2021 Midnight Black SR build

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Aven2rus

= II • Bronze
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
#7,401
Started with installation of a Skyjacker 3" Coilover kit with A-Arms and their 2" Rear Leaf Springs. Had this done at the Dealership before I picked it up. First kit i 30 years I did not do myself and I have done 40+ kits ranging from every Jeep to Tundra and Dodge 1500's. The dealership Koch 33 sells lifted Toyotas off the lot so worked a del to have them do the installation. Kit includes diff drop, sway bar drop, upper a-arms, M95 monotube rear shocks, Fox coilovers and Rear Leaf springs. I decided to swap in Fox rear shocks for no other reason than to match the front set-up. Much more to come as parts come in.

Wheels are here waiting on tires. Hard to look at on those stock steelies! This the bare bones Tacoma SR with only options being Door sill guards and door edge protectors.

626384296.jpg
626371451.jpg
626371476.jpg

Last edited:

Tacomadad18

= VII • Aficionado
T3G Supporter
First Name
Jason
Military
Army
T3G Member
#2,122
Welcome to Tacoma3g!

Love seeing brand new trucks getting work done

Aven2rus

= II • Bronze
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
#7,401
Yes, uses Fox Coilovers. There is another version with A-Arms and all that uses a new strut. It is a lot less expensive and will function the same. It uses a Greasable Heavy Duty Ball Joint over the uni-ball found in some, my preferance.

Aven2rus

= II • Bronze
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
#7,401
Swapped in the Fox Shocks. Not that the M95 Monotubes were an issue but wanted the match to front coilover.

Going to paint the leaf springs with POR-15 this weekend. The always get beatup in shipping and with the chemicals they put down on the roads here without they get ugly after a winter.

20201119_091351.jpg

Aven2rus

= II • Bronze
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
#7,401
Always like the old school grill Toyota used on the Pro and swapped it out along with a set of Rigid driving lights. Yea I could not resist the tri-color doodad, promise that will be the last of it.

20201119_091500.jpg

Aven2rus

= II • Bronze
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
#7,401
First trip to get gas for the Polaris and realized a rubber mat was in order. Found this Smartliner relatively inexpensive on eBay. Only review I found bad was it holds water with the raised edge but liked it for the opening at the tie downs. I ordered a 1/2" hole punch to punch holes at the front in line with the OEM drains in bed.

20201119_091430.jpg

Aven2rus

= II • Bronze
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
#7,401
Once the tires arrive, Milestar Patagonia 295/70/R17 (34x12R17) will wrap these Raceline Wheels (17x8.5 with 4.75" BS).
Running the metric size through my tire calculator shows they are bit generous in the inch equivalent as it calculates to:

HEIGHT=
33.26​
WIDTH=
11.614​

So only 1/4" bigger then a 33". The kit calls for a 5" BS with a 33x11.5 so hopeful this works out. If not I have Cab Mount Chop here ready to go.

Resized_20201113_113420.jpeg

Aven2rus

= II • Bronze
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
#7,401
Had this IDrive here before I picked up the truck. After test driving one I felt it could use bump in the throttle response.

20201119_091532.jpg

Aven2rus

= II • Bronze
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
#7,401
The site will not show this to fit 2016-2021 (shows up for 2005 2015) but is a fit and is what I used.

The issue is the rear spring does not provide as much lift in the newer models. Truck sits level so adding the tapered rear blocks #RB2200 (pair) with U-Bolts #916X212X834U qty (4) to put some rake in it.

Same with the Strut replacement kit

Last edited:

Aven2rus

= II • Bronze
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
#7,401
Took measurement s on the truck today and found it was set-up 1/2" shorter on the left side than the right. Also was a 1 1/2" rake at the rocker from the front of doors to back.

Preload was for to low as well so adjusted the coilovers bring it up and reduce the rake to 1/4". That will change slightly when the Fab Fours hidden mount and Warn winch. Painter tape is your friend here to keep track

Aven2rus

= II • Bronze
First Name
Tom
T3G Member
#7,401
Took measurement s on the truck and found it was set-up 1/2" shorter on the left side than the right. Also was a 1 1/2" rake at the rocker from the front of doors to back.

Preload was for to low as well so adjusted the coilovers bring it up and reduce the rake to 1/4". That will change slightly when the Fab Fours hidden mount and Warn winch. Painter tape is your friend here to keep track
20201119_140424.jpg

Last edited:

Merr

= II • Bronze
First Name
Andrew
T3G Member
#7,416
Started with installation of a Skyjacker 3" Coilover kit with A-Arms and their 2" Rear Leaf Springs. Had this done at the Dealership before I picked it up. First kit i 30 years I did not do myself and I have done 40+ kits ranging from every Jeep to Tundra and Dodge 1500's. The dealership Koch 33 sells lifted Toyotas off the lot so worked a del to have them do the installation. Kit includes diff drop, sway bar drop, upper a-arms, M95 monotube rear shocks, Fox coilovers and Rear Leaf springs. I decided to swap in Fox rear shocks for no other reason than to match the front set-up. Much more to come as parts come in.

Wheels are here waiting on tires. Hard to look at on those stock steelies! This the bare bones Tacoma SR with only options being Door sill guards and door edge protectors.

626384296.jpg
626371451.jpg
626371476.jpg
I just bought the same truck on Monday. Good luck with it .

Top Bottom