• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

2021 Midnight Black SR build

Aven2rus

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Reaction score
2021 SR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
Started with installation of a Skyjacker 3" Coilover kit with A-Arms and their 2" Rear Leaf Springs. Had this done at the Dealership before I picked it up. First kit i 30 years I did not do myself and I have done 40+ kits ranging from every Jeep to Tundra and Dodge 1500's. The dealership Koch 33 sells lifted Toyotas off the lot so worked a del to have them do the installation. Kit includes diff drop, sway bar drop, upper a-arms, M95 monotube rear shocks, Fox coilovers and Rear Leaf springs. I decided to swap in Fox rear shocks for no other reason than to match the front set-up. Much more to come as parts come in.

Wheels are here waiting on tires. Hard to look at on those stock steelies! This the bare bones Tacoma SR with only options being Door sill guards and door edge protectors.

626384296.jpg
626371451.jpg
626371476.jpg

Last edited:
This truck has the potential to be very sexy and you’re headed the right direction for sure. Welcome to the forum.

Nice rig.
Look forward to the rest of the SR build

Welcome aboard.

Yes, uses Fox Coilovers. There is another version with A-Arms and all that uses a new strut. It is a lot less expensive and will function the same. It uses a Greasable Heavy Duty Ball Joint over the uni-ball found in some, my preferance.

Swapped in the Fox Shocks. Not that the M95 Monotubes were an issue but wanted the match to front coilover.

Going to paint the leaf springs with POR-15 this weekend. The always get beatup in shipping and with the chemicals they put down on the roads here without they get ugly after a winter.

20201119_091351.jpg

Always like the old school grill Toyota used on the Pro and swapped it out along with a set of Rigid driving lights. Yea I could not resist the tri-color doodad, promise that will be the last of it.

20201119_091500.jpg

First trip to get gas for the Polaris and realized a rubber mat was in order. Found this Smartliner relatively inexpensive on eBay. Only review I found bad was it holds water with the raised edge but liked it for the opening at the tie downs. I ordered a 1/2" hole punch to punch holes at the front in line with the OEM drains in bed.

20201119_091430.jpg

Once the tires arrive, Milestar Patagonia 295/70/R17 (34x12R17) will wrap these Raceline Wheels (17x8.5 with 4.75" BS).
Running the metric size through my tire calculator shows they are bit generous in the inch equivalent as it calculates to:

HEIGHT=
33.26​
WIDTH=
11.614​

So only 1/4" bigger then a 33". The kit calls for a 5" BS with a 33x11.5 so hopeful this works out. If not I have Cab Mount Chop here ready to go.

Resized_20201113_113420.jpeg

Had this IDrive here before I picked up the truck. After test driving one I felt it could use bump in the throttle response.

20201119_091532.jpg

The site will not show this to fit 2016-2021 (shows up for 2005 2015) but is a fit and is what I used.

The issue is the rear spring does not provide as much lift in the newer models. Skyjacker has a new spring coming soon. Truck sits level so adding the 1 1/4" blocks with U-Bolts to put some rake in it.

Same with the Strut replacement kit

Last edited:
At installation of the lift the "Upper A-Arm Bolt" that any kit is going to instruct to manipulate/damage the pinch weld that obstructs removal in that direction.

I was pleased to know the dealer cuts the bolt and insert a new bolt rather than break paint on the pinch welded area.

Some will jump in and say they have seen them slide out because of the angle. This could only be true if it was not properly torqued or the proper nut/washer combonation was not used. If you still have concerns use Loctite. This dealer installs 50+ kits a year with no issue.

Can be purchased at the dealership.

AArm Bolt.jpg

Last edited:
Took measurement s on the truck today and found it was set-up 1/2" shorter on the left side than the right. Also was a 1 1/2" rake at the rocker from the front of doors to back.

Preload was for to low as well so adjusted the coilovers bring it up and reduce the rake to 1/4". That will change slightly when the Bumper and Winch are installed and will be adjusted again accordingly. Painter tape is your friend here to keep track.

20201119_140424.jpg

Last edited:
Started with installation of a Skyjacker 3" Coilover kit with A-Arms and their 2" Rear Leaf Springs. Had this done at the Dealership before I picked it up. First kit i 30 years I did not do myself and I have done 40+ kits ranging from every Jeep to Tundra and Dodge 1500's. The dealership Koch 33 sells lifted Toyotas off the lot so worked a del to have them do the installation. Kit includes diff drop, sway bar drop, upper a-arms, M95 monotube rear shocks, Fox coilovers and Rear Leaf springs. I decided to swap in Fox rear shocks for no other reason than to match the front set-up. Much more to come as parts come in.

Wheels are here waiting on tires. Hard to look at on those stock steelies! This the bare bones Tacoma SR with only options being Door sill guards and door edge protectors.

626384296.jpg
626371451.jpg
626371476.jpg
I just bought the same truck on Monday. Good luck with it .

So last nights project I put this in there. Accessorides remote start. Even with installing the hood switch I was done in an hour and it started as it should.

Only one wire to cut into that wire and location could not be better noted in the instructions.

Resized_20201124_174436(1).jpeg

Yes easy to push the single wire through the firewall. Same location I ran the fog light switch through and same split loom for most of the path to it.

Working through the comfort items waiting on winch, bumpers, tires........

Installed the Course Motorsports phone mount. Ran a power wire while the dash was out.

Only complaint is when I placed it on my in home wireless charger it does not work with the metal plate on the back of the case.
20201124_091422.jpg
20201124_091523 (1).jpg

This clip had me confused and the instructions were vague. Took a while but figured it out. Pull the plastic retainer and replace.

20201126_111515 (1).jpg
20201126_113817.jpg

Last edited:
More comfort items "Seatjackers". Both seats. I bought rear kit and split it between the seats, two smaller spacers stacked equal the largest one,. You will need to purchase extra two bolts form a hardware store as it is intend as a single seat kit.

Makes a big difference in comfort and sight over the hood. Quality is excellent. I bought the optional molle plate. Going to mount my Maglite there as well as the holster for my conceal carry.
Resized_20201120_082241 (1).jpeg
Resized_20201125_104222 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Still waiting on tires, they say tomorrow so keeping busy until then. Applied the custom decals I had made.

Working for Skyjacker 14 years with a long list of builds I am always looking for a subtle way to incorporate the brand for a nice clean look. My wife is a graphic artist and did the artwork for these. Certain it will have Tacoma fans doing a double take.

20201207_162501.jpg
20201119_091500.jpg

Last edited:
That is a load/cargo bar for keeping loads in place. Great for gas can and propane refill runs.

Ratchets like a ratchet strap to tighten in place. Painted it black.

Find it here

Back