Jfrisch’s Red Taco build

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Tacomadad18

T3G Level: Onyx
T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
Well it’s a start ?‍♀️

Bought my 2018 SR5 auto taco in September 2018 with 27miles

First day I found some in channel AVS window visors, a must have if you do not already.

I bought with intentions of building it the way I want. ARB air locker (s), tires, wheels, bumpers, skid plates, sliders, etc.

So far it has and I don’t consider these mods just personal items:

Black Tacoma emblem for tailgate
Red Tacoma decals for glove box
AVS window visors
A/c drain re-route
24” light bar behind grille, with factory look switch in dash
Trifold bed cover
Roof rack
Faux pro grille
Toyota branded exhaust tip (lol)
Bed lighting
Led interior lights
Toyota door sill protectors
Toyota weather floor mats

I got hit on December 1st by a driver not paying attention. Messed up the passenger bedside, broke bumper, bent exhaust and messed up the flare.

A week at the body shop all is good. Bumper was backordered so I bought a new one and I’m quite happy with it!

Rear bumper: Body Armor Pro Series
Has little things like D ring spots and cutouts for pod lights.

Just got the truck back from shop (bodyshop that fixed the truck said they would throw this one on for free, so why not)

Installing the pods this weekend and putting those d rings on.

I plan on getting tires and Bilsteins here in a little while.

8639CB05-48C3-4964-901C-771F48E51E57.jpeg
BDE442C7-6229-4C18-8F52-E89C2C532A10.jpeg
89DEB339-62E0-4A2F-9536-9E9BF9D698C6.jpeg
8ABCF199-494A-43AE-A16D-31D7609F7C10.jpeg

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Grandmaster
Vendor Relations
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
Nice upgrade for the bumper. Looks good. That's cool they upgraded without issue.

Tacomadad18

T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
Nice upgrade for the bumper. Looks good. That's cool they upgraded without issue.

The body shop had no problem with it. The oem one with all the parts was around $800. This one is $525. Easy decision for me. I like it already. Seems well built, cutouts and d ring spots were what I was looking for.

Tacomadad18

T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
It definitely looks good against the Barcelona. (y)

Thanks man! It’s the first actual mod I’ve done to protect the truck. Pretty happy with it. Working on tires and a lift now so it’ll make it look more tough ? lol

Mr. Nobody

Vendor Relations
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
Well I was just gonna do the Bilsteins but now I’m looking again, I like the Icon stage 3. Who knows what I’ll end up with.

And the fall down the rabbit hole begins...… hahahaha :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:

Mr. Nobody

Vendor Relations
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
Ain’t that right. I’m always down a rabbit hole, guns, jeeps etc lol. Hobbies are important!

I was just telling my wife today, "yeah I think I'm going to buy an x, maybe give me a new y (hobby) to do." She just looked at me and said "you've got enough hobbies."

???????

Tyler

T3G Level: Legendary
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
Welcome to T3G! Sucks about what happened to you. I also got hit by someone not paying attention. $15k in damage. But at least you sweet bumper. It looks good.

Tacomadad18

T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
Welcome to T3G! Sucks about what happened to you. I also got hit by someone not paying attention. $15k in damage. But at least you sweet bumper. It looks good.

Holy cow! 15k it must have been crazy damage. That sucks even worse. The bumper was already on the list to get, so it just came sooner than expected lol. Thanks man!

Tacomadad18

T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
Drove a few hours to pick up some tires for the truck. Gonna drop it off to my bro in law to have the tpms switched and double check balance and what not tomorrow. Should have them on the truck in a day or so!

488ECA61-4046-4B54-8C22-EB935127A0B1.png

Tacomadad18

T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
Wheels and tires mounted. Got to late to take a pic outside. We do have 6” or so of snow coming so I should get some good snow pics for the first time!

I really hate how rough the ride is now though. I’m either now getting a lift or airing down some to absorb it a little.

Looks way better than on stockers though lol.
79AE6C59-8012-4A4B-9FB8-8EB2D45F736D.jpeg

Tacomadad18

T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
kind of a lose/win situation with the bumper. On one hand you got hit and that sucks, on the other i think you got a better looking bumper out of it. Your build looks great so far man, welcome!

Yeah, TBH I’m completely happy with the outcome. Right now they are working on getting my deductible back so if all fault is on other driver it happy. I did do everything I could to avoid the accident. She did not.

Tacomadad18

T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
Update on the truck:

Absolutely hated the BFGs. Yes, I’m sorry to the guys who like them but they are not for me on this truck. Drive way to much every day and couldn’t stand them. Every time it rained, even slightly getting on the gas after a green light, tires would spin. Wet traction is not there.

I bought a new set of Falken Wildpeak at3w 115T. 265-70-17. I love these tires so far. Approx 500 miles on these and no complaints. Slightly hard to balance out, but the shop took care of it once I said something. All good on the road now. I have yet to test them offroad but we’ll see.

Plus side, sold my stock wheels and tires for what I paid for the Falkens and mounting. ?
7BA69780-6E4B-47AE-A583-31EF83FA54F5.jpeg

Romp-A-Taco

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Supporter
First Name
James
T3G Member
#2,373
Update on the truck:

Absolutely hated the BFGs. Yes, I’m sorry to the guys who like them but they are not for me on this truck. Drive way to much every day and couldn’t stand them. Every time it rained, even slightly getting on the gas after a green light, tires would spin. Wet traction is not there.

I bought a new set of Falken Wildpeak at3w 115T. 265-70-17. I love these tires so far. Approx 500 miles on these and no complaints. Slightly hard to balance out, but the shop took care of it once I said something. All good on the road now. I have yet to test them offroad but we’ll see.

Plus side, sold my stock wheels and tires for what I paid for the Falkens and mounting. ?View attachment 9589

Nice! I'm loving the wild peaks as well. Though I have not driven on any other off road tires, so don't know the difference. Interesting that BFGs didn't have good road traction in the rain.

Top Bottom