• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Jfrisch’s Red Taco build

Gorgeous rig, that red is a great color. what size are the tires in that pic? Wild Peaks? Are they noisy on the highway?

i just looked up House Springs, and realized I was up your way this week. Had to attend a two day meeting for work in St. Louis.

Thanks! Yes they are wildpeaks. They are baby 265 70 17s. Not really noisy on the highway at all. You can hear them if you’re listening for them but nothing like other all terrains I’ve heard.

Should have stopped by and said hi!

Since I got hung up with taking care of the Tacobox issues last week, all I got done was the legs to weld to the frame.

Started welding the sliders to the truck today, one side is finished. Of course I had to make sure they were strong enough to hold the truck up ?‍♀️

58D39058-37C8-44D2-A406-5113BCFC9B33.jpeg

Well I finally ordered the 35s.

Going to knock out the cmc and trimming this weekend so the truck is ready for them.

Super excited for the little clearance I will gain from the extra inches the tires will provide. The truck is pretty capable as it is but im on 265 70s and there is so many things I want to crawl. Unfortunately my tires right now limit me ?. Can’t wait!

Took care of the cmc myself today. Thanks to BAMF for the plates. Super quick delivery too!

Took care of the pinch weld as well, ended up not notching it, instead I bent it toward the fender. Thought process was that I’ll use it to hold the fender liner in. Didn’t turn out bad and if I don’t have to do any more trimming once the 35s go on I’ll be golden.

I’ll make a video and post it on my YouTube if anyone is interested.

5250D8BD-5F84-4CF6-B887-B2F54C1E4676.jpeg
5EA4D241-F83A-437C-8B3E-E0B1D799BE71.jpeg

Subscribed (Wandering Winterfields)! And I love the Tacobox ghost driver video.

Thanks! I appreciate it??

Now that I have more meat, I’ll do the very technical spots with the tacobox that I’ve tried but failed miserably lol

Thanks! I appreciate it??

Now that I have more meat, I’ll do the very technical spots with the tacobox that I’ve tried but failed miserably lol
I'm sure there's a learning curve for using it to its fullest potential. It's probably not immediately obvious what config you should be in for a given scenario.

I'm sure there's a learning curve for using it to its fullest potential. It's probably not immediately obvious what config you should be in for a given scenario.

That is for sure. Sometimes there is no way around it, you gotta give it some gas! ?

There is one spot that I never made it up in my old jeeps or my truck. Seems as you have to have at least 35s to get up it. So I’m ready to try that one again and hopefully make it up, it’s knarly.

That is for sure. Sometimes there is no way around it, you gotta give it some gas! ?

There is one spot that I never made it up in my old jeeps or my truck. Seems as you have to have at least 35s to get up it. So I’m ready to try that one again and hopefully make it up, it’s knarly.
Awesome, take a video when you try it!

how well do those tires fit at full flex/stuff without trimming the fender? Im hoping to jump up to 35"s next year

No rub at all! So far... lol I’ve “bench tested them” and they did not rub. I only slightly rubbed when reversing at full lock to passenger.

Well I went to a local off-road park again, Moonlight, today.

Got hi entered twice and stuck on sliders on a spot I was sure to get up with ease. Oh well, back to the drawing board. The sliders seem too low, so it’s a possibility I might bend the pinchweld under the cab and tuck the sliders up higher.

Might just post the video of all the attempts today, probably about an hours worth.

Here is the truck, stuck as that big rock slid me the wrong way ?

961D1451-EBA7-4E27-A0AF-2BEDC1158E9F.jpeg

Here’s something different.

Most of the time I only film the good stuff. Well today was filled with “bad” stuff, so I figured why not? This is 15+ minutes of attempted climbs, with no gear finish. It’s a bummer but that means I just have to redirect my attention to how the truck handles off road.

Bring snacks!

View: https://youtu.be/c9ZmAF1GlXY

I just watched your recent video. While I don't think it was slowing you down much, a high clearance rear might be something to consider since you were clearly dragging your ass on that climb. But again, your bumper handled it fine and it didn't really slow you down except for when it almost got caught up while reversing. I'd agree that your sliders and/or the overall ground clearance of the truck was the stopping factor. You tried many lines and it seemed like the only thing you needed was more height or bigger tires. I'd say go to 35s, but well you know, they're already there. :unsure:

If it were me I'd be going back to that spot until it becomes my bitch.

I just watched your recent video. While I don't think it was slowing you down much, a high clearance rear might be something to consider since you were clearly dragging your ass on that climb. But again, your bumper handled it fine and it didn't really slow you down except for when it almost got caught up while reversing. I'd agree that your sliders and/or the overall ground clearance of the truck was the stopping factor. You tried many lines and it seemed like the only thing you needed was more height or bigger tires. I'd say go to 35s, but well you know, they're already there. :unsure:

If it were me I'd be going back to that spot until it becomes my bitch.

The sad part about the waterfall is I’ve made it on 265 70s lol. Yesterday was just not my day. I totally thought that with 35s life would be easier, boy was I wrong lol. It’s still all in good fun and I will be going back Asap. I think a front locker is much needed now

The sad part about the waterfall is I’ve made it on 265 70s lol. Yesterday was just not my day. I totally thought that with 35s life would be easier, boy was I wrong lol. It’s still all in good fun and I will be going back Asap. I think a front locker is much needed now
I feel your pain having fresh 35s and a TacoBox and realizing the 265s and stock t-case are superior. :mad:

Kidding.

Here’s the little dinger from the weekends fun. Kinda annoyed, kinda glad. It wasn’t the tailgate, then again wish it was the taillight lol oh well ?‍♀️

61CA922F-C504-40D9-AD64-A3C27F9606F4.jpeg

My YouTube channel (tacomadad) hit 10k views. I cannot tell you how impressed I am and thankful for all of you guys who watch the videos. It’s been a short period of time but I never thought it could grow like it has. I still have a lot to learn but I feel as though I’m getting better with every day.
Thank you to all who watch the videos and subscribe, like and comment, keep it up!

Back