• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Dual Battery Systems?

Buffa

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR AC Auto
Quicksand
Hey Troops

Very interested in seeing what anyone has done for a Dual Battery Set-Up?

Pro’s, Con’s, where the Second Battery was Located Etc Etc Etc?

Thanks, Buffa

I’m just about to get a dual battery setup too. Just started looking so I’ll be watching this thread

Upvote 0
https://www.offgrid4x4.com/products/2005-2017-toyota-tacoma-dual-battery-tray-side-by-side

This is the battery tray that I am using. You will need a Redarc BCDC charger to keep the spare battery charged correctly.
I spent alot of time researching this and then spent a bunch of money I didnt need to in order to get it to do what I needed it to do.
I could literally write a story about stuff that I researched and learned about this. Do you really want to go into that kind of detail or do you just want the
cliffnotes?

Upvote 0
https://www.offgrid4x4.com/products/2005-2017-toyota-tacoma-dual-battery-tray-side-by-side

This is the battery tray that I am using. You will need a Redarc BCDC charger to keep the spare battery charged correctly.
I spent alot of time researching this and then spent a bunch of money I didnt need to in order to get it to do what I needed it to do.
I could literally write a story about stuff that I researched and learned about this. Do you really want to go into that kind of detail or do you just want the
cliffnotes?

It's a lot of work, but a full write up on what you've learned for future reference would be a huge benefit to T3G. If you're willing to write it up, I say go for it. 👍

Upvote 0
Ive been running a dual battery setup for a few months now. Currently im just using the odyssey battery as my aux battery, I do have plans to replace the starter battery later this fall to match the aux battery, but so far no issues with the current battery setup.

OffGrid makes a great mount, I had some challenges getting it to fit for some reason but it worked out in the end! I also am using their mount for the redarc bcdc1225 system underneath the starter battery. I do have plans to change the charge from the alternator to get up to 14.7V with OVtune's new VFtuner (currently running 2.0), which will allow me to fully charge the aux battery instead of the normal oem 13.4V (not really a full charge on the aux battery).

OffGridEngineering Aluminum mounts
Odyssey Extreme Group 35
REDARC BCDC1225
Renogy Eclipse 100W Solar Panel

IMG_6553.jpg
IMG_6554.jpg

Upvote 0
I went the lazy route and bought the full off grid system. they weren't offering Redarc when I bought (been running it awhile now). interested in VF tuner after he releases 2.0 for it.

IMG_1105.jpeg

I went and purchased the upgrade to VFTuner yesterday. I'm awaiting my codes to activate. Looking forward to a few simple features to add to my build like increasing the voltage my alternator produces to 14.7 to keep my AGM battery healthy.

Upvote 0
I'm a cheapo so I installed a "Battery Doctor" isolator. I used a SDHQ Aux Battery Tray assembly with SDHQ battery hold downs for both batteries......included with tray assembly. Then pieced the rest of it together using circuit breakers, terminals, and wire that I had on hand. Going on a year and a half, running this setup. So far, so good.
20200701_190459-01.jpeg
20200701_190505-01.jpeg
20200701_190509-01.jpeg

Upvote 0
Ive been running a dual battery setup for a few months now. Currently im just using the odyssey battery as my aux battery, I do have plans to replace the starter battery later this fall to match the aux battery, but so far no issues with the current battery setup.

OffGrid makes a great mount, I had some challenges getting it to fit for some reason but it worked out in the end! I also am using their mount for the redarc bcdc1225 system underneath the starter battery. I do have plans to change the charge from the alternator to get up to 14.7V with OVtune's new VFtuner (currently running 2.0), which will allow me to fully charge the aux battery instead of the normal oem 13.4V (not really a full charge on the aux battery).
I am very interested in this. Do you have any info on it? This would make it so my main battery charges at 14.7 also.

Upvote 0
I am very interested in this. Do you have any info on it? This would make it so my main battery charges at 14.7 also.

Yep. Basically OV (Orange Virus Tuning) has released their new VFTuner software allowing the user to change many parameters of the vehicle. ECU tuning, transmission tuning, and even auxiliary items such as increasing the voltage put out by the alternator. Pretty cool stuff. I just ordered the other day and will be doing some of the changes as soon as I have the full software setup and accessible.

https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/vf

For those who already have the OVTune software n their truck, you can order at the reduced "upgrade" rate via this link.

https://www.ovtuned.com/products/vforest-tuner-for-tacoma-flash-kit-owners?variant=31765448884311

Upvote 0
Did OVTune make a difference?

Oh yeah. I had the basic OV tune when I got my gears installed and I was a little underwhelmed with the amount of change I saw with the gears. Then the 5.29 specific gear tune was released and once I installed that I saw a massive difference in performance. The factory tune, and the factory gearing OV tune are both set up to shift way too early for the 5.29s.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sorry its taking so long for the write up. I started it and some stupid shit came up. I gotta deal with this because I cant think straight right now. I will get to it as soon as I can guys. I apologize.

Upvote 0
This is what I plan on going with as well! I can't mount by the airbox anymore because I've filled that with a arb twin compressor

Seems like the best use of space. I also like the idea of putting the compressor under there. So mush dead space under the hood anyway.

-M

Upvote 0
Sorry its taking so long for the write up. I started it and some stupid shit came up. I gotta deal with this because I cant think straight right now. I will get to it as soon as I can guys. I apologize.
For what it's worth, OGE offers the complete REDARC set up you're trying to write up. I purchased the set up from them you described earlier - AGM aux battery, factory start battery, REDARC DC-DC charger, and a cable harness that you can even pay them to prep and label so all you have to do is terminate the points.

Although your write up might be the cheaper route for those who don't want to go through a turn-key vendor.

Upvote 0
I'm a cheapo so I installed a "Battery Doctor" isolator. I used a SDHQ Aux Battery Tray assembly with SDHQ battery hold downs for both batteries......included with tray assembly. Then pieced the rest of it together using circuit breakers, terminals, and wire that I had on hand. Going on a year and a half, running this setup. So far, so good.
20200701_190459-01.jpeg
20200701_190505-01.jpeg
20200701_190509-01.jpeg
Your not the only cheapo out there. I like your setup. Quick question how many amps does your alternator put out?

Upvote 0
I put a Genesis Dual Battery kit (with Dual Odyssey batteries) in my Taco a few years back. I would recommend NOT doing this. The location where this setup is mounted is not robust enough to handle the added weight. Their kit blew through the sheetmetal, knocked off my oil-filler spout, and knocked a hole in the top of my radiator. Oil was spraying everywhere and radiator fluid was flowing. This happened on the Mojave trail and after a few years of offroad abuse. Don't go dual battery...bring a small jump-start battery if you feel the need.

Upvote 0
I put a Genesis Dual Battery kit (with Dual Odyssey batteries) in my Taco a few years back. I would recommend NOT doing this. The location where this setup is mounted is not robust enough to handle the added weight. Their kit blew through the sheetmetal, knocked off my oil-filler spout, and knocked a hole in the top of my radiator. Oil was spraying everywhere and radiator fluid was flowing. This happened on the Mojave trail and after a few years of offroad abuse. Don't go dual battery...bring a small jump-start battery if you feel the need.
I run a dual battery, but my second battery is on the passenger side. I haven’t heard any bad things about it yet and hope not too.

Just curious, did you share with Genesis what happened? It may be something they want to look at and consider

Upvote 0

Oh wow, I’m glad I found this. I’d been planning to get this kit.

Upvote 0
For those of you with the redarc kit, why would you need the 14.7 alternator output? Does the redarc charger not put out the correct amount for an agm as they have stated? I understand the main battery needing the 14.7 without it etc. I hope this is not a dumb question. I am just researching that setup from off grid. Also wondering how the batteries are set up, are they both discharged at the same time or can you isolate them for a jumpstart etc.?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Not a dumb question.

So I have the Off-Grid dual battery set up as well as the Redarc BC-DC charger. You need the Redarc BC-DC charger if you are running AGM batteries because they need the 14+ volts to correctly charge the batteries. I am running 2 Odyssey Group 34R batteries. I linked them with 2 gauge oxygen free car audio wire. Literally have almost as much in wiring as I do in 1 battery. You can also accomplish the 14+ volts by purchasing the OV Tuner from Orange Virus and using a map set up that ups the voltage from the alternator. Yes, you can isolate the batteries which I have done with the Blue Sea ML-ACR. I usually have my batteries isolated unless I am charging the secondary battery.

Ive done so much research on this, if you have any questions, hit me up. I can send pics of my set up if you need. People on this forum are awesome and most can help. I started a write-up on my battery setup, but then life happened and I had to put it on pause. I will probably finish it in the next few weeks and then post it here.

If you want the Redarc BC-DC charger, let me know as I am not going to need it now due to the fact I am going to order the VFTuner probably tonight.

Upvote 0
Not a dumb question.

So I have the Off-Grid dual battery set up as well as the Redarc BC-DC charger. You need the Redarc BC-DC charger if you are running AGM batteries because they need the 14+ volts to correctly charge the batteries. I am running 2 Odyssey Group 34R batteries. I linked them with 2 gauge oxygen free car audio wire. Literally have almost as much in wiring as I do in 1 battery. You can also accomplish the 14+ volts by purchasing the OV Tuner from Orange Virus and using a map set up that ups the voltage from the alternator. Yes, you can isolate the batteries which I have done with the Blue Sea ML-ACR. I usually have my batteries isolated unless I am charging the secondary battery.

Ive done so much research on this, if you have any questions, hit me up. I can send pics of my set up if you need. People on this forum are awesome and most can help. I started a write-up on my battery setup, but then life happened and I had to put it on pause. I will probably finish it in the next few weeks and then post it here.

If you want the Redarc BC-DC charger, let me know as I am not going to need it now due to the fact I am going to order the VFTuner probably tonight.
So I also have an odyssey group 34R battery. Just one in the truck right now. With the red arc setup the auxiliary battery would be charged correctly but without the tune I would still have to charge the main with an external charger like I have been correct? Or does the redarc charge both?

Upvote 0
A great company for dual battery set ups is Off Grid engineering!

they have side by side mounting systems which are super helpful for saving space in the engine bay.

having a plug and play kit will drastically save you some time on install and look much cleaner

heres some helpful info on the kit:
  • In-Cab Management Switch with exclusive OGE plug-and-play wiring harness. The Blue Sea 2146 Contura Switch paired with custom OGE wiring harness allows for remote control operation and monitoring of your ML-ACR. Manually link (jump-start) or isolate your auxiliary battery from your drivers seat! The built-in LED's alert you to over-charge/ under-charge conditions as well as the current state of the relay (linked/ unlinked)
  • Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 amp, dual voltage sensing relay. The Blue Sea ML-ACR is the most robust smart relay on the market. It is dual voltage sensing and completely automatic. It does all the battery linking/ unlinking for you, but also features manual override for self jumpstarting and high amp draw scenarios. The ACR is marine grade, made in the USA, and has a lifetime warranty!

• ALL necessary cables, including extensions with butt connectors for factory starter and ground cables. All cables are pre-terminated with tinned copper lugs that are properly crimped. The cables are then covered in abrasion resistant braided wrap and finished with 3M adhesive lined heat shrink.

For All 3GT members I would be willing to extend a fair discount for you guys!

send me a direct message if you have any questions about the kit or want to grab one!

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 184
  • dual.jpeg
    dual.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7433_3076d1c3-94ef-46fd-a140-ce5529f76b88_grande.jpg
    IMG_7433_3076d1c3-94ef-46fd-a140-ce5529f76b88_grande.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 0
Im getting a 6" lift installed today so hopefully taco lean will be gone . Crapper thing is I already have to upgrade my front springs . Need like 650lbs springs

Upvote 0
Back