• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

nickyreno’s pro

Interested to see if those coil packs do what they claim. Congrats on all the new packages soon to arrive :)

I’ll let y’all know how it feels once I install them and I’ll post up before and after numbers for everyone after a thousand miles or so.

I had my 5,000 mile service done yesterday and picked up a header rail track while I waited. Surprisingly enough, the dealership had the best price I could find on it. I plan to mount Rotopax cans to it.

Aaaand there she is. $50 and uses the existing T30 bolts that hold on the header.

266AEB84-8A74-4903-9A0E-834B7B60D6EA.jpeg

I'm Nick. Awake by day, sleeping by night. Detailing is the side-hustle. OEF - Sapper shit. Bought a ‘20 Pro: Has rubber tires and everything. I mod it. I live beyond my means so don’t expect anything crazy.

Did this
Paired my phone - major accomplishment.​
Ceramic coated the shit out of every square inch of it. Hydrophobic as fuck.​
Injen Evo CAI because I’m boujee and I like the sound.​
RIPP Coil Packs. Helps me troll the tuners.​
Oil separator because blow by can blow me.​
Hella Sharptones: I tell the kids they are turbos.​
VLEDS vanity lights and license plate bulbs to blind my wife and help the cops.​
Molle panels for my molle panels.​
Raptor lights that serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.​
Stedi light bar & ditch lights that I don't need and use inappropriately.​
Overland Equipped aux power tray to at least look like I know what I'm doing.​
Meso/KC 3rd brake light to flex on other Taco owners.​
KTJO door cup lights. Makes me feel like I drive a Maserati.​
CBI overland bars to carry the RTT I don’t have.​
CVT awning for my pasty Irish ass.​
Prinsu cabrack for roof-rack accessories that I’m too short to reach.​
Tailgate anti-theft bracket because of high-seas piracy.​
Multicam black vinyl in allllll the right places.​
Lil B’s bed stiffeners. Bed’s not the only thing they make stiff.​
Mountain Hatch as proof that I'm the best overlander on the planet.​
Spidertrax spacers to get everyone TW's panties in a twist.​
Interior trim hydrodipped multicam black. Makes people think I killed Bin Laden.​
MESO & AJT swag. Chrome go home.​
Victory4x4 console molle panels because I think I’m John Wick.​
Desert Does It seat jackers for the wife and MMP’s for my pistolas.​
Mountain Bike shifter grip because I can’t leave anything alone.​

Will do this
More Meso mods that I don't need but must have.​
Big rubber tires to destroy my fuel mileage.​
RTT to look cool parked outside of a Marriott.​
Tuning even though my mom says I can’t handle the V6.​
More fun overland gear to never use.​
More cute exterior glitter. For Instagram followers.​

Proof that I exist and the truck is grey:

IMG_5179.jpg

Looking clean, especially for now new it is! Cracking up at the RTT Marriott comment. 😂 Don’t forget. If you send it, and it’s not on camera, it doesn’t count!

😜

Ohh fine I'll tell ya.

Prinsu Cabrack
RIPP Coil Packs
Injen Evolution CAI
Jumping in here for the first time. I have a 2020 Pro in MGM as well. Really interested to see how you like the Injen CAI. I’ve been looking at the S&B but the current version only goes to 2019 (there’s a fitment issue for the 2020, is what I was told by S&B).

Jumping in here for the first time. I have a 2020 Pro in MGM as well. Really interested to see how you like the Injen CAI. I’ve been looking at the S&B but the current version only goes to 2019 (there’s a fitment issue for the 2020, is what I was told by S&B).

I'm sure the S&B would fit just fine. I can't think of anything that is different on the '20's that could cause a fitment issue, at least one that couldn't be easily fixed.

Last edited:
Prinsu doesn't show up until tomorrow evening but I’ll be out of town attending a wedding. Work is slow so I took the time to notch out the gutter trim. All I’ve gotta do now is punch them, assemble the rack and toss it on!

7B4790C3-61D2-4072-827E-61AC9A1FFBAA.jpeg D55B1F3C-5EC9-4ED3-BC5A-A76126F5D211.jpeg 798FC367-59F4-4236-B259-9064DE449954.jpeg

Prinsu doesn't show up until tomorrow evening but I’ll be out of town attending a wedding. Work is slow so I took the time to notch out the gutter trim. All I’ve gotta do now is punch them, assemble the rack and toss it on!

7B4790C3-61D2-4072-827E-61AC9A1FFBAA.jpeg D55B1F3C-5EC9-4ED3-BC5A-A76126F5D211.jpeg 798FC367-59F4-4236-B259-9064DE449954.jpeg
Nice.

I ended up just using a tapered punch to get the holes in. Went right through the metal spine with a little force haha

Looks clean though!

Nice.

I ended up just using a tapered punch to get the holes in. Went right through the metal spine with a little force haha

Looks clean though!

Yeah, I don’t have a punch so I’ve got to drill it out with a step bit

flashback to my kirkwood annual pass. Looks like you got some decent air quality. I have friends bouncing from one rental to another dodging the fires right now. 2020 wild af, looks like you enjoyed yourself though

RIPP coils are here and the Injen CAI arrives today. These will install pretty conveniently together because you’ve gotta remove most of the OEM intake to install the new coil packs. I’ll empty out my oil separator at that time as well, and let y’all know how much blow-by its prevented.

I’ll try to remember to post up my current average MPG, and set a new trip for comparison later on. Thinking a couple hundred miles would be enough to give an accurate representation?

Very excited that by the end of the day my truck will basically be a hybrid rocket ship.

I’d be interested to see the new mpg for sure. I’m averaging 17mpg bone stock off road. Scared to see what it’ll be when I start to add bigger tires and armor. 😭

Curious about the mpg but also curious how much oil vapor you've collected in your bong :)

I’d be interested to see the new mpg for sure. I’m averaging 17mpg bone stock off road. Scared to see what it’ll be when I start to add bigger tires and armor. 😭
Curious about the mpg but also curious how much oil vapor you've collected in your bong :)

After 5,366 miles I’ve averaged 20.4 MPG. My driver score for the last 30 days is 93, and generally stays within the 90-95 range.

13CA78BA-0A2C-4426-82B6-90276FC644A0.jpeg 870B6CAA-3E43-45A3-A71A-CB152C156E66.png

That's pretty good. That's definitely better than what I'm getting in my JK

Coil packs and CAI are in. Both were easy as pie to install and I'm impressed with the quality of both.

fullsizeoutput_1f0b.jpeg ivcyW1oRSNugIricGtl+Lw.jpg BuAA%UmcRf+O42xsT1pAWA.jpg wk1MBY2YQ%WHPbpSqH3ByA.jpg

Took it for a spin around the block and I do notice a difference in felt power through 1st gear and some of 2nd gear. Exhaust sounds throatier at low speeds with the intake but no other noise besides that.

@midnight20pro here's what I poured out of my catch can. I've only had it installed for about 4,000 miles.

x%wAkJvNQgmBchD8vXPVQw.jpg

Engine bay is looking nice buddy! and even though it's just a little bit for 4k miles that's still plenty of oil I'd rather see being dumped than going back in through my intake system. Well done!

Engine bay is looking nice buddy! and even though it's just a little bit for 4k miles that's still plenty of oil I'd rather see being dumped than going back in through my intake system. Well done!

Thanks man! Yeah I’m definitely happy I installed that thing I can’t believe how much oil that is.

So after driving around a little more this morning; with the exception of the firmer shifts and optimized shift points, the upgraded coil packs and intake make it feel like I’m driving with ECT on. Especially off the line and during slow rolling accelerations.

RIPP claims an additional 20-30 hp and Injen claims up to 17 additional hp.

So does it feel like I’ve got an additional 37-47 horses? No, not that I can tell at least.

But I got the packs for $330 shipped and the intake for $327 shipped. I doubt the intake does much, if anything at all, however for $660 I’m happy. Hopefully the combo will really optimize power potential whenever I’m able to get OV tuned.

I reset my average mpg monitor so I’ll report back later with how that has or hasn’t improved. I’ll admit, I purchased the coil packs for their performance value, but I’m hoping to see gains of at least 3 mpg. Had my goal been improved has mileage, I would be disappointed with anything less than 3 mpg for the price.

Is there a "force ecu" reset procedure you can do so the computer starts remapping based on the new components and performance? Might improve it a bit more if you kickstart it

Is there a "force ecu" reset procedure you can do so the computer starts remapping based on the new components and performance? Might improve it a bit more if you kickstart it

I’m not sure. Maybe with VF Tuner. I’d end up bricking my ECU 😂

it should "learn" on its own... but it means the changes in map would be gradual and therefore you won't notice the difference as it happens I suppose. In hondas it was a special sequence with the ignition and brake pedal if I recall correctly.

it should "learn" on its own... but it means the changes in map would be gradual and therefore you won't notice the difference as it happens I suppose. In hondas it was a special sequence with the ignition and brake pedal if I recall correctly.

Well I can say that each day I drive it, it feels better and better. Today driving around almost felt like it had been tuned.

So I’ve been researching high speed ways to mount a shovel and axe but also have them be secured by locks. A lot of the ways required a padlock or a mounting surface that was not compatible with my overland bars.

Then I stumbled upon the Topgrip by Yakima. Originally designed to hold paddle oars but they also market them as being capable of holding shovels and axes. So I picked up 4 of them and a pair of SKS lock cores.

I’ve never seen these used before but I think they are super clean looking.

23FEA454-BE11-4CE0-BDFA-17ED32F54F00.jpeg A5C95D0F-CF89-43A1-9B43-9C00F7A233E8.jpeg E2A3C648-9772-4E0A-A73C-2F1A451D3CA8.jpeg

So I’ve been researching high speed ways to mount a shovel and axe but also have them be secured by locks. A lot of the ways required a padlock or a mounting surface that was not compatible with my overland bars.

Then I stumbled upon the Topgrip by Yakima. Originally designed to hold paddle oars but they also market them as being capable of holding shovels and axes. So I picked up 4 of them and a pair of SKS lock cores.

I’ve never seen these used before but I think they are super clean looking.

23FEA454-BE11-4CE0-BDFA-17ED32F54F00.jpeg A5C95D0F-CF89-43A1-9B43-9C00F7A233E8.jpeg E2A3C648-9772-4E0A-A73C-2F1A451D3CA8.jpeg
those look solid! I got a couple of quick fists and then I'm just going to bike lock the shovel to my bed rack for now lol

those look solid! I got a couple of quick fists and then I'm just going to bike lock the shovel to my bed rack for now lol

Quick fists were my original plan before I decided I wanted them to be lockable. I also didn’t want a padlock or chain banging on all my shit all day.

Expedition Essentials 3TPAM. Installation instructions are wack. But here it is nonetheless.

16B5CD81-95DD-40C0-B6FC-DDA23B1E5E8A.jpeg

Looks pretty cool from the outside too.

AB57E213-DE45-4815-85B3-27DDA84EF462.jpeg

I’ll admit, I don’t really have a use for this thing but I found it so attractive I couldn’t resist. Guess my wife has a slick new way of watching movies on her iPad during road trips.

Gerber splitting axe FTW.

u8IjmjqoT5+7QzwxhV3NqQ.jpg

Back