• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Jfrisch’s Red Taco build

Are you really?

Yes, buuut. I’m going to build it myself. It won’t be 100% like that one but with the fender flares and tapered back end that is what I want it to look like. The “shell” will be down the road. Just wanting a flat bed for now.

Yes, buuut. I’m going to build it myself. It won’t be 100% like that one but with the fender flares and tapered back end that is what I want it to look like. The “shell” will be down the road. Just wanting a flat bed for now.
That sounds like it will be one badass project. I imagine you’re the first to be doing it on a 3rd gen.

That sounds like it will be one badass project. I imagine you’re the first to be doing it on a 3rd gen.

I try to be different. Anyone can buy things but I have way more fun building!

Going to be gathering the metal in the next month. I’ll start after my moab trip.Im ready to start it like now though. So many advantages to having a flat bed on the trail.

Made myself an off-road jack. It was just a thought that popped in my head at the store and went with it. Didn’t turn out bad. It’s nothing compared to the real ones but hey if it works it works.

6A70E3C6-1BFD-494E-B131-4B6605B7A05C.jpeg

Made myself an off-road jack. It was just a thought that popped in my head at the store and went with it. Didn’t turn out bad. It’s nothing compared to the real ones but hey if it works it works.

6A70E3C6-1BFD-494E-B131-4B6605B7A05C.jpeg
That’s cool. The real ones are a good way to needlessly throw away a bunch of money, IMO. What you did was probably ten times cheaper.

That’s cool. The real ones are a good way to needlessly throw away a bunch of money, IMO. What you did was probably ten times cheaper.

I still think the real ones are sweet but I’m a cheap ass. I’ll make my own and if it doesn’t work then I’ll buy the real one ?

all together it cost about $105 to build. Jack and all that.

Went exploring today to local parks around our house. It was a beautiful 60* and sunny today

A1D5829B-9220-49BA-B810-5A02C5045B77.jpeg

What are your wheel specs? Backspacing and offset really. I’m looking into the Kenda klever 35’s. I have scs ray 10’s they will be mounted on with 4.30” backspacing and -10 offset. Reading back, you didn’t seem to have to modify too much so hoping I won’t have to either lol

Mine will have a detachable camper shell or pod. Something like that below.
Like Jim’s second gen from Southern Expeditions.
View: https://youtu.be/L7Pm1o6i0Yk
I was just back tracking in this tred, this guy definition of bought not built. I used to follow the original owner on insta chandlerdoom fucking loved that truck but damn this Jim fella, he barely had any idea on what was going on with his tacoma lol. But I have so many screenshots from chandler's instagram because I want to go with a flatbed like that eventually. All he did was wrap it and maybe put stuff in the canopy idk if chandler ever had much inside.

What are your wheel specs? Backspacing and offset really. I’m looking into the Kenda klever 35’s. I have scs ray 10’s they will be mounted on with 4.30” backspacing and -10 offset. Reading back, you didn’t seem to have to modify too much so hoping I won’t have to either lol

I really didn’t do much to fit them. A hefty cmc chop and pinch weld folding. Along with making the fender liner flush with all the new clearance.

I wish I knew the specs of the wheels but I got them used so I do not. Someone said it’s on the inside of the wheel, I just haven’t looked yet lol. I do know that they are about the same as the stock wheels.

I really didn’t do much to fit them. A hefty cmc chop and pinch weld folding. Along with making the fender liner flush with all the new clearance.

I wish I knew the specs of the wheels but I got them used so I do not. Someone said it’s on the inside of the wheel, I just haven’t looked yet lol. I do know that they are about the same as the stock wheels.
Okay, thank you

Well I followed a Comanche on 1 tons and 40s up a trail that I’ve only done 1/4 of it before. May have messed the alignment up a tad bit, messed up the sensor in front and bent the front bumper.... BUT man was it fun.

I suck and took no pics of us wheeling except the entrance while leaving 😞

AFAE4236-1CE4-4B26-9224-5FCB656BDFB4.jpeg
0DACCBF8-C309-4117-9476-33E0269B2DD8.jpeg

I guess now I know how the orange dash lights got there as well

Tore off the bumper, head light and bumper cover on passenger side.

Little back story, was climbing (crawling, rocks) behind a Jeep on 40s and 1 tons, to a section with 2- 3 foot or so ledges. Roughly 12 ft apart from each other on a 30ish degree hill. Truck had some difficulty due to it being wet and slickkkk. Slide backwards and came down hard on the front bumper. Ended up tilting the bumper up and pushing grille up and headlight, etc.

So I have to replace a few clips and ended up with a broken tab on the headlight. Not a huge deal. Alignment will also have to be done.

Sorry no pics of the wheeling 😔

644B846A-A17A-4896-A844-88454F8443D0.jpeg

After a whole lot of fun, I had to get my alignment fixed. Figured it would straighten the wheel but everything the shop tried wouldn’t straighten the wheel. I ended up bringing it home and taking care of it.

Takes about 5 minutes to fix, under the dash.

I’ll eventually write it all out for you non video watchers but here’s the link for the time being. Hope it helps!

Original link: https://youtu.be/MnAThLU5wAA

After a whole lot of fun, I had to get my alignment fixed. Figured it would straighten the wheel but everything the shop tried wouldn’t straighten the wheel. I ended up bringing it home and taking care of it.

Takes about 5 minutes to fix, under the dash.

I’ll eventually write it all out for you non video watchers but here’s the link for the time being. Hope it helps!

Original link: https://youtu.be/MnAThLU5wAA
A good alignment guy who understands aftermarket suspension is a rare find! I drove home last weekend almost 5 hours on the freeway with a skewed alignment! Nothing worse than steering wheel off center and front end fishing all over the road! But man did we have fun, attched is a short vidoe of the adventure!

Thanks for posting this good information!

https://vimeo.com/showcase/7063969

Back