• ⚙️ 3rd & 4th Gen Toyota Tacomas | Tacoma3G

🌮 Tacoma3G.com is an online resource and community for 2016+ Toyota Tacoma owners.

👤 Registration is completely free and only takes a few seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig on the forum!

♥️ Beginner friendly. Tight-knit. No ads. The raddest. Read more about us...

Gearing / Lockers Regear, or not to regear

If you did regear? What would you do and tell us why below!!!

Votes: 16 37.2%

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • I'd swapped the manual transmission 4.30's in because I'm crazy like that.

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

Stormtrooper Yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#1,629
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Instagram
@stormtrooper_yota_676
2018 White SR Access Cab Automatic
So guys! I have a 4banger 2wd Tacoma. Is it normal to be in 3rd gear, at 6k rpm almost flooring it? Going 65-70mph on the US-395, going up the grade to Mammoth Mountian, at 7 thousand something feet of elevation. Considering the oxygen is thiner here. Im really considering about a regear! If so what ratio should I run? I'm running 32” Falken Wildpeak M/T’s.

Malcolm

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
Reaction score
Instagram
@PROTACO17
2017 Cement Pro Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic
So guys! I have a 4banger 2wd Tacoma. Is it normal to be in 3rd gear, at 6k rpm almost flooring it? Going 65-70mph on the US-395, going up the grade to Mammoth Mountian, at 7 thousand something feet of elevation. Considering the oxygen is thiner here. Im really considering about a regear! If so what ratio should I run? I'm running 32” Falken Wildpeak M/T’s.
Not that im aware of. Its definitely worth it to regear regardless. Im currently scheduled for install wednesday the 10th and im running 35's in the 3.5l v6. gears arrive this thursday.

edpeaslee

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#2,490
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Instagram
@ericdpeaslee
2019 Quicksand Off-Road Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic
My previous tacoma was a 2012 4banger. That truck was miserable to drive. I always felt sketchy pulling into traffic and it took forever to accelerate, I felt that it didn't have that next level punch to speed up just putted along. My 3.5 engine even with 35's feels night and day better.

Mr. Nobody

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
T3G Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Instagram
@traveling_nobodys
YouTube
/traveling_nobodys
2017 Quicksand Off-Road Double Cab, Long Bed Automatic
You're not alone. My 6 cylinder feels like a complete dog on that same hill. It's a combo of a number of things, but specifically crap gearing in the Tacoma.

In short, yes you should regear. Just like I should, and just about everyone else should.

As to which gears, That really depends on what else you'll be doing to the truck. If you plan to go to 35's some day or add a ton of armour and weight like me, go 5.29's. If you plan to keep the tires below 34" and not add a ton of weight then go 4.88's.

Stormtrooper Yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#1,629
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Instagram
@stormtrooper_yota_676
Not that im aware of. Its definitely worth it to regear regardless. Im currently scheduled for install wednesday the 10th and im running 35's in the 3.5l v6. gears arrive this thursday.
My previous tacoma was a 2012 4banger. That truck was miserable to drive. I always felt sketchy pulling into traffic and it took forever to accelerate, I felt that it didn't have that next level punch to speed up just putted along. My 3.5 engine even with 35's feels night and day better.
You're not alone. My 6 cylinder feels like a complete dog on that same hill. It's a combo of a number of things, but specifically crap gearing in the Tacoma.

In short, yes you should regear. Just like I should, and just about everyone else should.

As to which gears, That really depends on what else you'll be doing to the truck. If you plan to go to 35's some day or add a ton of armour and weight like me, go 5.29's. If you plan to keep the tires below 34" and not add a ton of weight then go 4.88's.
Thank you all! I think ill go with 4.88’s! Lets see what other people think? Malcolm lets set up a poll, 4.88 vs 5.29?

skitzobeve42

2️⃣ Bronze
T3G Member
#2,110
Reaction score
First Name
Sc0tt
2022 Blue Crush Sport Double Cab, Short Bed Manual
whats the total cost roughly for 4.88s? parts and install

Malcolm

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
Reaction score
Instagram
@PROTACO17
whats the total cost roughly for 4.88s? parts and install
gears are gonna cost you around 1300/1400 install will cost anywhere from 900-1500 depending on the shop. Brothers 4x4 near pomona, CA will install front and rear for 900.

Stormtrooper Yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#1,629
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Instagram
@stormtrooper_yota_676
gears are gonna cost you around 1300/1400 install will cost anywhere from 900-1500 depending on the shop. Brothers 4x4 near pomona, CA will install front and rear for 900.
Quite pricey but it pays for itself

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
T3G Member
Reaction score
Instagram
@wanderingwinterfields
YouTube
/wanderingwinterfields
2017 Quicksand Off-Road Double Cab, Long Bed Automatic (Build Thread)
Nothing against regearing - gonna do it myself soon. However, have you first considered the cheaper option of installing OVTune? It is really night and day, especially for the situations you described. You'll probably feel like you don't even need to regear anymore until you go to 35s, if you ever did. And if you're on tires smaller than that, you'll probably be really satisfied.

Malcolm

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
Reaction score
Instagram
@PROTACO17
Nothing against regearing - gonna do it myself soon. However, have you first considered the cheaper option of installing OVTune? It is really night and day, especially for the situations you described. You'll probably feel like you don't even need to regear anymore until you go to 35s, if you ever did. And if you're on tires smaller than that, you'll probably be really satisfied.
The only reason I’m glad I didn’t get OV Tune is for 900$ I can install gears instead of 700 for OVTune. And the. Just pay for gears. The 3.5l engine is fine, they just fucked up the hearing which is why you aren’t able to utilize your OD gears even with stock tires for the most part

Stormtrooper Yota

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
T3G Member
#1,629
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Instagram
@stormtrooper_yota_676
The only reason I’m glad I didn’t get OV Tune is for 900$ I can install gears instead of 700 for OVTune. And the. Just pay for gears. The 3.5l engine is fine, they just fucked up the hearing which is why you aren’t able to utilize your OD gears even with stock tires for the most part
I don't think they make ovtune for the 2.7L I4 engine.

Hunter399

5️⃣ Platinum
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
T3G Member
#2,654
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Instagram
@Toyota.Crawlander
2018 White Off-Road Double Cab, Short Bed Automatic
I have heard of people running into a speed governing issue with 5.29 gears and people are still diagnosing the exact issue. Has anyone else heard of this. I was planning on 529’s until i saw this.

upperechelonfirearms

2️⃣ Bronze
T3G Member
#4,729
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Instagram
@upperechelonfirearms
Hi all.
I have a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road. It is my daily driver. My 3” suspension lift and 33” Nittos are set to go on the truck this week. I have a Diamondback HD cover on the bed and a tool box with about 100-150lbs of gear in it. During the winter I will always keep buckets of rock salt and shovels in the bed and I often haul trash and appliances for work.

I live in Connecticut so we do get a couple of nasty winter storms each year.

Do you think 4.88’s or 5.29’s would be better for my truck?

Mr. Nobody

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
T3G Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Instagram
@traveling_nobodys
YouTube
/traveling_nobodys
2017 Quicksand Off-Road Double Cab, Long Bed Automatic
Hi all.
I have a 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road. It is my daily driver. My 3” suspension lift and 33” Nittos are set to go on the truck this week. I have a Diamondback HD cover on the bed and a tool box with about 100-150lbs of gear in it. During the winter I will always keep buckets of rock salt and shovels in the bed and I often haul trash and appliances for work.

You're definitely bordering on the 5.29 edge with the added weight of the box, tools, cover, and winter setup. If it were me, I'd be leaning 5.29 with your setup.

skitzobeve42

2️⃣ Bronze
T3G Member
#2,110
Reaction score
First Name
Sc0tt
2022 Blue Crush Sport Double Cab, Short Bed Manual
Hi all.

If you do end up re-gearing. Where will you get it done and what are they quoting you. I live in NY right over the CT border and only place i know of is EVB.