• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

JEyKGGmpTM+ipfhLoiuhXA.jpg

So I'm currently sitting on 285/75R16 and considering going to either 295/75R16 or 315/75R16 just looking for some input or to see some pictures of other tacos running those tire sizes

Attachments

• JEyKGGmpTM+ipfhLoiuhXA.jpg
    JEyKGGmpTM+ipfhLoiuhXA.jpg
    736.8 KB · Views: 111
Does putting premium gas have any benefit in our trucks? I have the 3.5l v6 engine. I know the engine is both direct and port injected but was wondering if pumping 91 or 93 would provide any benefits. Thanks!

Does putting premium gas have any benefit in our trucks? I have the 3.5l v6 engine. I know the engine is both direct and port injected but was wondering if pumping 91 or 93 would provide any benefits. Thanks!
I've ran 94bin my truck for a long time, one think I noticed is slightly and I mean slightly more economy and better on the hills but not worth the extra bucks

Dumb question...

If I put bigger tires on, that'll raise the height of the truck right?

Do we know what the largest sized tire we can fit on a stock Limited rim is without rubbing?
There are some forums that talk about it but 32" is as big as I'd go with no lift and factory offset

Why amber??

Hoping to do some lighting upgrades here soon and I see a lot of options for amber when it comes to ditch lights and bars.

why would I opt for this vs white LED? Is it advantageous in the snow or dust or just preference for some folks?

Why amber??

Hoping to do some lighting upgrades here soon and I see a lot of options for amber when it comes to ditch lights and bars.

why would I opt for this vs white LED? Is it advantageous in the snow or dust or just preference for some folks?
Amber or yellow will give you the best visibitly or all conditions and it's far less strenuous on your eyes , amber /yellow refracts far less against snow and fog etc , white is bright but reflects off objects like crazy band thr lower the kv the better the throw will be a 4700kv or 4300kv will light up further then an5600kv etc etc

What's the heaviest anyone has towed safely with a V6 Tacoma? I just picked mine up last month and I'm looking to tow a Kubota tractor (4000lbs) and trailer (2000lbs).

I know the truck is spec to be able to tow 6400-6800lbs but I didn't want to push my luck.

Side note, this is not going to be a regular occurrence. I just need the tractor for a days work.

Amber or yellow will give you the best visibitly or all conditions and it's far less strenuous on your eyes , amber /yellow refracts far less against snow and fog etc , white is bright but reflects off objects like crazy band thr lower the kv the better the throw will be a 4700kv or 4300kv will light up further then an5600kv etc etc

Thanks I figured it was something to do with that but wasn’t sure

Why amber??

Not sure about other brands, but Baja Designs have interchangeable lenses to switch between amber and white, and even to different throw patterns. This way, you're not stuck with one color.

Is there a way to mount to the factory bed rails without removing my retrax tonneau cover brackets?

It is mounted to the bed rails with a piece slid in from the end.
And you want to add various brackets to the the bed rail without making a huge ordeal on removing items , ok sorry I misread question you would want to use T nut that's thin that is slightly undersize on the length so you can simple place in horizontally and twist vertical
15FA3538_2__edited_800x.jpg

Like this and should be fine , if it's some heavier duty items I'd remove mount and put a the proper thick nut in . Hope this helped

Are there required mud flap lengths for certain tires? Buddy was telling me I should look into it, but I couldn't tell if he was BSing or not.
Follow up, any recommendations for length or size? Running 35x12.5s with a 6" lift.

Are there required mud flap lengths for certain tires? Buddy was telling me I should look into it, but I couldn't tell if he was BSing or not.
Follow up, any recommendations for length or size? Running 35x12.5s with a 6" lift.
I don’t think states have a particular law about that besides for Semi’s and dump trucks atleast not that I have heard of. I know Australia is strict about it though. The biggest thing I can think of getting god for is tires sticking out past the fender can get you a ticket but that’s rare.

There are requirements of length of mudflaps they do not go by tire size , they go by how far off the ground and it will vary country to country, state to state . You will have to look into your states requirements regarding that , but it's one of those things you may never be ticketed for in your life

Screenshot_20191216-180440_Chrome.jpg

https://rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r714/r714-160.htm#T11

This is the current Utah requirements ofcourse it changes depending where you live as noted before , every country and state has there own rules that we must abid to as best and closely as possible , it's always good to read your local requirements and to be familiar with them incase trouble with the law arises.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for youtube channels or places to find good, easy to follow, install tutorials? Just picked up a @CaliRaisedLED roof rack and I'll be getting sliders next month and I don't want to pay $500+ for install.

Any recommendations for youtube channels or places to find good, easy to follow, install tutorials? Just picked up a @CaliRaisedLED roof rack and I'll be getting sliders next month and I don't want to pay $500+ for install.
I think both @Rob Daman and @Jesse Rizo have youtube channels with tons of install videos. Maybe they can steer you in the right direction.

I have a prinsu rack install as well as slider install but those vary due to fabricator.

I think both @Rob Daman and @Jesse Rizo have youtube channels with tons of install videos. Maybe they can steer you in the right direction.

Hey guys, so I plan on upgrading my front suspension.. Problem being I already have a leveling kit installed. My question is: would it be bad to use a 0”•-2” Fox coil over in conjunction with the leveling kit spacer? If so, would my best option be to get a 3” coil over to keep the same ride height I currently have so that I can still fit my 33” tires?

What's the heaviest anyone has towed safely with a V6 Tacoma? I just picked mine up last month and I'm looking to tow a Kubota tractor (4000lbs) and trailer (2000lbs).

I know the truck is spec to be able to tow 6400-6800lbs but I didn't want to push my luck.

Side note, this is not going to be a regular occurrence. I just need the tractor for a days work.
Have a look at this video from @Victory4x4.

View: https://youtu.be/HKMJdwJWggI

Hey guys, so I plan on upgrading my front suspension.. Problem being I already have a leveling kit installed. My question is: would it be bad to use a 0”•-2” Fox coil over in conjunction with the leveling kit spacer? If so, would my best option be to get a 3” coil over to keep the same ride height I currently have so that I can still fit my 33” tires?
I wouldn’t necessarily be bad. It’s just usually recommended to “if you’re gonna do it, do it right” with this because the 3” coil over will give you more travel and possibly a better ride. The leveling spacer, while not common, could eventually start to crack or dry rot. I know the leveling spacers in my wife’s Jeep JK that I installed in 2013 have seen better days at this point.

I have a priNsu rack install it may not be the same since it’s different manufacture but you can possibly atleast follow it to get a idea

I wouldn’t necessarily be bad. It’s just usually recommended to “if you’re gonna do it, do it right” with this because the 3” coil over will give you more travel and possibly a better ride. The leveling spacer, while not common, could eventually start to crack or dry rot. I know the leveling spacers in my wife’s Jeep JK that I installed in 2013 have seen better days at this point.
Sweet. Thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll go with the 3” coil over then. It would be a real inconvenience if one of the spacers were to crack eventually. Though spacers are relatively cheap, I’d rather not even have to worry about it

Sweet. Thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll go with the 3” coil over then. It would be a real inconvenience if one of the spacers were to crack eventually. Though spacers are relatively cheap, I’d rather not even have to worry about it
Yup. You’ll have a much more robust system this way.

Looking to get my recovery kit taken care of. Is there a difference between the $100+ tread boards and the $30 ones besides price? Any recommended brands?

Back