• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Leaf Spring Comparison: All-Pro, Allcan, Icon, Dobinsons, Deavers, Archive, Dakars

I hear nothing but great things about the SPC UCA's. Not sure which one I'll go with. Here are the two I'm looking at as my final competitors.

vs

Leaning towards the ICON. The patented Delta Joint looks very interesting to me.
I don’t know much about the Icon UCA other than not hearing anything bad about them and that something probably makes them much more premium than the ones I have, lol.

Going BIG!!! What's driving your decision to go to 37's?
I’ve always wanted to. I like to go bigger and harder than I probably should. I like to break things. I like to try to do things differently when I can. I like to try to do whatever the hell I want because life is short anyway.

That’s why I’m getting ready to move to 37s and then hopefully in 2021 I’ll do the solid axle swap that I’ve been dying to do. I have no intentions of my truck being the common interpretation of practical.

It’s just a big metal object that doesn’t care if I do dumb things to it. As soon as I get done with road life I intend to wheel it through most of the best/hardest trails in the country.

Also, @Tacomadad18 just put his 37s on so I have to catch up.

I’ve always wanted to. I like to go bigger and harder than I probably should. I like to break things. I like to try to do things differently when I can. I like to try to do whatever the hell I want because life is short anyway.

That’s why I’m getting ready to move to 37s and then hopefully in 2021 I’ll do the solid axle swap that I’ve been dying to do. I have no intentions of my truck being the common interpretation of practical.

It’s just a big metal object that doesn’t care if I do dumb things to it. As soon as I get done with road life I intend to wheel it through most of the best/hardest trails in the country.

Also, @Tacomadad18 just put his 37s on so I have to catch up.
Fuck yea!!!! Love the anthem.

Good thread/info. I have definitely had binding issues with my Dakars and my shackles are all notched up. They squeak like crazy, but for the most part they get the job done. I feel like they flex really well, espescially with the @ARCHIVE garage shock relocation and HH's.

I'm running an HD pack with an additional EL46XL leaf in there. I got a lot of weight though.
20200503_114711.jpg
20200510_180001.jpg

I don’t know much about the Icon UCA other than not hearing anything bad about them and that something probably makes them much more premium than the ones I have, lol.
Ha ha, yea the whole "premium" thing! I try to do enough research to avoid buying something just because it's overpriced and acting premium. The thing I do like about ICON products is from what I've researched they really do extensive R&D on their products. Seems like more than others. Don't know the validity of this but I've been pairing this with reviews from actual users and they don't seem to miss. Still, doesn't mean there aren't other competitive quality products on the market. Decisions, decisions.

That longer shock setup sure works.
What shock did you use? I've got new springs, but even without flex the shocks are like limiters @Taco.HOG
Still waiting on my truck so haven't used anything yet. Just doing the research now. Thus far I'm pretty committed to the ICON Stage 9 or 10 kit but rethinking things to doing ICON but with the ARCHIVE leaf pack in the rear if and when they come out.

Ha ha, yea the whole "premium" thing! I try to do enough research to avoid buying something just because it's overpriced and acting premium. The thing I do like about ICON products is from what I've researched they really do extensive R&D on their products. Seems like more than others. Don't know the validity of this but I've been pairing this with reviews from actual users and they don't seem to miss. Still, doesn't mean there aren't other competitive quality products on the market. Decisions, decisions.
I’ve been to their warehouse and from what I saw their attention to detail and passion for what they do is superb. And I haven’t had any issues with my shocks from them.

I just don’t recommend their leaf springs. They’re known to be “weak” when you have a lot of weight and they don’t give you the height you expect in the first place. That seems to be the general consensus.

I’ve been to their warehouse and from what I saw their attention to detail and passion for what they do is superb. And I haven’t had any issues with my shocks from them.

I just don’t recommend their leaf springs. They’re known to be “weak” when you have a lot of weight and they don’t give you the height you expect in the first place. That seems to be the general consensus.
I hope I have decent results with my icon springs. Used all of the leafs, so maybe they will be slow to sag

Yes, I got this from your stellar review on leaf springs. Seems like the Archive kit will be the best. Any idea when they will have these available? If not for a while what is your next recommendation?

Yes, I got this from your stellar review on leaf springs. Seems like the Archive kit will be the best. Any idea when they will have these available? If not for a while what is your next recommendation?
@ARCHIVE

I think it will be a minute until his are ready.

My suggestion is to go with the Deaver pack mentioned in the first post of this thread or the @DobinsonsUSA heavy duty pack that I have on my truck.

Do you get any squeaking or other noise from you Dobinsons?
The Dakar brand squeak like crazy.

I switched to the Dobinsons hoping they wouldn’t squeak. I’ve had them for around 7 months now and they never squeaked until recently. They just started a subtle squeak that can probably be handled with more grease for another 7 months. Nothing like the Dakar ones I had, which were torture, lol.

The Dakar brand squeak like crazy.

I switched to the Dobinsons hoping they wouldn’t squeak. I’ve had them for around 7 months now and they never squeaked until recently. They just started a subtle squeak that can probably be handled with more grease for another 7 months. Nothing like the Dakar ones I had, which were torture, lol.
Good to know. What usually causes the squeaking with these after market leafs?

Good to know. What usually causes the squeaking with these after market leafs?
I don’t know why the squeaking happens with the aftermarket ones when it doesn’t with the stock ones.

But the squeaking is coming from either the poly bushings around the bolt that attaches the leaf springs to the truck, or coming from in between the leafs themselves, depending on where you got unlucky, lol. If the former, grease can stop it for a few months. If the latter, putting zip ties or a bicycle tube between the leafs can stop it.

I don’t know why the squeaking happens with the aftermarket ones when it doesn’t with the stock ones.

But the squeaking is coming from either the poly bushings around the bolt that attaches the leaf springs to the truck, or coming from in between the leafs themselves, depending on where you got unlucky, lol. If the former, grease can stop it for a few months. If the latter, putting zip ties or a bicycle tube between the leafs can stop it.
Actually squeaking happens on the stock ones too lol. Toyota replaced my first leaf packs due to squeaking. Now my second factory set are squeaking too. Granted I live in a desert so I’m not surprised. I’ll just clean and lube them and not worry so much. Just waiting till I get my lift and I’ll be putting an after market leaf pack in

Good info. Do you have any reports as to which leaves are noise and which ones have reported no problems? A big ask I know, most likely many contributing factors based on each individual build but thought I'd ask anyway.

Actually squeaking happens on the stock ones too lol. Toyota replaced my first leaf packs due to squeaking. Now my second factory set are squeaking too. Granted I live in a desert so I’m not surprised. I’ll just clean and lube them and not worry so much. Just waiting till I get my lift and I’ll be putting an after market leaf pack in
First I heard about stock squeaking, that sucks.

My 1984 and 1986 trucks don't even squeak lolz

Good info. Do you have any reports as to which leaves are noise and which ones have reported no problems? A big ask I know, most likely many contributing factors based on each individual build but thought I'd ask anyway.
I can only speak on the two I had because I haven't paid much attention to people using other brands mentioning if theirs squeak or not. I'd bet they all do at some point.

Dakar HD leaf springs: They were heavy duty. Never sagged. Took all of the abusive desert running I threw at them. But they are SO squeakin' loud on anyone's truck that has them.

@DobinsonsUSA super HD springs: Also very heavy duty. Like I said, no squeak for like 7 months and now they have a very small squeak that really doesn't get noticed.

Here is a video of 2,600 pounds of rock in my truck and the Dakar noise. They made this noise 100% of the time, even accelerating at a stop sign.

View attachment 26128

I can only speak on the two I had because I haven't paid much attention to people using other brands mentioning if theirs squeak or not. I'd bet they all do at some point.

Dakar HD leaf springs: They were heavy duty. Never sagged. Took all of the abusive desert running I threw at them. But they are SO squeakin' loud on anyone's truck that has them.

@DobinsonsUSA super HD springs: Also very heavy duty. Like I said, no squeak for like 7 months and now they have a very small squeak that really doesn't get noticed.

Here is a video of 2,600 pounds of rock in my truck and the Dakar noise. They made this noise 100% of the time, even accelerating at a stop sign.

View attachment 26128
Awesome!
Check your U-bolts, Our Taco had a slight squeak and when we brought it in to check it out turns out the driver side u bolts were loose, We tightened them back up and the squeaking was gone, If not it could be a bushing.
If you can have someone jump inside of that mighty camper of yours and cycle the suspension, Try to locate the noise and put your hand and you will feel the movement as a small but noticible vibration.

We have came out with a new design for our 110, 111 and 112 Leafs. Now with Add-A-Leaf options.

Unfortunately only compatible with the latest leafs but they will provide an upgrade to the next leaf.
-110 to a 111
-111 to a 112
Even an Ultra HD 112 to "113" which is capable of loads up to 1450lb on the DCSB and 1210lb on the DCLB while maintaining 2" of lift

The new design will begin testing later this week to confirm proper fitment and to make sure that the bolt on the gas tank is facing the right way.

First I heard about stock squeaking, that sucks.

My 1984 and 1986 trucks don't even squeak lolz
Yeah it’s kind of annoying but I just blame the desert environment. Hopefully within a year I’ll have my suspension stuff and won’t have to worry about it anymore. After the next year I leave the desert anyways so win win 🤷🏼‍♂️

Awesome!
Check your U-bolts, Our Taco had a slight squeak and when we brought it in to check it out turns out the driver side u bolts were loose, We tightened them back up and the squeaking was gone, If not it could be a bushing.
If you can have someone jump inside of that mighty camper of yours and cycle the suspension, Try to locate the noise and put your hand and you will feel the movement as a small but noticible vibration.
Good tip. Will do.

After a week of driving with the leaf pack (Went from Dakar HD's to Deaver U402 Stage 3's)...what an amazing difference! On-road performance is so much smoother, the springs now properly support the weight in the back. I was able to go to the dunes and do some hot laps and holy smokes it felt like butter! Definitely a worthy upgrade from the short squeaky dakars!

For reference my truck weighs 6540 with 3140 at the rear axle.

Interesting thread. I was all set to go with the Dakars but I'm now thinking of @ARCHIVE or @DobinsonsUSA . I'm in no rush at the moment but was wondering if some of you guys could give me advice. Right now I sold my Bedrack in favor of a ARE Overland Camper that I should get by December. That alone would be a constant 200lbs or so. The other thing is that I plan to tow our RV as well, like 4-5 times out of the year.

Would would you all recommend in my scenario. I also dont care too much about lifting the truck so I I would like to remain around the 2" of lift area.

Interesting thread. I was all set to go with the Dakars but I'm now thinking of @ARCHIVE or @DobinsonsUSA . I'm in no rush at the moment but was wondering if some of you guys could give me advice. Right now I sold my Bedrack in favor of a ARE Overland Camper that I should get by December. That alone would be a constant 200lbs or so. The other thing is that I plan to tow our RV as well, like 4-5 times out of the year.

Would would you all recommend in my scenario. I also dont care too much about lifting the truck so I I would like to remain around the 2" of lift area.
I recommend one of the two you mentioned, or Deaver. But as someone that now has airbags, I recommend airbags even more than new leaf springs if you aren't interested in a lift and just want to be able to level the truck for payload and/or towing.

These are what I have. They are super useful, durable, easy to install, cheap, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FEOSJY/?tag=tacoma3g-20

With these you could put WAY too much weight on the truck (or trailer) and have zero sag in the back. I'm not saying you should ignore safety. But at 3,000 lbs rating for each bag, they can handle anything your Tacoma can.

Back