• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

T3G Feedback and questions about Tacoma3G.com - How can our community and website be better?

Do you like the new darker one I just posted? Because I might end up scrapping the one you’re talking about. Or I could just try to have both.
sorry, slowing ready thru the threads.
i do like it, i usually go on dark modes, it's easier on my crappy eyes

Here is a preview of my updated version of the screenshot in the quote above. This new version is meant to be a dark mode of a Barcelona Red theme. There will be light modes and other Tacoma colors (I know the red isn't accurate; it's not meant to be.)

Please let me know if you think this is better than the last iteration and what you'd like changed.

Remember, it's still an incomplete version therefore things are broken/missing (such as a logo).

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 16.00.59.png
Thank you for the time you've put in! Love this forum...

I like the dark more personally - then again I'm super happy with where it's at right now!
I do like the ones we have now. The issue I have with them is that they have a lot of poor coding and minor bugs due to me being too much of a noob a few years ago.

Instead of going through code to find the bugs for hours on end, I’d rather start completely fresh and see if I can modernize it a little bit more. (I feel like this new font feels much more modern than the current font.)

Starting fresh and using clean code also means faster page loading.

I like it. I'd just suggest redesigning the 3 in Tacoma 3G. It doesn't flow that well for me. Other than that...cool!

I like it. I'd just suggest redesigning the 3 in Tacoma 3G. It doesn't flow that well for me. Other than that...cool!
Yeah, I've actually fixed that already but haven't uploaded it yet. Thanks for the feedback!

I think the thing that discourages me the most is the fact that we have over 6,000 members but a majority of them have never made a post. I just find that odd. Why bother joining if you'd literally never revisit the website after you created the account? We don't bite!
I've run various forums for over 20 years now, and that is the norm. Right now I am down to running one forum which I have been cleaning up; after one year of no post/no visits, then the user is deleted. I am now down to 3k members, 2k with zero post, on a 13yo forum. You might want to enable email verification, that will help limit bots which are likely a large number of the non posting members.

I've run various forums for over 20 years now, and that is the norm. Right now I am down to running one forum which I have been cleaning up; after one year of no post/no visits, then the user is deleted. I am now down to 3k members, 2k with zero post, on a 13yo forum. You might want to enable email verification, that will help limit bots which are likely a large number of the non posting members.
I feel you.

None of the members you see in the member count are bots though. The bots join and try to post but it doesn't show because I have a filter in place. Then I see that they are a bot, ban their IP and email, then delete their account so it doesn't inflate the amount of members it says we have.

We really do have about 6,500 members but only a few thousand are active per annual quarter. Not the best, not the worst.

Made some subtle changes, added the temporary header while I fix the logo and come up with something decent for a header, started messing with other colors besides red. I'm really enjoying using this design over the current ones.

1606799282494.png

I’m intentionally teasing. But fuck, I love what I have going for T3G2G behind the scenes. I’m dying to have it all go live.

Great Job Tyler,
Your hard work and dedication for this page shows tremendously. I appreciate and enjoy viewing and reading your efforts. Thank you

Dont know what everyone else thinks, but maybe a minumum ammount of posts required to post on the marketplace?
Seem to be alot of lurkers lately.....

Dont know what everyone else thinks, but maybe a minumum ammount of posts required to post on the marketplace?
Good point. I think I meant to do that a while ago and totally forgot.

Everyone needs 10 or more total posts to use that section now. That, or T3G Supporter. Same as how RotM works.

Any chance you can make the 'Build Thread' profile setting available to the rest of us? Or at least T3G supporters?

Any chance you can make the 'Build Thread' profile setting available to the rest of us? Or at least T3G supporters?
It is my goal to have this with T3G 2.0 but I still haven't found a way to implement it for everyone. I can do it but the risk is people putting a completely unrelated URL in that spot. I don't think anyone would do anything malicious, but idk.

It is my goal to have this with T3G 2.0 but I still haven't found a way to implement it for everyone. I can do it but the risk is people putting a completely unrelated URL in that spot. I don't think anyone would do anything malicious, but idk.

Aaannd just as I posted that, I think I figured it out.

Your build thread link is https://tacoma3g.com/threads/nvtacos-2021-pro-slow-build.11416/. The numbers at the end, 11416, are the unique ID of the thread. I'm pretty sure I can make it so the user only puts those numbers in the text box and then the full link is automatically populated. Sweet!

I have a suggestion. You know how you can't post to the ROTM unless you have made 10 posts or something? I think it would be interesting if you made it so you couldn't post questions about wheels or tires until you made 10 posts as well. Just as a social experiment ya know?

I have a suggestion. You know how you can't post to the ROTM unless you have made 10 posts or something? I think it would be interesting if you made it so you couldn't post questions about wheels or tires until you made 10 posts as well. Just as a social experiment ya know?
What do you think the benefit of that would be?

I sort of agree, but these new guys have to rack up 10 posts somehow... lol
Limiting new members and/or new Tacoma owners from being able to ask their newbie questions, regardless of how many similar questions have been asked previously, isn’t something I will do.

Most forums have a “search first”, or worse, a “did you even Google it” mentality. I don’t agree with that. Repetitive newbie questions is like 1/3 of what an online forum is for.

Limiting new members and/or new Tacoma owners from being able to ask their newbie questions, regardless of how many similar questions have been asked previously, isn’t something I will do.

Most forums have a “search first”, or worse, a “did you even Google it” mentality. I don’t agree with that. Repetitive newbie questions is like 1/3 of what an online forum is for.
Yeah, I think I was just venting a bit and trying to make a joke about people driving directly from the Toyota lot to the Discount Tires. I think the lock down is effecting my brain. Ignore me. It's been a difficult work week.

Yeah, I think I was just venting a bit and trying to make a joke about people driving directly from the Toyota lot to the Discount Tires. I think the lock down is effecting my brain. Ignore me. It's been a difficult work week.
everyone's brains, has been effected with all of the BS.

To be honest...not a fan of the new update. The black background with the dark red headers make it really hard to find where the page breaks are (Is there a way to change that, that im missing?). The overall new fonts make the forum site feel older, the previous Tacoma3G felt new and modern compared to this update. Also the organization of the home page on the previous site was easier to find thread posts. I would also make the MAIN header be able to fit all the categories (home, forum, resources, etc.), I couldnt find ROTM until I hit the scroll button, if the fonts were smaller they would all fit.

All of this is my opinion of course :p Glad to see the site is being worked on, I like to see that its growing!

Update: I didnt read the new front page until now, I see that color changes will still be an option and the other notes. I still find the overall new layout of the forum more challenging than the previous version, but maybe thats because I got used to the old version.

Too dark. Is there a setting I can change to go to a lighter color scheme?

To be honest...not a fan of the new update. The black background with the dark red headers make it really hard to find where the page breaks are (Is there a way to change that, that im missing?). The overall new fonts make the forum site feel older, the previous Tacoma3G felt new and modern compared to this update. Also the organization of the home page on the previous site was easier to find thread posts. I would also make the MAIN header be able to fit all the categories (home, forum, resources, etc.), I couldnt find ROTM until I hit the scroll button, if the fonts were smaller they would all fit.

All of this is my opinion of course :p Glad to see the site is being worked on, I like to see that its growing!

Update: I didnt read the new front page until now, I see that color changes will still be an option and the other notes. I still find the overall new layout of the forum more challenging than the previous version, but maybe thats because I got used to the old version.
This is good feedback and I will get to replying to it. Real quick though, the regular forum homepage that we’ve always had is here: Forum

Back