• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Best roof racks and roof top tents?

I use the Smittybilt Overlander because it’s one of the “cheaper” options and exactly the same as the expensive ones in my opinion. You can get it on Amazon Prime too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCFKPX0/?tag=tacoma3g-20

I used to have it on the OEM roof rack but I hated the way it looked so I moved it to @KB Voodoo Fabrications bed bars that I got off @Malcolm. But there are so many mounting options now. I think it comes down to preference (where you want it, how high you want it, the design of the rack you like, etc).

281BCC1D-BEDF-4DC0-A050-D5521F0E0D71.jpeg

Last edited:
I went with Prinsu cab rack, RCI bed rack, and CVT Mt. Shasta RTT. Will be getting rid of all this though and replacing it all with the Go Fast Camper here in about a month.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 168
There's definitely a lot of great options for Roof Racks out there currently. I would have to say from our experience that the PrinSu Roof Rack takes the win in terms of popularity. They are high-quality, sport a sleek design, and the price point is fair as well.

As @Tyler said, the Smittybilt Overlander Roof Top Tent makes an excellent choice. They are less expensive than many other options but feature similar quality. If you're looking to fit 2-3 size average adults the Overlander would make an excellent choice. You can also choose the XL version if you are looking for a more spacious option.

I would go with a Smittybuilt, Tepui, or FSR for a rooftop tent brand if I had to choose again. Would never recommend CVT to anybody due to the couple awful customer service experiences I have had with them and the zero resolutions to this day.

I would go with a Smittybuilt, Tepui, or FSR for a rooftop tent brand if I had to choose again. Would never recommend CVT to anybody due to the couple awful customer service experiences I have had with them and the zero resolutions to this day.
What happened?

Super long stories but pretty much ordered an RCI rack from them during one of the sales to get 20 percent off or something. I was contacted by them saying it was there was an issue and they couldn't honor the price (even though it was still more than ordering direct from RCI) because only tents were suppose to be on sale. They refunded my money and I ordered direct which took a bit longer but wasn't too long.

The second instance was just recently (and i'm still dealing with it somewhat) I ordered on black Friday a 79" awning for 25 percent off for when I get my GFC. I drove to pick it up which is about 500 miles round trip, got a hotel in the area and found out it had concealed damage. Emailed and left a voicemail but it was after hours. I wasn't contacted by anybody for over 10 days after sending 3 emails and calling twice. I wasn't in any rush and didn't want to keep hounding them because of the holiday season so I just rolled with it. after being promised by Bobby the owner somebody would call me and get it resolved I once again never received a call. At this point I just filed a complaint and disputed the charge on my credit card thinking this might make them actually call me back. They did call but only told me they were going to return it for me and that somebody would contact me with the logistics. Here it is almost 30 days after the charge got reversed on my card and they still haven't contacted me or anything haha if they don't contact me in the next 4 days I legally will get to keep the awning because they never fought back against my disputed charge claim. I guess its not all bad, I did get an awning for free from them but man I will never ever give them any business or suggest them to anybody ever again.

I'll be selling the tent, rack and prinsu here soon to make room for that GFC

Super long stories but pretty much ordered an RCI rack from them during one of the sales to get 20 percent off or something. I was contacted by them saying it was there was an issue and they couldn't honor the price (even though it was still more than ordering direct from RCI) because only tents were suppose to be on sale. They refunded my money and I ordered direct which took a bit longer but wasn't too long.

The second instance was just recently (and i'm still dealing with it somewhat) I ordered on black Friday a 79" awning for 25 percent off for when I get my GFC. I drove to pick it up which is about 500 miles round trip, got a hotel in the area and found out it had concealed damage. Emailed and left a voicemail but it was after hours. I wasn't contacted by anybody for over 10 days after sending 3 emails and calling twice. I wasn't in any rush and didn't want to keep hounding them because of the holiday season so I just rolled with it. after being promised by Bobby the owner somebody would call me and get it resolved I once again never received a call. At this point I just filed a complaint and disputed the charge on my credit card thinking this might make them actually call me back. They did call but only told me they were going to return it for me and that somebody would contact me with the logistics. Here it is almost 30 days after the charge got reversed on my card and they still haven't contacted me or anything haha if they don't contact me in the next 4 days I legally will get to keep the awning because they never fought back against my disputed charge claim. I guess its not all bad, I did get an awning for free from them but man I will never ever give them any business or suggest them to anybody ever again.

I'll be selling the tent, rack and prinsu here soon to make room for that GFC
Dang dude. What a headache!

Man you have no idea, I am super easy going and know how life gets ( I work retail sales) but to do the things they have done I would never support or recommend that to anybody. I'm not the only one either I put a feeler out in an overland group i'm in on facebook and few people had similar experiences with CVT. A lot of people came to their defense but those people also haven't purchased multiple things or anything at all from CVT. Two times failing miserably at customer service is too much for me!

[QUOTE="I'll be selling the tent, rack and prinsu here soon to make room for that GFC[/QUOTE]

Can't wait to get mine end of April.

I'm #
Can't wait to get mine end of April.

You getting the GFC? What’s your number?[/QUOTE]

#162 in line. They're building it right now, but I'm going to get it in the Spring. If I waited longer, I'd be waiting until 2020!

Am going to be tuning into yalls reference due to the fact im in the market for both as well and figured prinsu but not sure what the different types on the site are they pretty much look the same. But as far as roof top tents im trying to see what people recommend.

I went with GFC because it appears (because I haven't even tried it) to meet my key needs of
  1. Being lightweight / one piece (~300 lbs)
  2. Covered my bed like a shell
  3. Hard top tent (easy open and close)
I ended up being dissatisfied with the rack + tent or shell + tent solution sets, so GFC and its competitors ended up being candidates for me. I also tend not to early adopt new product, but GFC got me. My customer experience with the company so far as been satisfactory. We'll see how this product does over the long haul when I really put it to use.

It could be a bit on the pricey side for the main purposes, but it does solve a lot of problems that can be had venturing outdoors.

Last edited:
I went with GFC because it appears (because I haven't even tried it) to meet my key needs of
  1. Being lightweight / one piece (~300 lbs)
  2. Covered my bed like a shell
  3. Hard top tent (easy open and close)
I ended up being dissatisfied with the rack + tent or shell + tent solutions sets, so GFC and their competitors ended up being candidates for me. I also tend not to early adopt new product, but GFC got me. My customer experience with the company so far as been satisfactory. We'll see how this product does over the long haul when I really put it to use.

It could be a bit on the pricey side for the main purposes, but it does solve a lot of problems that can be had venturing outdoors.
GFC?

I'm #

You getting the GFC? What’s your number?

#162 in line. They're building it right now, but I'm going to get it in the Spring. If I waited longer, I'd be waiting until 2020![/QUOTE]

Oh nice! I’m #184 so I’m hoping to drive out there end of March maybe early April once some of the snow has melted

Another turn for the worst, after only 9 months of owning my CVT tent the zipper on the cover decided to break while out snow camping. Completely shredded in half for some reason. My thought was because of the freezing temps but who knows. I called CVT to see what they could do since its still in its first year. I ended up having to pay full price for a replacement. Can't wait to sell this tent.

Attachments

• IMG_2668 (1).jpg
    IMG_2668 (1).jpg
    187 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2669.jpg
    IMG_2669.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
I went with Prinsu cab rack, RCI bed rack, and CVT Mt. Shasta RTT. Will be getting rid of all this though and replacing it all with the Go Fast Camper here in about a month.
I have the prinsu can rack as well I love it lol

Attachments

• 97CB34DC-248C-47F4-9F2B-E388E19C48C5.jpeg
    97CB34DC-248C-47F4-9F2B-E388E19C48C5.jpeg
    364 KB · Views: 213
Howdy - Somewhat new to this group. I did a ton of research and ended up with the Drifter from Vagabond Outdoors mainly because I camp with my wife and 2 year old son and wanted the insulated panels and easier access in and out. You still have plenty of room to stand inside when the bed is fully extended so you don’t have to remove panels to get in and out like the GFC. We have been out almost every weekend the last two months since I got it and can’t say enough about how well engineered this thing is!! https://vagabondoutdoors.com

Attachments

• 1D27BF71-4E1A-4B0C-AF0C-8C1457CDAE18.jpeg
    1D27BF71-4E1A-4B0C-AF0C-8C1457CDAE18.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 7FB00B7F-48C2-4B8C-8237-4C9D7936CDEC.jpeg
    7FB00B7F-48C2-4B8C-8237-4C9D7936CDEC.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 213
Howdy - Somewhat new to this group. I did a ton of research and ended up with the Drifter from Vagabond Outdoors mainly because I camp with my wife and 2 year old son and wanted the insulated panels and easier access in and out. You still have plenty of room to stand inside when the bed is fully extended so you don’t have to remove panels to get in and out like the GFC. We have been out almost every weekend the last two months since I got it and can’t say enough about how well engineered this thing is!! https://vagabondoutdoors.com

Looks well made. Total GFC competitor!

Are there any other options for access cab roof rack other then prinsu Just looking for something to mount solar panels on
Thanks

I've had the GFC (Go Fast Camper) for about 2 months now. Two things that stand out and really like.
  1. The doubling of covered cargo space. This doesn't mean double weight, but double volume for sure. I can now do short trips with 4 people
  2. Setting up the tent is easy on level ground. Literally 30 seconds.
Two things that I'll have to get used to
  1. Closing the tent. When the tent closes, the tent material is rather thick and heavy so it fills in the space between roof and sleeping platform tight. This will take practice. I notice that the material can pinch between the lid edges. I also take out one of the panels to give it more space to fit, with some material hanging into the bed cabin. It doesn't block my rear view.
  2. The locks. While they do the job, locking and unlocking takes quite a bit of precision to get the key in

Interesting to see different approaches. Those all in one camper setups are nice, they’re just not for me in the looks department

I’m early in the planning stages but I’m considering:

ARE CX HD cap w/ windoors
Aluminum based hard shell tent.
Awning

I like the HD cap from ARE because while multiple get by with leer caps, the reinforcement would give me piece of mind especially with the heavier hard shell tent and if doing sportier trails.

Aluminium based hard shell tent- quick to set up and tare down - I feel on the cap roof a soft top RTT could be more trouble than its worth in a few scenarios and would take away from one of the bigger benefits of RTTs. At bed height they would be better in this respect.
I prefer aluminum as most allow you to put some items on the top.

Haven’t done much research on awnings yet but I like the 270 degree ones.

Last edited:
Ikamper x cover is my fav so far, combination of tent with aluminum top with racks as well, just under 120 lbs. nice and roomy, and clean when closed. Doesn’t look like a squished sandwich
9D251360-30FC-4145-B325-88EDEE67813A.jpeg
0E7E5CDD-5E7A-460F-BA1D-6D160D3E3715.jpeg
7D37C834-D793-4996-9895-6B31FDC10BA9.jpeg
470E86D6-245B-47A5-8250-6D3FD9CF794E.jpeg
1C34D921-0060-4F42-8BA5-D2C4395813F3.jpeg

Back