• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Best roof racks and roof top tents?

Ikamper x cover is my fav so far, combination of tent with aluminum top with racks as well, just under 120 lbs. nice and roomy, and clean when closed. Doesn’t look like a squished sandwich
9D251360-30FC-4145-B325-88EDEE67813A.jpeg
0E7E5CDD-5E7A-460F-BA1D-6D160D3E3715.jpeg
7D37C834-D793-4996-9895-6B31FDC10BA9.jpeg
470E86D6-245B-47A5-8250-6D3FD9CF794E.jpeg
1C34D921-0060-4F42-8BA5-D2C4395813F3.jpeg

Hadn't seen this before, its kind of a cool hybrid between hard and soft RTTs

While we've enjoyed our setup immensely, we are considering upgrading. Basically to what @SDtaco has but for a long bed. Our current setup has been really nice and hasn't given us any issues, but we've decided if we're going to be doing this as much as we are we may as well have the setup we really want. At this point we just need to commit and pull the trigger.

IMG_20190802_175322.jpg

While we've enjoyed our setup immensely, we are considering upgrading. Basically to what @SDtaco has but for a long bed. Our current setup has been really nice and hasn't given us any issues, but we've decided if we're going to be doing this as much as we are we may as well have the setup we really want. At this point we just need to commit and pull the trigger.

IMG_20190802_175322.jpg

Agreed, @SDtaco setup would work awesome. It's basically what my long term goals are also just with a separate cap and hardshell setup (which I loose access to the tent from the bed/ability to stand up) to keep the stock look.

Are there any other options for access cab roof rack other then prinsu Just looking for something to mount solar panels on
Thanks

Uptopoverland has a pretty sweet looking rack. I think if I had the budget that's what I would get.

Prinsu and Smittybuilt tent. I didn't do my research for either because it seems like the top dog in roof racks is prinsu and Smittybuilt because it's cheap and reliable.

I went with the Tuff Stuff ranger overland tent. There were several factors involved in my choice.

You could say I over-research items before I choose what goes on the Taco. I spent countless hours looking at RTT company websites, online vendors, various forums, and looking at pics before I settled on this one.

I chose this particular style (there are many others on the market that look identical) because it has an awning over the ladder, which equates to dry during rain. I also like how, even if I do not use the zip-in 'room' that comes with it, I have a hard awning over the side of the truck to prep or just hang out in a chair when it unfolds to the open position.
Oh, and it comes with a zip-in room. Thought that would be good to change clothes in, hang wet things, etc. All the reasons why I purchased a ground tent with 2 rooms in it years ago. One was used for sleeping, and one for dry storage.
Many of the RTT's out there have a ladder going straight up into the zip door and that's it. Not knocking that design, but if I'm dropping some benjamins for a RTT, I'm getting the most out of what I can find, and I wanted some protection if I had to climb the ladder in rain.

Third, it's a tent. I'm not about to spend 2 or 3 large on a tent.

Finally, Tuff Stuff gives a sizeable discount to the military. Every bit helps.

Now if I could just get past the name....

Last edited:

(Note: Not my truck!)

I’m running Prinsu style rack with the iKamper Skycamp RTT. I spent the extra money because my wife wanted our two girls to be sleeping with us and I wanted the fastest set up and breakdown possible.
Super happy with the choice. I really dig the Vagabonds but that might be down the road when it’s just me the wife and the dog.
C39F3943-1591-4D4D-9D16-BA7D27096600.jpeg
B664F563-98D3-43FA-98D3-465603865C6F.jpeg
AE57B443-508C-4639-9FB2-A17C1AC3B4B6.jpeg
8A03BC2D-D6B1-4D17-803F-E245D5AFDA0F.jpeg

I have the cbi overland bars and a Tepui Ayers rtt. I love it. Fits my wife and I perfectly

I have the cbi overland bars and a Tepui Ayers rtt. I love it. Fits my wife and I perfectly
Sorry to be completely off-topic here, but congrats on being able to call her your wife Jay!

Another turn for the worst, after only 9 months of owning my CVT tent the zipper on the cover decided to break while out snow camping. Completely shredded in half for some reason. My thought was because of the freezing temps but who knows. I called CVT to see what they could do since its still in its first year. I ended up having to pay full price for a replacement. Can't wait to sell this tent.
I had the same problem with my Roam Tent cover. The zipper broke in two like that. The China brand is shit. It’s called SBB. These guys really need to change their zippers to YKK

I use the Smittybilt Overlander because it’s one of the “cheaper” options and exactly the same as the expensive ones in my opinion. You can get it on Amazon Prime too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCFKPX0/?tag=tacoma3g-20

I used to have it on the OEM roof rack but I hated the way it looked so I moved it to @KB Voodoo Fabrications bed bars that I got off @Malcolm. But there are so many mounting options now. I think it comes down to preference (where you want it, how high you want it, the design of the rack you like, etc).

281BCC1D-BEDF-4DC0-A050-D5521F0E0D71.jpeg
I think the Smittybilt is an awesome option for the price, thanks for the recommendation. Do you guys have any budget recommendations for bed racks for the Smittybilt? Long bed. Thanks in advance!

I think the Smittybilt is an awesome option for the price, thanks for the recommendation. Do you guys have any budget recommendations for bed racks for the Smittybilt? Long bed. Thanks in advance!
I think the most budget friendly way to mount the tent is to do what I did. But it’s not really a bed rack so you do lose out of the additional functionality of a full rack. Mine looked like this using $100 mounting bars from @KB Voodoo Fabrications.

DF28E664-F816-44F7-94D1-76C582D39E75.jpeg

On the subject of racks...
I thought about just getting some crossbars at bed height, but didn't want to lose cargo capability for my camping trips (I have a few large boxes), and a full height rack would have prevented me from pulling in the garage to work on mods/weather protection/etc.
Just some things to think about as you decide what option to pursue. Each of us have our reasons for what we chose - you just have to determine if your end result meets your goals.

Back