• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Woke up to a dead battery today

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
So, that's odd. Was going to go exploring out in the woods today and once I got myself and the big dog loaded...dang thing wouldn't turn over. The battery is the one that came with it but I hadn't noticed any issues up until now. It's on the charger. It was reading at 2% I assume it got drained but I'm nor sure what would drain it. The lights turn off automatically. I keep a ODB2 Bluetooth sensor plugging in all the time but it doesn't do anything except show a red light when the truck is off. I also have the VooDoo back up camera always on kit and the LED on that can stay on if I forget to switch it off. But it was switched off and it's just an LED. Both have been in place for a long time though with no issue. The battery is close to 2 years old. Still, not driving the truck for 2 or 3 days, I wouldn't expect it to just die like that. What's the life span on the stock battery? Maybe it just was it's time. I have Costco batteries in my other vehicles so I'm used to 90 months without issue.

EDIT: And now after 40 minutes or so my charger is reporting 86%? That seems...fast.

EDIT: 10 minutes later is said 100% so I disconnected and reconnected. Now after an hour of charging it says 47%...My charger is a PITA.

Last edited:
I've seen numerous reports of the factory Tacoma batteries being junk and going dead randomly on people. You're not the first to have this issue. Ive been rolling the idea around in the back of my head that if I get any issues from mine it'll be an immediate upgrade.

Upvote 0
I've seen numerous reports of the factory Tacoma batteries being junk and going dead randomly on people. You're not the first to have this issue. Ive been rolling the idea around in the back of my head that if I get any issues from mine it'll be an immediate upgrade.

Alright, well that's good to hear it's not just me then. Upgrade it is!

Upvote 0
Charged the battery all night and it was totally dead again this morning. Looks like I'm off to the Toyota dealership to see if they will replace it under warranty. Thankfully there is enough space there to cram in the larger battery from my Jeep so I'm not stuck.

Upvote 0
Get yourself an AGM battery like a northstar or a rebranded northstar sold by batteries plus thats called their X2 series. Theyre awesome batteries and you will not have any worries of your truck not starting with one. Theyre deep cycle with 195 reserve minutes. pick up a group 27F in these, its the max size that you can get away with in the stock battery tray.

Upvote 0
My bat sounds like it's on deaths door ?
Saving up for a bigger battery myself . I as well have hear many reports on toyotas batteries biting the dust early , had a few in my shop that barely started after having a door open for 30 min, then there us the other half of there batteries that just dont have issues at all

Upvote 0
Get yourself an AGM battery like a northstar or a rebranded northstar sold by batteries plus thats called their X2 series. Theyre awesome batteries and you will not have any worries of your truck not starting with one. Theyre deep cycle with 195 reserve minutes. pick up a group 27F in these, its the max size that you can get away with in the stock battery tray.

Holy geez Malcom. That's an expensive battery!

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/toyota/tacoma/2017/v6-3.5l-710cca/sli27fagmdp

(BB code seems to have eaten my Amazon link again)

Upvote 0

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/toyota/tacoma/2017/v6-3.5l-710cca/sli27fagmdp

Do you not see the post like this? I think I might change it so it doesn’t do this.
EA8C5611-69EE-44D1-9120-DF15E936E375.png

Upvote 0

The Batteries Plus X2 platinum series AGM is the same exact battery, infact it IS a rebranded Northstar, and they have better deals, I got mine for about 180$ cheaper than the branded northstar, and remember it is THE SAME EXACT BATTERY hah. Totally worth it though if you are going to get a new battery. Especially if you are running lots of accessories and even more so if you are running a winch. You will never have to worry about your battery for a long time, and these things are damn near bulletproof.

Upvote 0
Do you not see the post like this? I think I might change it so it doesn’t do this.
EA8C5611-69EE-44D1-9120-DF15E936E375.png
Nah, it just shows me either nothing or an unhappy sheet of paper icon.

Upvote 0
The Batteries Plus X2 platinum series AGM is the same exact battery, infact it IS a rebranded Northstar, and they have better deals, I got mine for about 180$ cheaper than the branded northstar, and remember it is THE SAME EXACT BATTERY hah. Totally worth it though if you are going to get a new battery. Especially if you are running lots of accessories and even more so if you are running a winch. You will never have to worry about your battery for a long time, and these things are damn near bulletproof.
It looks like it was $10 more expensive at batteries plus. You make a good case. I just have to try to make the same case to the wife. Thankfully she has no idea how much a car battery costs.

Upvote 0
It looks like it was $10 more expensive at batteries plus. You make a good case. I just have to try to make the same case to the wife. Thankfully she has no idea how much a car battery costs.
Locally here i got it for a steal and that was one of the only reasons i decided to upgrade. Just keep on looking im sure you could find some deals, They also give you 19$ for your old battery. theres also a 30$ mail in rebate for the X2's and 10% off if you buy online and pickup in store. They had them marked down at my local store so that just sweetened the pot. a group 27F in these batteries gives you a whopping 195 reserve minutes for starting which is crazy good. Not to mention the CCA/CA and recharge time of these is beastly. They will easily last you 7 years if you do proper battery maintenance, which is like clean your terminals once in a while lol.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Time to go dual AGMs

That's what I did shortly after my factory one took a dump

Upvote 0
So cheap !! I was quoted for a north star was 600 bucks , and odyssey was 800?

What the hell.... that’s double the cost....

Time to go dual AGMs

That's what I did shortly after my factory one took a dump

I’m looking to go dual battery before my month excursion in November

Upvote 0
What the hell.... that’s double the cost....

I’m looking to go dual battery before my month excursion in November
That was a bad qoute forsure just some prices I got from a local battery dealer, the odyssey was straight from a rep at a trade show I've seen the north stars in go for about 400 -500 here in canada with some shipping to add to that

Upvote 0
That was a bad qoute forsure just some prices I got from a local battery dealer, the odyssey was straight from a rep at a trade show I've seen the north stars in go for about 400 -500 here in canada with some shipping to add to that
Thats actually cheap considering the CA dollar is worth a bit less than US at the moment.

Upvote 0
Yes not to bad the dollar seems to have come back up ,
if you could really get a northstar for 400 Can dollar i would take that in a heart beat as its like 80$ off MSRP

Upvote 0
shit i shoulda bought off there if theyd ship to US and not charge me US prices lol

Upvote 0
I put an Optima in my 1991 Ford Exploder. It was fine, spun the starter like it was going to come out of the truck. Six months after I bought the battery, on a June day I shut the truck off, changed my mind about going into the store and when I went to start the truck I didn't even get a click. Something inside the battery caused an open in the circuit. Paid around $120 for the battery back then.
Not impressed at all with Optima batteries. Have had excellent luck with Duracell batteries tho.

Upvote 0
I put an Optima in my 1991 Ford Exploder. It was fine, spun the starter like it was going to come out of the truck. Six months after I bought the battery, on a June day I shut the truck off, changed my mind about going into the store and when I went to start the truck I didn't even get a click. Something inside the battery caused an open in the circuit. Paid around $120 for the battery back then.
Not impressed at all with Optima batteries. Have had excellent luck with Duracell batteries tho.
Optima's dropped in quality after they had moved their manufacturing plant and they are no longer a powerhouse as they used to be. Northstar, X2 Power premium (rebranded northstar) and odyssey is really the way to go now.

Upvote 0
Geez, I feel like I'm going to disappoint you guys with whatever cheapo replacement I go with. You all have these beautiful setups. Right now I've got the Costco battery from my Jeep strapped in because i havn't had time to get to the Toyota dealership to see if they will pro-rate me a new one.

Upvote 0
Back