Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Access Cab
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#4,961
Hey Troops

Very interested in seeing what anyone has done for a Dual Battery Set-Up?

Pro’s, Con’s, where the Second Battery was Located Etc Etc Etc?

Thanks, Buffa

AZ_CAVALRY

✓ • Diamond
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cavalry Blue
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
I’m just about to get a dual battery setup too. Just started looking so I’ll be watching this thread

XxMagpulxX

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,041
https://www.offgrid4x4.com/products/2005-2017-toyota-tacoma-dual-battery-tray-side-by-side

This is the battery tray that I am using. You will need a Redarc BCDC charger to keep the spare battery charged correctly.
I spent alot of time researching this and then spent a bunch of money I didnt need to in order to get it to do what I needed it to do.
I could literally write a story about stuff that I researched and learned about this. Do you really want to go into that kind of detail or do you just want the
cliffnotes?

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
https://www.offgrid4x4.com/products/2005-2017-toyota-tacoma-dual-battery-tray-side-by-side

This is the battery tray that I am using. You will need a Redarc BCDC charger to keep the spare battery charged correctly.
I spent alot of time researching this and then spent a bunch of money I didnt need to in order to get it to do what I needed it to do.
I could literally write a story about stuff that I researched and learned about this. Do you really want to go into that kind of detail or do you just want the
cliffnotes?

It's a lot of work, but a full write up on what you've learned for future reference would be a huge benefit to T3G. If you're willing to write it up, I say go for it. 👍

New Holland Overland

✓ • Diamond
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Ive been running a dual battery setup for a few months now. Currently im just using the odyssey battery as my aux battery, I do have plans to replace the starter battery later this fall to match the aux battery, but so far no issues with the current battery setup.

OffGrid makes a great mount, I had some challenges getting it to fit for some reason but it worked out in the end! I also am using their mount for the redarc bcdc1225 system underneath the starter battery. I do have plans to change the charge from the alternator to get up to 14.7V with OVtune's new VFtuner (currently running 2.0), which will allow me to fully charge the aux battery instead of the normal oem 13.4V (not really a full charge on the aux battery).

OffGridEngineering Aluminum mounts
Odyssey Extreme Group 35
REDARC BCDC1225
Renogy Eclipse 100W Solar Panel

IMG_6553.jpg
IMG_6554.jpg

solscooter

✓ • Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
I went the lazy route and bought the full off grid system. they weren't offering Redarc when I bought (been running it awhile now). interested in VF tuner after he releases 2.0 for it.

IMG_1105.jpeg

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
I went the lazy route and bought the full off grid system. they weren't offering Redarc when I bought (been running it awhile now). interested in VF tuner after he releases 2.0 for it.

IMG_1105.jpeg

I went and purchased the upgrade to VFTuner yesterday. I'm awaiting my codes to activate. Looking forward to a few simple features to add to my build like increasing the voltage my alternator produces to 14.7 to keep my AGM battery healthy.

Aenriquez

✓ • Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Abel
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,024
I'm a cheapo so I installed a "Battery Doctor" isolator. I used a SDHQ Aux Battery Tray assembly with SDHQ battery hold downs for both batteries......included with tray assembly. Then pieced the rest of it together using circuit breakers, terminals, and wire that I had on hand. Going on a year and a half, running this setup. So far, so good.
20200701_190459-01.jpeg
20200701_190505-01.jpeg
20200701_190509-01.jpeg

XxMagpulxX

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,041
Ive been running a dual battery setup for a few months now. Currently im just using the odyssey battery as my aux battery, I do have plans to replace the starter battery later this fall to match the aux battery, but so far no issues with the current battery setup.

OffGrid makes a great mount, I had some challenges getting it to fit for some reason but it worked out in the end! I also am using their mount for the redarc bcdc1225 system underneath the starter battery. I do have plans to change the charge from the alternator to get up to 14.7V with OVtune's new VFtuner (currently running 2.0), which will allow me to fully charge the aux battery instead of the normal oem 13.4V (not really a full charge on the aux battery).
I am very interested in this. Do you have any info on it? This would make it so my main battery charges at 14.7 also.

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
I am very interested in this. Do you have any info on it? This would make it so my main battery charges at 14.7 also.

Yep. Basically OV (Orange Virus Tuning) has released their new VFTuner software allowing the user to change many parameters of the vehicle. ECU tuning, transmission tuning, and even auxiliary items such as increasing the voltage put out by the alternator. Pretty cool stuff. I just ordered the other day and will be doing some of the changes as soon as I have the full software setup and accessible.

https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/vf

For those who already have the OVTune software n their truck, you can order at the reduced "upgrade" rate via this link.

https://www.ovtuned.com/products/vforest-tuner-for-tacoma-flash-kit-owners?variant=31765448884311

XxMagpulxX

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,041
have you regeared your truck?

XxMagpulxX

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Color
Blazing Blue Pearl
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,041
Did OVTune make a difference?

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Did OVTune make a difference?

Oh yeah. I had the basic OV tune when I got my gears installed and I was a little underwhelmed with the amount of change I saw with the gears. Then the 5.29 specific gear tune was released and once I installed that I saw a massive difference in performance. The factory tune, and the factory gearing OV tune are both set up to shift way too early for the 5.29s.