TRD OR comes with 4:30 gears so Toyota does make them but, Toyota is very proud of their 4:30 gears which is why I haven't swapped them yet although I do miss better MPG.

Ok, my turn. I know I need to regear. Question is: 4.88 or 5.29?

Here is what I have: TRD OR with approximately 3.5" lift on 295/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have an aluminum Demello front bumper and steel TJM rear bumper. Steel sliders and Prinsu Roof Rack. I do not have RTT or rack (never plan to). I don't tow anything (maybe will rent a tear drop some day). I don't bolder crawl (its not a Jeep). My MPG is 13 and it hunts for gears, and is slow as a dog. I want to regear to improve MPG and provide a smoother drive in city/hwy. Future plans are to MAYBE add a winch and replace the rear bumper with a CBI swing out to hang my tire back there.

What gear ratio should I go with?

thx.

Ok, my turn. I know I need to regear. Question is: 4.88 or 5.29?

Here is what I have: TRD OR with approximately 3.5" lift on 295/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have an aluminum Demello front bumper and steel TJM rear bumper. Steel sliders and Prinsu Roof Rack. I do not have RTT or rack (never plan to). I don't tow anything (maybe will rent a tear drop some day). I don't bolder crawl (its not a Jeep). My MPG is 13 and it hunts for gears, and is slow as a dog. I want to regear to improve MPG and provide a smoother drive in city/hwy. Future plans are to MAYBE add a winch and replace the rear bumper with a CBI swing out to hang my tire back there.

What gear ratio should I go with?

thx.

5.29s. Even the weight you have and the 34" tires qualify for 5.29 gears. Don't forget the OVTune as well. Otherwise you're not taking full advantage of the gears.

Yeah that’s a lot, but still not enough unsprung weight to call for anything more than 5.29. And tuning. Definitely tuning.

Had you been running 37’s and I’d say go 4.88.

I ordered 5.29s from NitroGears and they should in by the end of the month. I called Nitro and they at first suggested 4.88s but after I explained that I have a steel front bumper, winch, roof rack, decked system, bedrack, tent, they said 5.29s were the correct choice. I will let you know how well the regearing works out after they are installed.

Back