• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Reference Ask a beginner question, get a serious answer!

I'm new to the Tacoma world and off-roading. I recently traded in my 2015 Civic Si for a 2019 Tacoma TRD 4x4 (so I would say it was a big upgrade for me). Installs so far are: Prinsu rack, OEM short bed mat, OEM Mud Flaps, TRD aftermarket pro grille with garnish, predator steps (planning to upgrade to sliders soon), DDM LED exterior lights all around, and August 17th I'll be getting the 6112/5160 Bilstein setup, method MR701's on Falken AT3W 275/70/17, and ARB Twin Air compressor installed at ORW. I'm not trying to go to crazy off-roading, so I went with the 6112/5160s setup which was also recommended from sales rep at ORW. I just wanted the comfort and off-road. What do you guys think about my setup so far? I'll post pics up soon, I'm currently out to sea. HOOYAH!

Last edited:
I'm new to the Tacoma world and off-roading. I recently traded in my 2015 Civic Si for a 2019 Tacoma TRD 4x4 (so I would say it was a big upgrade for me). Installs so far are: Prinsu rack, OEM short bed mat, OEM Mud Flaps, TRD aftermarket pro grille with garnish, predator steps (planning to upgrade to sliders soon), DDM LED exterior lights all around, and August 17th I'll be getting the 6112/5160 Bilstein setup, method MR701's on Falken AT3W 275/70/17, and ARB Twin Air compressor installed at ORW. I'm not trying to go to crazy off-roading, so I went with the 6112/5160s setup which was also recommended from sales rep at ORW. I just wanted the comfort and off-road. What do you guys think about my setup so far? I'll post pics up soon, I'm currently out to sea. HOOYAH!
Sounds like a decent setup
I'd go with a 255/75/17
Pretty much the same just a tad narrower

So, I've been lurking around this site for a couple of weeks now. Hella good info! I'm a complete noob when it comes to all things off-road (past cars were a civic Si, mazdaspeed3 and the like). I wanted a truck for hauling light, mainly my bikes. Went for a mtb camping trip, fell in love with taking the roads less traveled and now i'm here...

Initially, i wanted to get a bedrack (KBVoodoo) and a RTT (SmittyBilt) for future trips. After reading a boatload of posts on here, people suggest getting a beefier leaf pack when adding weight to the bed which led me down the suspension rabbit hole.

So my question is, if i plan on slapping on a rack, rtt, bikes and whatever camping gear i take with me (roughly 200-300lbs, maybe a tad more) for occasional camping trips, would a leaf pack / AAL be necessary?

If i were to lift the truck i would most likely go with Bilstein 5100's all around, OME 888's, light race UCA's, and then i'm stuck at whether i should get a new leaf pack or go with AAL and at what point would i need to extend brake lines / diff drop if doing so?

Again, i don't plan on hauling much besides the above mentioned. The truck is my daily and is mainly city driven (unfortunately) so i'm hoping i could get away without any suspension mods for my needs.

I apologize for the long f***ing post, but i wanted to add as much detail as possible to get the best answer possible.

Thanks in advance and i hope one day my rig can look as dirt nasty as many of yours do!

So, I've been lurking around this site for a couple of weeks now. Hella good info! I'm a complete noob when it comes to all things off-road (past cars were a civic Si, mazdaspeed3 and the like). I wanted a truck for hauling light, mainly my bikes. Went for a mtb camping trip, fell in love with taking the roads less traveled and now i'm here...

Initially, i wanted to get a bedrack (KBVoodoo) and a RTT (SmittyBilt) for future trips. After reading a boatload of posts on here, people suggest getting a beefier leaf pack when adding weight to the bed which led me down the suspension rabbit hole.

So my question is, if i plan on slapping on a rack, rtt, bikes and whatever camping gear i take with me (roughly 200-300lbs, maybe a tad more) for occasional camping trips, would a leaf pack / AAL be necessary?

If i were to lift the truck i would most likely go with Bilstein 5100's all around, OME 888's, light race UCA's, and then i'm stuck at whether i should get a new leaf pack or go with AAL and at what point would i need to extend brake lines / diff drop if doing so?

Again, i don't plan on hauling much besides the above mentioned. The truck is my daily and is mainly city driven (unfortunately) so i'm hoping i could get away without any suspension mods for my needs.

I apologize for the long f***ing post, but i wanted to add as much detail as possible to get the best answer possible.

Thanks in advance and i hope one day my rig can look as dirt nasty as many of yours do!
If you only doing occasional trips and light light dirt roads and your off about doing a suspension then I suggest airbags in the back (if you plan on taking the tent and stuff off on a regular basis) if you plan on leaving it on full time then a AAL or a better leaf pack would be best , dont so diff drop extended brake lines would be advised 3" and up of lift

If you only doing occasional trips and light light dirt roads and your off about doing a suspension then I suggest airbags in the back (if you plan on taking the tent and stuff off on a regular basis) if you plan on leaving it on full time then a AAL or a better leaf pack would be best , dont so diff drop extended brake lines would be advised 3" and up of lift

Yea i would most likely be removing the rack and tent after trips.

I was looking at this kit from Headstrong (https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p402/Coil/Bilstein_5100_Kit_w/_Dakars_(HS16BK-1-Dakar).html#), so the extended brake lines and OME carrier bearing drop bracket would be unnecessary with this kit?

Yea i would most likely be removing the rack and tent after trips.

I was looking at this kit from Headstrong (https://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/p402/Coil/Bilstein_5100_Kit_w/_Dakars_(HS16BK-1-Dakar).html#), so the extended brake lines and OME carrier bearing drop bracket would be unnecessary with this kit?
If you removing the weight then airbags are the best bet air them up when you have the weight on for trips and air down when you take everything off
The kit in you link is fine a bit on the pricey end off the top of my head as stated the medium leafs will give you 2" of lift with zero weight on the back thus you will have some slight sag just a tiny

I talked to my friend about your query. He said that you would be able to tell where the stickers were...especailly when its wet. He said when its dry and clean, you would most likely need to be looking for it to see it, but if its dirty or wet, easily noticeable. Hope that helps somehow.

That does, thank you! Will order black replacements so it’s at least black on black instead.

Hey guys recently got a Tacoma TRD OR 4x2.

First time driving a truck. How capable is this baby of off roading in California? I know its not a 4x4 so i'm effed in mud etc. But lets say for example could I do the Mojave Road?

First time driving a truck. How capable is this baby of off roading in California? I know its not a 4x4 so i'm effed in mud etc. But lets say for example could I do the Mojave Road?
You should be able to do lots of trails in the 4x2. Any of the fire roads will be totally doable. You could even do cleghorn, just stay on the main trail. I've never done Mojave Road, but looking at it first glance I would imagine it's doable. Checkout this app called All Trails. You can filter by Off-Road Driving trails and anything rated easy you should be able to do.

You should be able to do lots of trails in the 4x2. Any of the fire roads will be totally doable. You could even do cleghorn, just stay on the main trail. I've never done Mojave Road, but looking at it first glance I would imagine it's doable. Checkout this app called All Trails. You can filter by Off-Road Driving trails and anything rated easy you should be able to do.

heck yeah! Thanks so much man!

I've seen tons of thread about calibrating the speedometer when you get larger tires, but nothing about the odometer. How does one calibrate an odometer when changing to larger diameter tires?

I've seen tons of thread about calibrating the speedometer when you get larger tires, but nothing about the odometer. How does one calibrate an odometer when changing to larger diameter tires?
I dont think there is a known way the computer is creating the reading off preset tires diameter some how you would have to change that maybe the dealer can , I doubt it would be off by much anyways ,do a trip with you phoned GPS and follow the exact route reset your trip and see how big the difference is then just keep a metal note:whistle:

I dont think there is a known way the computer is creating the reading off preset tires diameter some how you would have to change that maybe the dealer can , I doubt it would be off by much anyways ,do a trip with you phoned GPS and follow the exact route reset your trip and see how big the difference is then just keep a metal note:whistle:

Sure, but can't that small amount really add up over time (say, 200k miles for example)? Also, isn't an inaccurate odometer kind of a big deal for maintenance, insurance, and selling purposes?

There’s something you can buy that gets plugged in somewhere or soldered in and stays in that will recalibrate the speedo, I looked around for a bit on my break at work but wasn’t able to find it. Not 100% sure if that’s how it worked though I think so

Sure, but can't that small amount really add up over time (say, 200k miles for example)? Also, isn't an inaccurate odometer kind of a big deal for maintenance, insurance, and selling purposes?

Just as an FYI. I asked the local dealer about recalibrating for larger tire sizes on the trucks they lift and sale on their lot. They said they just give the buyer a chart that tells them how far off it is.

I have 285/75/17’s on mine and when I bring it in for service, they just go off what’s shown on the odometer.

The speedo reads driveline speed or trans output speed, when a calibrator is installed and calibrated correctly it adjusts the drive line speed to compensate for the different tire sizes. The odometer will read the correct revolutions if the speedo is reading the correct speeds. In other words if the speedo input is adjusted, the odometer will read the same calibrated adjustment.

When rotating wheels and tires, does the computer need to be “told” where the wheel was relocated to? Or does it figure it out by proximity?

Av2wd may be able to do the Mojave road. I did most all of it in 2wd. The one spot I would avoid is the dry lake bed where the travelers monument is. If that's wet, you'd be in trouble. Should probably also avoid the water crossing on the west end, but that's kind of obvious. There's other areas of softer sand that you would possibly get stuck in if you weren't running it pre-runner style. Now that I think about it, it might not be worth it in a 2wd. Haha

Newb question. In 4WD is the ABS and Air Bags disabled? Hate to come off a jump and have the bags deploy or full brake lock sliding down a hill, and have the brake pedal pulsating.

Newb question. In 4WD is the ABS and Air Bags disabled? Hate to come off a jump and have the bags deploy or full brake lock sliding down a hill, and have the brake pedal pulsating.
Your airbags dont disable , and I think abs is enabled until 4lo I believe dont know

Av2wd may be able to do the Mojave road. I did most all of it in 2wd. The one spot I would avoid is the dry lake bed where the travelers monument is. If that's wet, you'd be in trouble. Should probably also avoid the water crossing on the west end, but that's kind of obvious. There's other areas of softer sand that you would possibly get stuck in if you weren't running it pre-runner style. Now that I think about it, it might not be worth it in a 2wd. Haha

HAHA thank you. Do you know of any easy routes I can hit up in so-cal?

HAHA thank you. Do you know of any easy routes I can hit up in so-cal?

Most of the roads in Big Bear/San Bernardino National Forest are pretty awesome and 2wd friendly.

Hi everyone, had a question regarding the rubber seals that run along the top of the roof.. while going through a car wash, they came loose so I bought some gorilla glue to stick it back into the grooves.. My question is, will this become an issue in the future in regards to water leaks/rusting? I have a 2017 TRD OR SB

Hi everyone, had a question regarding the rubber seals that run along the top of the roof.. while going through a car wash, they came loose so I bought some gorilla glue to stick it back into the grooves.. My question is, will this become an issue in the future in regards to water leaks/rusting? I have a 2017 TRD OR SB
No its sealed underneath that trim is just for aesthetics

Anyone know the thread where I can post a video of my truck that’s making a weird noise I need help figuring out what’s causing it

I'm new to Tacoma's but I have a 2019. I do have a cubby behind my power outlet. Are you saying there was a bigger one that was replaced with the smaller one I have?

Just thought I would ask in case a pic of my bed would help.

I just bought a 2019, and I don't have any storage compartment in the bed on the driver side, only on the passenger side ahead of the power outlet. I assume by the question, that earlier models had a storage compartment on the driver side? Now I feel cheated. :(

I just bought a 2019, and I don't have any storage compartment in the bed on the driver side, only on the passenger side ahead of the power outlet. I assume by the question, that earlier models had a storage compartment on the driver side? Now I feel cheated. :(
There is s cubby i have one it's pretty so nice fits everything......jokes but you can buy on and outfit in easy

Back