• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

3rd Gen Front Bumper Mega Thread

Awesome thread @Mr. Nobody , gave me an opportunity to look at most bumpers I've seen at 1 time... for me I think I will look more at the CBI Stealth. Pretty clean looking, IMO.

I ripped off half my rear bumper this past weekend and need to look for those too. Did you make the same thread for rear bumpers? I couldn't find, but still may be there.

Awesome thread @Mr. Nobody , gave me an opportunity to look at most bumpers I've seen at 1 time... for me I think I will look more at the CBI Stealth. Pretty clean looking, IMO.

I ripped off half my rear bumper this past weekend and need to look for those too. Did you make the same thread for rear bumpers? I couldn't find, but still may be there.

I have not done the rear bumper thread yet. Need to get to that when I get a chance. This one itself needs to be updated anyhow. There's definitely a few more options on the market now that need to be included.

Guess there is this thread:
Pretty good list

that sos bumper is sweet. Can’t find it on their site, very interested though

Last edited:
This thread is awesome. Wish I would have seen it before I pulled the trigger on the ARB but I'm really happy with the bumper. Took 7 hours at home to install. Paced back and forth apologizing to my truck before I tore into the plastics with a multi tool. But, in the end, it looks great and I feel better knowing it could turn a deer inside out if it had to. @Mr. Nobody

Attachments

• 20191030_231355.jpg
    20191030_231355.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 180
Screenshot_20191202-145137(1).png

I personally went with the Bruteforce Hybrid bumper. (Not my truck shown, from their IG page) but with a starting price of $800 can't beat it. 4-6 more weeks until I get mine! Can't wait

Screenshot_20191202-145137(1).png

I personally went with the Bruteforce Hybrid bumper. (Not my truck shown, from their IG page) but with a starting price of $800 can't beat it. 4-6 more weeks until I get mine! Can't wait

Definitely post pics when you do get it. There aren't enough photos of it out there and it's a great looking bumper.

This thread is awesome. Wish I would have seen it before I pulled the trigger on the ARB but I'm really happy with the bumper. Took 7 hours at home to install. Paced back and forth apologizing to my truck before I tore into the plastics with a multi tool. But, in the end, it looks great and I feel better knowing it could turn a deer inside out if it had to. @Mr. Nobody
Honestly, that was a great choice in bumper. They're really well made and fit the lines of the truck perfectly. I considered getting one myself.

Dangit, apparently I'm the only person that wants a receiver in my front bumper instead of a winch mount and as far as I can tell NO ONE offers that option.

Dangit, apparently I'm the only person that wants a receiver in my front bumper instead of a winch mount and as far as I can tell NO ONE offers that option.
I've seen it, but they must be custom. I wonder how hard it would be for a metal shop to add one. Probably tricky since most bumpers are very slanted at the bottom.

Just curious, what do you need it for?

I've seen it, but they must be custom. I wonder how hard it would be for a metal shop to add one. Probably tricky since most bumpers are very slanted at the bottom.

Just curious, what do you need it for?

Primarily because I like to run a receiver mounted winch, I need to pull myself both into and out of trouble. I live in a place with high property crime and my Taco is my daily so I'd rather run without the winch when I don't need to. I've also run bike racks off the front and moved trailers that way.

Primarily because I like to run a receiver mounted winch, I need to pull myself both into and out of trouble. I live in a place with high property crime and my Taco is my daily so I'd rather run without the winch when I don't need to. I've also run bike racks off the front and moved trailers that way.
Makes sense about moving the winch around. I wonder if you can email a bumper manufacturer and have them custom make one. I know @Relentless Fabrication has done some custom requests for other things.

Makes sense about moving the winch around. I wonder if you can email a bumper manufacturer and have them custom make one. I know @Relentless Fabrication has done some custom requests for other things.

Maybe. I need to take a look at some in person, it might just be a matter of welding a long chunk of square stock to the winch plate with some bracers. I'd hate for it to go catastrophically wrong though because I guarantee it would be at the worst possible time ;)

Maybe. I need to take a look at some in person, it might just be a matter of welding a long chunk of square stock to the winch plate with some bracers. I'd hate for it to go catastrophically wrong though because I guarantee it would be at the worst possible time ;)
We've done a couple in the past. Sorry at this point we are no longer taking custom orders.

I'd like to make a few suggestions as to winching and putting it in the front or the back. It's a PITA to move the winch around when offroad. Especially if you got stuck in a way you really couldn't put the winch in the receiver easily. The # of times a rear pull would be needed in lieu of a front not working in my experience is very slim like less than 1%. Lastly a receiver mounted winch is just not as secure or safe in recovery as one that is permanently mounted.

We've done a couple in the past. Sorry at this point we are no longer taking custom orders.

I'd like to make a few suggestions as to winching and putting it in the front or the back. It's a PITA to move the winch around when offroad. Especially if you got stuck in a way you really couldn't put the winch in the receiver easily. The # of times a rear pull would be needed in lieu of a front not working in my experience is very slim like less than 1%. Lastly a receiver mounted winch is just not as secure or safe in recovery as one that is permanently mounted.

That's fine, I usually like to source my parts locally in either case to save on shipping.

As to the winching...my experience differs from yours. Maybe that has to do with the differences in the physical landscape between the SE and NW. Or maybe it's a cultural thing reflected in winching methods. I know the Australians do off-road in a totally alien way to what I normally see.

That's fine, I usually like to source my parts locally in either case to save on shipping.

As to the winching...my experience differs from yours. Maybe that has to do with the differences in the physical landscape between the SE and NW. Or maybe it's a cultural thing reflected in winching methods. I know the Australians do off-road in a totally alien way to what I normally see.
I don't think it's a difference in the landscape but maybe where you are offroading, PNW has some pretty gnarly areas very similar to us. You may not be hitting the trails, obstacles, and serious offroading that I or others do.

Call up coastal fab see if they'll make you one it would be a WIY type of deal, they are out of OR or WA.

I don't think it's a difference in the landscape but maybe where you are offroading, PNW has some pretty gnarly areas very similar to us. You may not be hitting the trails, obstacles, and serious offroading that I or others do.

Call up coastal fab see if they'll make you one it would be a WIY type of deal, they are out of OR or WA.

That must be it. I'm just not hardcore enough. :rolleyes:

Great writeup with tons of pics to help you choose from! Nicely done.

I went with the SSO Slimline stage 1 bumper as it has the least amount of painted plastic to cut from the bumper and looks like it's supposed to be there. (almost looks stock!). I'll take a picture once the bumper arrives and we've mounted it all up. Can't wait

In heavy snow, or stuck situations, the best way to remove a vehicle is generally the way in which it got there. A rear tug is great, especially when there is no rig behind you to pull. Definitely different needs based off scenario.

When you are looking at places to make you a custom front like that, I may suggest to make sure the receiver is as close to the frame horns as possible, and centered in the mounts. Start sticking that winch further and further out, those frame horns will give way, especially in off angle pulls. The winch sitting too high or too low can change the leverage acting on the mounts and create issues on its own there as well. We had some requests for what you are asking for, and turned down, simply because to use a receiver mounted winch cradle, the winch ends up super far from the mounting surface, and it creates a lot of headache and issues for stress loading. HTH and you are able to find what you are looking for. You PNW boys get a ton of that great snow to play in. Hoping to make it up there one winter to enjoy.

Back