SUSPENSION Leaf Spring Comparison: All-Pro, Allcan, Icon, Dobinsons, Deavers, Archive, Dakars

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
I'm not tied to a budget. I'll go all out to do it correctly and with the best parts and labor.
If you don’t have a budget it makes it easy.

You can get higher end adjustable remote reservoir shocks from Icon or King and use heavy duty leaf springs in the rear to make sure you get the 3” you want. I would use DobinsonsUSA or wait for ARCHIVE for leaf springs but there are other options we can discuss as well.

For the front get “heavy duty” springs which will likely have a 730lb rating, which also kind of help with the 3” you want. Then, if you still have a rake and you want the truck higher, you can adjust the shock itself to get it level.

This comparison of mine might give you some insight on what 3” could look like?

CA318B8B-757A-4A78-B862-FCFAD1985F89.jpeg

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
Jetspeed here’s the first lift I had, a budget lift. But now I don’t really remember the numbers, though I think it was 3” in the front. I didn’t keep the tires stock though.

F9D3E436-69F4-48FB-BF86-8DBE88ADCB8A.jpeg
8E94CC25-8EA8-491C-9D3C-D4A256B4C060.jpeg

Jetspeed

= IV • Gold
T3G Supporter
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
#7,175
If you don’t have a budget it makes it easy.

You can get higher end adjustable remote reservoir shocks from Icon or King and use heavy duty leaf springs in the rear to make sure you get the 3” you want. I would use DobinsonsUSA or wait for ARCHIVE for leaf springs but there are other options we can discuss as well.

For the front get “heavy duty” springs which will likely have a 730lb rating, which also kind of help with the 3” you want. Then, if you still have a rake and you want the truck higher, you can adjust the shock itself to get it level.

This comparison of mine might give you some insight on what 3” could look like?

That's looking great! What kind of trimming did you have to do for that size tire with the lift?

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
I had to cut some of the inner fender (not visible) and do a large cab mount chop. The upper control arms are adjusted to move the tires forward a bit as well. And having the high clearance front bumper takes care of the trimming to the stock front bumper that I would’ve had to do.

Jetspeed

= IV • Gold
T3G Supporter
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
#7,175
I had to cut some of the inner fender (not visible) and do a large cab mount chop. The upper control arms are adjusted to move the tires forward a bit as well. And having the high clearance front bumper takes care of the trimming to the stock front bumper that I would’ve had to do.
Did you go with SPC UCA's?

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
Did you go with SPC UCA's?
Yeah. They’re probably almost 3 years old now, pretty abused, and haven’t even had to replace the joints or boots yet. Highly recommend them.

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
I’ll be doing 37s soon so more work will have to be done.

Jetspeed

= IV • Gold
T3G Supporter
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
#7,175
Yeah. They’re probably almost 3 years old now, pretty abused, and haven’t even had to replace the joints or boots yet. Highly recommend them.
I hear nothing but great things about the SPC UCA's. Not sure which one I'll go with. Here are the two I'm looking at as my final competitors.

vs

Leaning towards the ICON. The patented Delta Joint looks very interesting to me.

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
I hear nothing but great things about the SPC UCA's. Not sure which one I'll go with. Here are the two I'm looking at as my final competitors.

vs

Leaning towards the ICON. The patented Delta Joint looks very interesting to me.
I don’t know much about the Icon UCA other than not hearing anything bad about them and that something probably makes them much more premium than the ones I have, lol.

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
Going BIG!!! What's driving your decision to go to 37's?
I’ve always wanted to. I like to go bigger and harder than I probably should. I like to break things. I like to try to do things differently when I can. I like to try to do whatever the hell I want because life is short anyway.

That’s why I’m getting ready to move to 37s and then hopefully in 2021 I’ll do the solid axle swap that I’ve been dying to do. I have no intentions of my truck being the common interpretation of practical.

It’s just a big metal object that doesn’t care if I do dumb things to it. As soon as I get done with road life I intend to wheel it through most of the best/hardest trails in the country.

Also, Tacomadad18 just put his 37s on so I have to catch up.

Jetspeed

= IV • Gold
T3G Supporter
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
#7,175
I’ve always wanted to. I like to go bigger and harder than I probably should. I like to break things. I like to try to do things differently when I can. I like to try to do whatever the hell I want because life is short anyway.

That’s why I’m getting ready to move to 37s and then hopefully in 2021 I’ll do the solid axle swap that I’ve been dying to do. I have no intentions of my truck being the common interpretation of practical.

It’s just a big metal object that doesn’t care if I do dumb things to it. As soon as I get done with road life I intend to wheel it through most of the best/hardest trails in the country.

Also, Tacomadad18 just put his 37s on so I have to catch up.
Fuck yea!!!! Love the anthem.

Taco.HOG

= IV • Gold
RotM Winner
T3G Supporter
First Name
Matt
Military
Marine Corps
T3G Member
Good thread/info. I have definitely had binding issues with my Dakars and my shackles are all notched up. They squeak like crazy, but for the most part they get the job done. I feel like they flex really well, espescially with the ARCHIVE garage shock relocation and HH's.

I'm running an HD pack with an additional EL46XL leaf in there. I got a lot of weight though.
20200503_114711.jpg
20200510_180001.jpg

Jetspeed

= IV • Gold
T3G Supporter
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
#7,175
I don’t know much about the Icon UCA other than not hearing anything bad about them and that something probably makes them much more premium than the ones I have, lol.
Ha ha, yea the whole "premium" thing! I try to do enough research to avoid buying something just because it's overpriced and acting premium. The thing I do like about ICON products is from what I've researched they really do extensive R&D on their products. Seems like more than others. Don't know the validity of this but I've been pairing this with reviews from actual users and they don't seem to miss. Still, doesn't mean there aren't other competitive quality products on the market. Decisions, decisions.

CBrob

= IV • Gold
T3G Supporter
First Name
Rob
T3G Member
#6,720
That longer shock setup sure works.
What shock did you use? I've got new springs, but even without flex the shocks are like limiters Taco.HOG

Jetspeed

= IV • Gold
T3G Supporter
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
#7,175
That longer shock setup sure works.
What shock did you use? I've got new springs, but even without flex the shocks are like limiters Taco.HOG
Still waiting on my truck so haven't used anything yet. Just doing the research now. Thus far I'm pretty committed to the ICON Stage 9 or 10 kit but rethinking things to doing ICON but with the ARCHIVE leaf pack in the rear if and when they come out.

Tyler

= IX • Paragon
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
Ha ha, yea the whole "premium" thing! I try to do enough research to avoid buying something just because it's overpriced and acting premium. The thing I do like about ICON products is from what I've researched they really do extensive R&D on their products. Seems like more than others. Don't know the validity of this but I've been pairing this with reviews from actual users and they don't seem to miss. Still, doesn't mean there aren't other competitive quality products on the market. Decisions, decisions.
I’ve been to their warehouse and from what I saw their attention to detail and passion for what they do is superb. And I haven’t had any issues with my shocks from them.

I just don’t recommend their leaf springs. They’re known to be “weak” when you have a lot of weight and they don’t give you the height you expect in the first place. That seems to be the general consensus.

CBrob

= IV • Gold
T3G Supporter
First Name
Rob
T3G Member
#6,720
I’ve been to their warehouse and from what I saw their attention to detail and passion for what they do is superb. And I haven’t had any issues with my shocks from them.

I just don’t recommend their leaf springs. They’re known to be “weak” when you have a lot of weight and they don’t give you the height you expect in the first place. That seems to be the general consensus.
I hope I have decent results with my icon springs. Used all of the leafs, so maybe they will be slow to sag

Jetspeed

= IV • Gold
T3G Supporter
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
T3G Member
#7,175

Yes, I got this from your stellar review on leaf springs. Seems like the Archive kit will be the best. Any idea when they will have these available? If not for a while what is your next recommendation?

Top Bottom