Best roof racks and roof top tents? | Page 2 | 3rd Generation Toyota Tacomas — Tacoma3G.com

Best roof racks and roof top tents?

Tacocamper

T3G Level: Gold
T3G #
I'm #

You getting the GFC? What’s your number?
#162 in line. They're building it right now, but I'm going to get it in the Spring. If I waited longer, I'd be waiting until 2020![/QUOTE]

Oh nice! I’m #184 so I’m hoping to drive out there end of March maybe early April once some of the snow has melted

Tacocamper

T3G #
Dang dude. What a headache!

Another turn for the worst, after only 9 months of owning my CVT tent the zipper on the cover decided to break while out snow camping. Completely shredded in half for some reason. My thought was because of the freezing temps but who knows. I called CVT to see what they could do since its still in its first year. I ended up having to pay full price for a replacement. Can't wait to sell this tent.

Attachments

Last edited:

SDtaco

T3G Level: Bronze
T3G Supporter
First Name
Matt Mangum
T3G #
Howdy - Somewhat new to this group. I did a ton of research and ended up with the Drifter from Vagabond Outdoors mainly because I camp with my wife and 2 year old son and wanted the insulated panels and easier access in and out. You still have plenty of room to stand inside when the bed is fully extended so you don’t have to remove panels to get in and out like the GFC. We have been out almost every weekend the last two months since I got it and can’t say enough about how well engineered this thing is!! https://vagabondoutdoors.com

Attachments

heaveho

First Name
Albert Tu
T3G #
Howdy - Somewhat new to this group. I did a ton of research and ended up with the Drifter from Vagabond Outdoors mainly because I camp with my wife and 2 year old son and wanted the insulated panels and easier access in and out. You still have plenty of room to stand inside when the bed is fully extended so you don’t have to remove panels to get in and out like the GFC. We have been out almost every weekend the last two months since I got it and can’t say enough about how well engineered this thing is!! https://vagabondoutdoors.com
Looks well made. Total GFC competitor!

Pinion

T3G Level: Silver
T3G Supporter
First Name
Drew
T3G #
Are there any other options for access cab roof rack other then prinsu Just looking for something to mount solar panels on
Thanks

heaveho

First Name
Albert Tu
T3G #
I've had the GFC (Go Fast Camper) for about 2 months now. Two things that stand out and really like.
  1. The doubling of covered cargo space. This doesn't mean double weight, but double volume for sure. I can now do short trips with 4 people
  2. Setting up the tent is easy on level ground. Literally 30 seconds.
Two things that I'll have to get used to
  1. Closing the tent. When the tent closes, the tent material is rather thick and heavy so it fills in the space between roof and sleeping platform tight. This will take practice. I notice that the material can pinch between the lid edges. I also take out one of the panels to give it more space to fit, with some material hanging into the bed cabin. It doesn't block my rear view.
  2. The locks. While they do the job, locking and unlocking takes quite a bit of precision to get the key in

tomtaylz

T3G Supporter
First Name
Tom
T3G #
Interesting to see different approaches. Those all in one camper setups are nice, they’re just not for me in the looks department

I’m early in the planning stages but I’m considering:

ARE CX HD cap w/ windoors
Aluminum based hard shell tent.
Awning

I like the HD cap from ARE because while multiple get by with leer caps, the reinforcement would give me piece of mind especially with the heavier hard shell tent and if doing sportier trails.

Aluminium based hard shell tent- quick to set up and tare down - I feel on the cap roof a soft top RTT could be more trouble than its worth in a few scenarios and would take away from one of the bigger benefits of RTTs. At bed height they would be better in this respect.
I prefer aluminum as most allow you to put some items on the top.

Haven’t done much research on awnings yet but I like the 270 degree ones.

Last edited:

Pinion

T3G Supporter
First Name
Drew
T3G #
Ikamper x cover is my fav so far, combination of tent with aluminum top with racks as well, just under 120 lbs. nice and roomy, and clean when closed. Doesn’t look like a squished sandwich
9D251360-30FC-4145-B325-88EDEE67813A.jpeg
0E7E5CDD-5E7A-460F-BA1D-6D160D3E3715.jpeg
7D37C834-D793-4996-9895-6B31FDC10BA9.jpeg
470E86D6-245B-47A5-8250-6D3FD9CF794E.jpeg
1C34D921-0060-4F42-8BA5-D2C4395813F3.jpeg

tomtaylz

T3G Supporter
First Name
Tom
T3G #

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Onyx
Event Director
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G #
While we've enjoyed our setup immensely, we are considering upgrading. Basically to what @SDtaco has but for a long bed. Our current setup has been really nice and hasn't given us any issues, but we've decided if we're going to be doing this as much as we are we may as well have the setup we really want. At this point we just need to commit and pull the trigger.

IMG_20190802_175322.jpg

tomtaylz

T3G Supporter
First Name
Tom
T3G #
While we've enjoyed our setup immensely, we are considering upgrading. Basically to what @SDtaco has but for a long bed. Our current setup has been really nice and hasn't given us any issues, but we've decided if we're going to be doing this as much as we are we may as well have the setup we really want. At this point we just need to commit and pull the trigger.

View attachment 14957
Agreed, @SDtaco setup would work awesome. It's basically what my long term goals are also just with a separate cap and hardshell setup (which I loose access to the tent from the bed/ability to stand up) to keep the stock look.

JamesR913

First Name
James
Military
Navy (Vet.)
T3G #
Are there any other options for access cab roof rack other then prinsu Just looking for something to mount solar panels on
Thanks
Uptopoverland has a pretty sweet looking rack. I think if I had the budget that's what I would get.

Thomdabeast

T3G Supporter
First Name
Thom Hemenway
T3G #
Prinsu and Smittybuilt tent. I didn't do my research for either because it seems like the top dog in roof racks is prinsu and Smittybuilt because it's cheap and reliable.

Sbr7

T3G Supporter
Military
Army
T3G #
I went with the Tuff Stuff ranger overland tent. There were several factors involved in my choice.

You could say I over-research items before I choose what goes on the Taco. I spent countless hours looking at RTT company websites, online vendors, various forums, and looking at pics before I settled on this one.

I chose this particular style (there are many others on the market that look identical) because it has an awning over the ladder, which equates to dry during rain. I also like how, even if I do not use the zip-in 'room' that comes with it, I have a hard awning over the side of the truck to prep or just hang out in a chair when it unfolds to the open position.
Oh, and it comes with a zip-in room. Thought that would be good to change clothes in, hang wet things, etc. All the reasons why I purchased a ground tent with 2 rooms in it years ago. One was used for sleeping, and one for dry storage.
Many of the RTT's out there have a ladder going straight up into the zip door and that's it. Not knocking that design, but if I'm dropping some benjamins for a RTT, I'm getting the most out of what I can find, and I wanted some protection if I had to climb the ladder in rain.

Third, it's a tent. I'm not about to spend 2 or 3 large on a tent.

Finally, Tuff Stuff gives a sizeable discount to the military. Every bit helps.

Now if I could just get past the name....

Last edited: