• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Lord Humongous's Tow-coma

I enjoyed your build on the other site so I’m definitely following along over here too. (y) Sweet setup so far

Those are both really good 2 meter 70 centimeter handhelds for the price. The more expensive one has a higher transmit wattage but I've read it really doesn't do anything except kill the battery faster. Basically you just need to turn it on, dial it to the right frs/gmrs frequency and push the PTT when you have something to say. 90 percent of the buttons are for programming channels and repeater access tones, ect. which is way easier on a PC with a programming cable.
GXT-900-manual[Page 20].jpg

If your planning on a camping trip and you know there will be no cell service you can research nearby repeaters and program them for emergency use only without a HAM. You can go full prepper style and make a role up Jpole antenna that you hoist into a tree and really get some reach lol.
Yeah so I totally appreciate the detailed reply but...
I'm stupid, can you translate this please? lol
... this, lmfao!

Dumb it down for us: if we turn it on and put the same numbers on the screen as the other guys we're with, and push the orange button and say shit to it, do they work like really fucking long range walkie talkies?
laugh.gif

we turn it on and put the same numbers on the screen as the other guys we're with, and push the orange button and say shit to it
I thought this is exactly what I said :ROFLMAO:

That chart is the FMRS, family mandated radio service frequencies that are open to everybody. Basically all I was saying is that they are capable of way more if you want to take the time to play with it. If not just make sure your on the same frequency and use it.

If you guys are looking for better range and clarity this antenna is nice. Plus the 16 inch whip coming out of your breast pocket looks tactiCOOL AF!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2HOKI6/?tag=tacoma3g-20

Last edited:
I enjoyed your build on the other site so I’m definitely following along over here too. (y) Sweet setup so far
Thanks man its definitely tedious redoing everything so a couple post here and there when I feel like it. I'm actually trying to link an updated build list this time too.

I thought this is exactly what I said :ROFLMAO:

That chart is the FMRS, family mandated radio service frequencies that are open to everybody. Basically all I was saying is that they are capable of way more if you want to take the time to play with it. If not just make sure your on the same frequency and use it.

If you guys are looking for better range and clarity this antenna is nice. Plus the 16 inch whip coming out of your breast pocket looks tactiCOOL AF!
Awesome! I just won't touch the other 300 buttons :ROFLMAO:

I have really good Motorola walkie talkies now but they only work within a few hundred yards, or 100 yards-ish without line of sight. Usually that's enough but I want something better for longer trips and bigger trail runs. @JerryTaco2.0 don't you already have one of those Boner Fang radios from the 2017 Poker Run?

Awesome! I just won't touch the other 300 buttons :ROFLMAO:

I have really good Motorola walkie talkies now but they only work within a few hundred yards, or 100 yards-ish without line of sight. Usually that's enough but I want something better for longer trips and bigger trail runs. @JerryTaco2.0 don't you already have one of those Boner Fang radios from the 2017 Poker Run?
I do in fact have a Boner Fang radio and am very happy granted I just use it's most basic functions but works well on group runs. @ShankedT4R has an extended range antenna that works even better

I do in fact have a Boner Fang radio and am very happy granted I just use it's most basic functions but works well on group runs. @ShankedT4R has an extended range antenna that works even better
I should get one then, if for no other reason than to talk shit to random strangers on the same frequency

If you have a CB you can troll construction sites along your commute. Not that I know anything about that...?

If you have a CB you can troll construction sites along your commute. Not that I know anything about that...?
I work in construction so that sounds even better

But wait, you have a HAM and a CB in your truck?

I work in construction so that sounds even better

But wait, you have a HAM and a CB in your truck?
Kinda. The stryker is a 10 meter HAM but it's been modded to operate as a high powered 11 meter radio aka CB. It still has the 10 meter channels on a different deck but the antenna is tuned for CB frequencies so I never use it as a HAM.

Sounds complicated but the FCC limits CB radios to 4 watts so it's pretty common to mod or amplify radios for more power and better performance.

Kinda. The stryker is a 10 meter HAM but it's been modded to operate as a high powered 11 meter radio aka CB. It still has the 10 meter channels on a different deck but the antenna is tuned for CB frequencies so I never use it as a HAM.

Sounds complicated but the FCC limits CB radios to 4 watts so it's pretty common to mod or amplify radios for more power and better performance.
Umm, cool!

Haha, I'm electronically retarded. So your HAM also works as a CB... I think. That sounds nice. lol

I had performance muffler in Phoenix re-route the exhaust Y-pipe for better ground clearance. I also had them install Quick Time Performance electric exhaust cut out because sometimes lots of noise is awesome but Ineanted zero droning on long road trips. The cutout is powered via the switch-pro GPS button (Greater Power Simulator) and opens and closes via the toggle switch. I'm also using this heat shield to protect the transfer case actuator.

20180514_173607.jpg
20180514_165804.jpg
20180514_173626.jpg
20180514_205735.jpg
20180514_183752.jpg

20190607_132733.jpg
20180514_184928.jpg

20180514_205735.jpg

Here's a short video of the cutout in action. The sound in the beginning is the valve opening and then a cold start of the engine.

I also painted everything in back of the muffler black with VHT paint

Last edited:
Very nice and that sounds good!

Very nice and that sounds good!
Thanks! I listened to every aftermarket exhaust note on youtube and didn't like anything except the muffler deletes. It's crazy annoying on the freeway but thank God I can close it lol

My truck had a Magna flow on it when I purchased it. It sounded ok until I drove it on the freeway! I was about to pull my hair out! So I had them take it off when I did the reroute. Much better!

I had performance muffler in Phoenix re-route the exhaust Y-pipe for better ground clearance. I also had them install Quick Time Performance electric exhaust cut out because sometimes lots of noise is awesome but Ineanted zero droning on long road trips. The cutout is powered via the switch-pro GPS button (Greater Power Simulator) and opens and closes via the toggle switch. I'm also using this heat shield to protect the transfer case actuator.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7H6IA/?tag=tacoma3g-20
20180514_173607.jpg
20180514_165804.jpg
20180514_173626.jpg
20180514_205735.jpg
20180514_183752.jpg
20180514_184928.jpg

20180514_205735.jpg

Here's a short video of the cutout in action. The sound in the beginning is the valve opening and then a cold start of the engine.

I also painted everything in back of the muffler black with VHT paint
View attachment 4036View attachment 4037
I see you have a heat shield for the exhaust re-route. I'm having the re-route done today. Any recommendations on heat shield?

20180701_174212.jpg

Custom taillight mod!
Seriously have no idea how or when this happened? My garage is tight parking but no plastic shards anywhere and dont remember backing into the wall anytime lol.

20180701_174212.jpg

Custom taillight mod!
Seriously have no idea how or when this happened? My garage is tight parking but no plastic shards anywhere and dont remember backing into the wall anytime lol.

I hate finding stuff that I can’t figure out where it came from!

Does this mean it’s time for some pro taillights?

20180701_174212.jpg

Custom taillight mod!
No damage to tailgate or bumper?

I hate finding stuff that I can’t figure out where it came from!

Does this mean it’s time for some pro taillights?
I was actually thinking about that but just my opinion TRD red lights look better with inferno. From the pics I looked at I thought the pro blacks were too contrasting so I just ordered an OEM trd light
20180702_205632.jpg

No damage to tailgate or bumper?
None what so ever. I got the Avide RBG on the bumper so that would prevent some plastic damage but no noticeable scuffs. I'm at home depot like every other day so my money is on a handle from one of those flat bed carts smashing it. Just a guess though....

I was actually thinking about that but just my opinion TRD red lights look better with inferno. From the pics I looked at I thought the pro blacks were too contrasting so I just ordered an OEM trd light
20180702_205632.jpg

None what so ever. I got the Avide RBG on the bumper so that would prevent some plastic damage but no noticeable scuffs. I'm at home depot like every other day so my money is on a handle from one of those flat bed carts smashing it. Just a guess though....

I agree with that. I have a Barcelona red truck and I’ve been eyeing a set of the 2018 tails from an off road, since they are darker than my 2017s.

I had an annoying creaking and popping noise coming from my front end while going over large bumps. Turns out my front body mounts were pretty beat up so I swapped them out for an energy suspension bushings. No more Noise.
20180527_132527.jpg
20180527_124533.jpg
20180527_132413.jpg

Last edited:
I had an annoying creaking and popping noise coming from my front end while going over large speed bumps. Turns out my front body mounts were pretty beat up so I swapped them out for an energy suspension bushings. No more Noise.
20180527_132527.jpg
20180527_124533.jpg
20180527_132413.jpg

How easy is this to do

I had an annoying creaking and popping noise coming from my front end while going over large speed bumps. Turns out my front body mounts were pretty beat up so I swapped them out for an energy suspension bushings. No more Noise.
20180527_132527.jpg
20180527_124533.jpg
20180527_132413.jpg
Nice upgrade!

Back