• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Archived Who needs armor for their Tacoma? 4 Wheel Parts might have you covered... for free!

This thread is now an archive that does not accept new posts. If you wish to add to this discussion, you should create a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
giveaway-4wp-armor.jpeg

🏆 To celebrate the launch of their new 3rd Generation Tacoma accessories, @4 Wheel Parts have paired up with Tacoma3G to host a Giveaway. We're giving one piece of truck armor to a lucky Tacoma3G.com Forum member! You will be able to select: a front bumper, or a rear bumper, or a set of rock sliders, from the 4WP Catalog.

⚙️ To enter this Giveaway, we want you to tell us how you came to be a 4x4 enthusiast, and why a 3rd Gen Tacoma is your rig of choice. To make your entry, respond to this thread -- in your own words/format -- with the following information:
  • 1-3 photos of your truck
  • Tell us your story about becoming a 4x4 enthusiast and why you chose a 3rd Gen Tacoma. What are your plans and goals for your truck?
  • What is something you learned by browsing the Tacoma3G.com Forum?
  • Share a link to any product on the 4 Wheel Parts Website that you see yourself eventually using
  • If you win, do you want the front bumper, rear bumper, or rock sliders?

🏁 The winner will be selected by @4 Wheel Parts, based on your response. The goal is to hook-up a member that is clearly passionate about the 4x4 lifestyle and are likely to be in their 3rd Gen Tacoma for the long haul.

🟢 The Giveaway is officially open for entries. It will close on August 6, 2021, and the winner will be selected in the days following. Good luck!

My dad taught me how to drive a stick-shift truck in a hayfield near our home when I was eleven years old, and I've never looked back. Half a dozen rigs later, the reliability, simplicity, and curb appeal of the 3rd gen Tacoma lured me back into a 2020 TRD Pro. After investing in storage solutions with a decked system for the bed, lots of molle panels, and a hidden winch and some sliders, my family and I took a couple overlanding trips in the hills. Camping beside a large river with the roof top tent keeping my wife and young ones comfortable, or wheelin' down a trail with plenty of room for gear and lunch, the Tacoma hasn't missed a beat. With suggestions from the guys here on T3G, I've added a rear differential breather, selected the best set of rock sliders for my use, and had a rollicking good time laughing at the different personalities and truck build styles represented here. God willing, the future holds more trips, more memories, and hopefully a rear bumper from 4wp!

Gear I hope to use eventually:
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/motiv...-ratio-ring-and-pinion-tac488/_/R-GGNW-TAC488

D5842569-8EC1-43E0-B869-53DE4C52E09A.jpeg
F4BFC2D2-D5F5-4D04-9055-81562E163669.jpeg
00A87DA1-1420-452B-ACD6-9E3729675228.jpeg

I had a 4Runner back in high school and missed it. That was almost 18 years ago. I was always into modifying cars. It was a hobby, a passion. Got into car sales and it was taken away from me. Decided to go back to school. Started working at a State Prison. Learned it comes with good pay and early retirement. So there I was. Bought a house and did all the right things. Then I got trapped in this live to work cycle. Had a 2015 Corolla with everything. I've always wanted a Tacoma from back in the days I sold them. Impulsive thinking and woosh. I earned it. 2019 Tacoma in a snow storm. Literally the dealer driver went to pick it up during a State of Emergency. At first it was the little things. Then the more I'd read, the more I needed. Modifying the Tacoma became a hobby again. It's had it's ups and down. But it's helped keep my mental sanity. A build to keep me distracted, a progressive project that never ends and it gives me a sense of accomplishment after every new install. In the 2 years I've owned it, I've met a lot of people. It's the community that helps me get by. Tacoma3G.com has a more insightful base and I've received thoughtful help with specific questions. Don't get the same feedback from other places.

I want to explore more with the truck. Try new things. Taking it off road. Continue learning. I'm aiming for a RTT later on. Open up a new hobby to meet good people.

Currently running around bumperless. -.-

If it helps I'd be willing to contribute by doing a write up and sharing it on multiple social media platforms.
One of my strong skills is networking. Can get exposure and recommend people.

I've been eyeballing a winch from 4WP's for a while now.

If selected, I'd be interested in the rear bumper.

208534346_851743635693319_3111529682452265574_n.jpg
218127637_564878074541667_7742778667635752621_n.jpg

203894997_588953925417441_6458280919485564777_n.jpg

Last edited:
giveaway-4wp-armor.jpeg

🏆 To celebrate the launch of their new 3rd Generation Tacoma accessories, @4 Wheel Parts have paired up with Tacoma3G to host a Giveaway. We're giving one piece of truck armor to a lucky Tacoma3G.com Forum member! You will be able to select: a front bumper, or a rear bumper, or a set of rock sliders, from the 4WP Catalog.

⚙️ To enter this Giveaway, we want you to tell us how you came to be a 4x4 enthusiast, and why a 3rd Gen Tacoma is your rig of choice. To make your entry, respond to this thread -- in your own words/format -- with the following information:
  • Tell us your story about becoming a 4x4 enthusiast and why you chose a 3rd Gen Tacoma. What are your plans and goals for your truck?
  • Share a link to any product on the 4 Wheel Parts Website that you see yourself eventually using

🏁 The winner will be selected by @4 Wheel Parts, based on your response. The goal is to hook-up a member that is clearly passionate about the 4x4 lifestyle and are likely to be in their 3rd Gen Tacoma for the long haul.

🟢 The Giveaway is officially open for entries. It will close on August 6, 2021, and the winner will be selected in the days following. Good luck!

My father started me on my 4x4 journey. I started with learning to drive up in the hills in a 1957 willy's truck . 3 speed with a flat head 6. I was 12 and I was hooked . Over the years I've had many rigs and this is my second Tacoma. If I have a choice I would pic the Front bumper. The one thing I've learn from tacoma3g is how versatile the 3gen is and how many cool mods that are available.

Attachments

• 20210717_165517.jpg
    20210717_165517.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 81
I have always just been a car/ truck guy my entire life. Always had a fascination with going fast or going off road. I’d like to build an oldschool new school truck, that looks like the old yota’s with the light bar and steel bumpers. I already have the front bumper I wanted now I just need the rear bumper. I just signed up for this forum but I have used threads on here many times before signing up, the ovtune was my first thread post and already found someone that can help me out. I like this site cause I know I’m not alone if something makes noise or don’t seem right. Someone else has already fixed it once on here.
I could absolutely use this for my truck it would complete the look I am going for. Thanks for the chance to win.

1B3DC880-F24D-4C3C-A24A-3BE912298A8C.jpeg

Attachments

• AC3B744D-EB12-42D8-8987-26510F4D9A73.jpeg
    AC3B744D-EB12-42D8-8987-26510F4D9A73.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 109
  • BA0271F5-5A26-409C-AB6E-1ACD911ABF6D.jpeg
    BA0271F5-5A26-409C-AB6E-1ACD911ABF6D.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 100
When I first started offroading it was in a 2 wheel drive jeep visiting fire roads and small trails the 2wd could handle, little by little I started to creep up on the idea of purchasing the tacoma, being a bmw tech and working endless hours stressing out all the time and thinking about the outdoors constantly. my escape is travel which is why I purchased the tacoma, I gained confidence and eagerness to see where my rig could take me, little by little I started to going further and further and finding so much reward in all the places my wife and I have visited, most rewards beings the memories that I can take with me when I die. I will keep expanding my travel distances and experiences. And a front bumper winch accessibility can get me more comfort with harsher terrain.the rear tail gate is also a big goal and awesome setup for longer travels would totally rock their rear bumper.

DSC01540.jpg

DSC00694-2.jpg

DSC01885.jpg

Last edited:
Just recently reintroduced to the 3G Tacoma family again. This will be my 3rd Taco. I've been fortunate enough to get over 250K out of my 89 & 99 models.
Life circumstances required a 'change' for a few years, however now I'm back in the family.
I would outfit my grey ghost with a new front bumper. I'm hoping to get another 250K+out of this relationship.

Attachments

• 20210711_083804.jpg
    20210711_083804.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 84
I learned how to off road in a 2wd truck, got stuck 6 times the first time I ever tried it with a group a Tacoma guys, they took their time and taught me how not to get stuck and now I’m much better, that was 3 yrs ago, since then I go any weekend day I can get off of work to go ride with them and we always have an exciting adventure. The stock pic on my profile is the truck I learned in, but now I drive a 16 Tonka truck, that I did most of the build on. I just put the new bumpers on it from 4wd parts, so all it needs is sliders. Here’s a few pics of what it looks like now, and the guys in the Tampa 4wd parts store have seen this truck in person, they might remember me…
I’ve had so many Tacoma’s I could never count, my very first truck way back when I was 17 was an 89 Toyota pickup, that thing ran forever. And yes I am a woman that loves to off road, loves to try new things, get stuck, help others, and try to enjoy life when I’m not working.

Attachments

• D2007C48-F77E-4D13-AD78-49B0DE99F988.jpeg
    D2007C48-F77E-4D13-AD78-49B0DE99F988.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 83
  • 2B39C592-219D-4093-9091-53A6E90E7C94.jpeg
    2B39C592-219D-4093-9091-53A6E90E7C94.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 32EDAB53-4D4C-49DA-BE0C-76CFDB511FD6.jpeg
    32EDAB53-4D4C-49DA-BE0C-76CFDB511FD6.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 90
I've always been a car guy my whole life. I've been into Honda's and VW aircooled chassis since I could drive. My wife and I decided last year to buy a camper, but we needed something to pull it with. I was attracted to tacomas because of their reliability and versatility. I had thrown around the idea of a Tundra, but I have no use for a full size truck. It's just too big for our needs currently. We also plan on getting a SXS in a year or so, the Tacoma fit the bill for what I was wanting. I enjoy wrenching on things, I'm more of a DIY guy. In the near future I will be picking up a lift, hopefully the one linked below!

I'm also on other "tacoma" forums, but this one is better suited for me. I love this forum and how the members are here to help with any issue another member might have.

Future plans would be some rock slider/steps for my wife after I lift the truck! We are planning on getting some wheels in the future! If I happened to win, I'd love the sliders! I'm not a huge fan of steps for aesthetic reasons , but love the look of sliders.

Being new to 4X4 world, I'm just ready to do truck stuff. A recent outing with my wife resulted in her loving wheeling in the mud! On the second day of ownership we were pulling a SXS to the offroad park to go play, I see us doing that more once we get a SXS.
5F444975-A4DA-4833-B112-9CFAA26F2442.jpeg
020767CA-140F-4905-8997-CF6259D5F88A.jpeg
08F9835E-F532-473E-B03B-A4A38EFDDA07.jpeg

Good luck to all participants! May the odds be ever in your favor!

I started wheeling a few year ago after I was introduced to ATVs years prior to owning my Tacoma. I was stationed in Alaska and was looking to trying and getting a 2nd gen but I got sent overseas. This obviously changed my plans. I decided to save up while I was there and when I got back, I started into looking not only in Tacomas but other trucks as well. Eventually a few days before my promotion(a surprise), I went to the dealership and got to test drive the one I currently have. Got to drive it for a week before signing papers! Since then, I have been modding, albeit cheaper mods.
I am building an overlanding rig and I am excited for it.

This website has been great. I love the discussion threads and all the helpful info that is on here. It's great to ask a question and not get those ***holes who make you regret it.

I'd love to get some bump stops. https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/fox-2-0-factory-series-bump-stop-983-02-091/_/R-BKTK-983-02-091

If I won, I'd love to get the rear bumper even if it's without the swing outs. Second option would be the sliders.

Attachments

• 20210522_070954.jpg
    20210522_070954.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20210507_151615_830.jpg
    IMG_20210507_151615_830.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20201114_084644_232.jpg
    IMG_20201114_084644_232.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 75
For the longest time i've been a street truck guy. My dad taught me how to drive in a manual transmission Chevy S10 and since then i've found myself preferring a truck over cars. Some time in high school I was introduced to rally truck racing and loved the ability to handle various terrains and such a beating. My first truck purchased on my own was a 2005 Chevy Colorado (2WD, 4 cylinder) and drove it till engine and transmission were costing me too much to repair. Needless to say, I got the truck stuck all too often trying to keep up with my friends. Slept in the bed of the truck a few times while floor camping during thunder storms but never had the funds to build out the Colorado and in all honesty, I didn't want to because i knew i would get rid of it at some point due to lack of capabilities. I had planned to get a Tundra until my dad loaned me his while I was trying to find a replacement for my Colorado. I quickly realized that the tundra was more than what I wanted and couldn't justify the size, the next best thing was the Tacoma. NO REGRETS!!! I love this thing and like most others, I have planned to spend way too much $$$ on it ...dont tell the wife. Best part is that the dog and wife love the truck as well. I introduced wife to camping but she refused to go on long trips until we got the Tacoma. Now she's down to go out of state in the truck and I have her thinking we can start going to places further away and more isolated. No approval needed for an overland build but there will be arguments over the amount spent. I got the truck in December and already have a list of items to buy: Next item on the list to buy is the Icon Stage 3 lift followed by skid plates and other miscellaneous items. First thing i learned was that i didn't do enough research on how i wanted to build my Tacoma and purchased a bed cover that I'm not sure can support the weight I may be putting on it. Also learned that i should relocate all the breathers in my truck as the city of Houston tends to flood. There is so much about 4x4 life that I don't know about, but quickly learning. Wife is probably tired of hearing me talk about things i've learned on the Taco Forums... pretty sure thats normal in the community. Before the end of the year, I'll be going to try some mild overlanding on true rocks, not the gravel i deal with daily at a local overland expo. To answer the question of my goals for the truck, I hadn't considered that, I guess its to visit as many state parks as I can and to join the community in random excursions. As for items to put to use, having so many beaches near me, i know i'll need a compressor, so why not an ARB Twin Air (link in sentence). If i were to win, I would likely want the rear bumper as i have already ordered a new front bumper. Yes, the truck looks stock now but it wont for long.

Attachments

• 20210120_094649.jpg
    20210120_094649.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210129_174222.jpg
    20210129_174222.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I’ve always drove some kind of 4wd SUV for years, the went over to driving Swedish and German cars. But, I’ve always kept a spot for 4WD vehicles, all Toyota Tacoma’s driving them at my family’s place in Honduras. Sturdy long life Toyota Tacomas and one particular one with well over 500,000 miles and the only service being only an oil and transmission services. This impressed me. Fast forward to now, I felt a yearn to get back into a Tacoma because of this and POW! Went over to buy a used 2019, but when I got there it had sold, but I was offered a 2021 Off Road at a damn good price, so I took the plunge and never regretted it. Traded in a Mercedes SUV and never missed it. On Tacoma 3G I’ve learned the particular mods I’d need for my needs like BillieBars, (billiebars.com) running boards vs sliders, the particulars of tire/wheel sizing, and what is useful and not useful to my needs. A front bumper would be nice as the rear has the sensors, but not the front.

Attachments

• 8FD43DC9-4DF9-481A-8588-749B9BD63F15.jpeg
    8FD43DC9-4DF9-481A-8588-749B9BD63F15.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20457989-4139-4AC3-92BF-94BC8BDEB64B.jpeg
    20457989-4139-4AC3-92BF-94BC8BDEB64B.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 6554000C-69F2-48F9-B2B9-E10D95D9CE4C.jpeg
    6554000C-69F2-48F9-B2B9-E10D95D9CE4C.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 79
Long story short, I've been into the offroad since 9 y.o. with my 1987 Yamaha champ 100cc atv. The growing interest about Toyota pick up was to carry my atv's to the dunes and some new trails.
The dad of my best friend had a Black 1982 pick up that we have use to carry our atv and motocross. That truck was awesome...-40 C outside and it always start right up! It brought us litterally everywhere...
Since then I was sold and got my first Toy at 24 y.o. It was a 1993 T100 with 50k miles on it. The original owner was a neighbour of 92 years old. That truck was immaculate! I was always dreaming about installing a winch, but bank account says otherwise!
Fast forward to my 30's and my 2003 black Tacoma access cab, it was always what I've dream of.
It had a 3in lift, JBA uca, 285's but no winch... That black pick up served me very well. At 278k kilometers was still strong but I've decided to let it go.
It took me 1 year and I had to get another Tacoma! I was looking at 2nd gen used in 2019/20.
I knew the 3rd gen had it's flaws. I've kept on reading about what owners said in the forum, car complaints, etc.
I finally pulled the trigger on my 2019 MGM TRD O.R. DCSB.
The first week I've put Apex rocksliders. I've already dent my rocker on my 03 and didnt want to happened again on my brand new truck. I've put Eibach 2.0 coilovers, Icon aal with timbren active offroad bump stops and a couple of other mods.

Now, I'm looking into a bolt-on winch bumper and I've been considering the warn bumper and the SSO.
At the begining of this week, I saw the new bumper of 4wp video on Youtube and share it to my friends while telling them, "this is my next mod".
My girlfriend and I like to go wheeling into the powerlines trails and in the appalache mountains.
My trail dog is a french water dog and she's always ready to jump in for new adventures!
A winch bumper will be a very welcome addition to my build.
IMG-20200914-WA0088.jpg
20210529_155712.jpg
received_715811408962962.jpeg

Last edited:
giveaway-4wp-armor.jpeg

I have always been an active outdoor guy and am in the process of molding my son to be the same way....it's a struggle. He loves being with me on off road adventures and thanks me after every one of these adventures but he doesn't have the same desire to be out of cell phone range yet. My 2019 TRD Pro is a tool to help facilitate this. After owning a 1997 4Runner, I decided a truck would be more useful and the 4Runner's durability and capabilities sold me on the Toyota brand. Being able to customize it with all the different options available was a big plus. My son is 14 now and has been exposed to the dirt on most of the mountains in So. Cal but I don't think he has ever seen the drive back home!

I installed an ARB Twin Air Compressor, rock sliders and Diamondback cover. We are also in the process of planning an overlanding trip next year and I still have more upgrades to make. I would love to have the security of being able to self rescue or help someone who is in a tough spot. A front bumper and winch combo is definitely in my future at some point (https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/body-...winch-bumper-black-tc-19338/_/R-BKKM-TC-19338 and https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/warn-vr-evo-10-s-winch-with-synthetic-rope-103253/_/R-BCSQ-103253).

Attachments

• Truck3.JPG
    Truck3.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Truck1.JPG
    Truck1.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Truck2.JPG
    Truck2.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 74
giveaway-4wp-armor.jpeg

I became Addicted to 4X4 with my first jeep when I was a teenager. Got tired of jeeps once the JK became a douche mobile. Always appreciated Toyotas after driving hilux and 1 gen Tacomas in Iraq. My plans are 33's and armor. I learned a ton about Tacomas from this forum but most importantly about the fuel pump recall.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/4-whe...&gp=1&utm_source=IGShopping&utm_medium=Social

If I win I'd prefer a front bumper.

Attachments

• IMG_9444.jpg
    IMG_9444.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 92
giveaway-4wp-armor.jpeg

giveaway-4wp-armor.jpeg

I always wanted a Jeep when I was younger. For years I followed off roading Jeep’s and always dreamed about having a bad ass Overlanding jeep. After I joined the military and got back from my first deployment, the first thing I did was go to a dealership and began test driving Jeep’s to see which one I liked. And I immediately hated driving it. I felt like I was driving a desk in a cubical. But then I saw her…..a 3rd gen Taco, starring back at me. I decided to test drive her and give her a shot, and she won my heart.

The player may have changed but the game stayed the same. The goal was to still build a bad ass off road/overlanding vehicle.

I love getting out In the world, off roading, camping, being out in the elements.

so far all I’ve done to my taco is new icon suspension with icon wheels, Toyo A/T tires, blacked out tail lights, new headlights, chrome delete kit interior, blacked out emblems, and a new grill with a light bar.

I have a lot more to do though….planning on getting lil b’s front bumper with lights and a smittybuilt winch, patiently waiting for apogee off-road to release their new swing out rear bumper, sliders, up top overland roof rack and bed rack, iKamper tent, and all the other little overlanding toys.

I learned a lot form Tacoma 3G but the first think I remember researching is the largest tire and lift you can get before you have to worry about rubbing

From 4wheel parts, I would love to have this put on my Taco: Sliders with kick out

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/4-whe...rs-with-rear-kickouts-61648w/_/R-4WPBR-61648W

If I win, I definitely wanna get those sliders.
F7D91D4C-A394-4C30-B743-966E5A4F5108.jpeg
A977A5DB-1610-448D-9FFA-A8ECA99186CB.jpeg
82F5E1FD-26DA-4866-A3D8-3582A0339670.jpeg

I have been into off-roading since I got my first dirt bike at 8 years old, a Suzuki Rm80.
I have always enjoyed traversing in the out of doors. In my younger years I was all about jumping my truck, but have mellowed a bit and do baby our new 3rd Gen a bit.
20210704_170525.jpg
20210411_132733.jpg
20210530_211035.jpg

My 99' usually sees the rougher use. It has 275000 miles on it and is still going strong. I hope to get that kind of mileage out if the 3rd gen.
I chose the 3rd gen Tacoma based on the trustworthiness of my previous Toyota experiences and the fact that I could get it with a manual transmission.
I have learned that the host of the Tacoma3G site is interested in hooking up the subscribers with goodies and giveaways when he can. :LOL:
I could see myself getting one of these in the near future for peace of mind: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-essentials-recovery-kit-rk11/_/R-BHWQ-RK11
I usually keep my rugs relatively stock, but if I were to win win I would want the front bumper.
Thanks for setting this up Tyler!

Last edited:
I never spent time off roading when younger however, being a avid mountain biker and camper it just kind of fell in place. I have really enjoyed this last year in North Carolina working on my truck as well as convincing my brother to build a rig him self. I plan on continuing the build we have started with both bumpers, winch, and roof rack over the Softopper. I look forward to spending more time with my wife, 4yo and friends both new and old, out on the trial.

lots on the site but I know I’ll end up getting a winch similar to the one below (all depends on my wallet at the time haha) as soon as I get a bumper. https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smittybilt-xrc-9-5k-waterproof-9500lb-winch-gen2-97495/_/R-DSBP-97495

I relied heavily on these forums when I first got my truck. Being a complete newb, I was focused on cosmetics but learned quickly, thanks to everyone on here, that lights and grills don’t do much on the trail LOL.

I am lifted and have sliders but am in need of high clearance front and rear bumpers, have scuffed both up already haha. No real preference on one over the other were I to win however the front would give me option for a winch a whole lot quicker than I planned LOL.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 8AEA4039-0558-4D12-A274-696EF366B670.jpeg
    8AEA4039-0558-4D12-A274-696EF366B670.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 33F144E5-49AE-46F3-895A-67D5BE7EAEA0.jpeg
    33F144E5-49AE-46F3-895A-67D5BE7EAEA0.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 50A63C3F-A1B8-451D-992F-C804548FC6DA.jpeg
    50A63C3F-A1B8-451D-992F-C804548FC6DA.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 77
I got into 4x4ing pretty gradually. I have always loved the outdoors - hunting, fishing, hiking, shooting - but haven’t owned a true 4x4 until this year. I started with a couple of subarus and found out that no matter how much I modded them, they weren’t a true 4x4 and couldn’t truly do what I wanted a vehicle to do.

I have had a buddy that I went trail riding with that had a 3rd gen 4Runner and I have always admired the rugged reliability Toyota seems to bring to the table. I learned to drive stick in an old Toyota pickup and that truck had been around for a lifetime before I knew it 😂 so before long, I started looking for Tacoma’s and found mine. I made a goal this year to go wheeling at least once a month and I can proudly say this is the first New Years resolution I have kept this far into the year.

I have loved the added capability my 3rd gen tacoma has brought me for both my daily life and my offroad adventures. I have begun to lightly modify it (low profile lighting and a lift kit have been the first major mods). Before I even saw this giveaway post, I saw the new 4wp front bumper and it looked absolutely perfect for what I want for my truck. I want to have an capable truck that doesn’t necessarily look like an absolute offroad beast. I have a job that requires me to use my personal vehicle quite a bit and I want to keep it looking fairly professional. This low profile bumper is perfect for added protection and the capability to run a winch (one I plan to buy from 4wp https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smitt...winch-gen2-with-fairlead-98510/_/R-DSBP-98510 ). If I win, I’ll put this bumper to good use for sure.

I have enjoyed the forum here - I actually learned about regearing here on this site and what that can do for a truck. Opened up a whole new budget buster 😂 glad y’all are doin this giveaway, I hope to be seriously considered! Thanks 4wp!

*edited to add two more pics

Attachments

• 6E427DF6-B968-42D5-B2B3-77FD0F4556A5.jpeg
    6E427DF6-B968-42D5-B2B3-77FD0F4556A5.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 90
  • D97ECDA1-F01C-4CBB-971C-A44C933974F3.jpeg
    D97ECDA1-F01C-4CBB-971C-A44C933974F3.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 2A8401FB-7222-4B45-A094-D081F2F007AE.jpeg
    2A8401FB-7222-4B45-A094-D081F2F007AE.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I’ve been going hunting with my late grandpa, my father, and my brother ever since I was 8 years old. Exploring the vast, rugged wilderness of Northeast Nevada. Always finding new trails to conquer on our way up the mountains. I’ve been hooked on the thrill and excitement of finding what’s over the next peak ever since. Growing up my grandpa always drove a Tacoma, and my brother had tacos all throughout high school. After landing a job in the mining industry I was able to afford a pickup I had always wanted: a 2020 TRD PRO. My dreams became reality as I slowly built it into the off-road/ hunting rig that I can confidently take anywhere. While scrolling through endless conversations in the tg3 website I learned more and more about suspension setups which helped me decide on upgrading to a stage 10 Icon package. If I were to win the giveaway I would choose the rock sliders. That’s one thing I don’t have on the pickup and would really benefit from having them.

Attachments

• EBF58E71-0F52-446F-A6FE-6E3E222FF80F.jpeg
    EBF58E71-0F52-446F-A6FE-6E3E222FF80F.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 12BDA765-7AA7-4807-820B-31C5AB9561BB.jpeg
    12BDA765-7AA7-4807-820B-31C5AB9561BB.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 133E1F68-6434-40C9-B053-E054209E622A.jpeg
    133E1F68-6434-40C9-B053-E054209E622A.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 77
Truth be told - my "off roading" experience started when I was a kid. My family has had a little cabin in the woods my dad built since the 1950's. The only way to get there is up a "trail." Well, my father being the determined (or stubborn) soul he is did not want to haul everything up on foot when we stayed there - so he drove up. The only problem is, we had a 1981 AMC Spirit - which is a rear wheel drive 4-speed manual 2-door CAR!! There were a few oil pans replaced over the years! And this was the car a learned to drive on when I was 15. Sadly, its not around any more.
But from there, I have always had a love for going off-road. Not so much to get my vehicle all muddy, but for the simple enjoyment of being on a trail, going through the woods or places that most vehicles cannot go and enjoying nature and the surroundings.
My first off road vehicle was a 1994 Ford Explorer. Following that was a Ford Ranger.
NOW I have a 2017 Tacoma, and I absolutely love it. There is no comparison to the ability of this truck to anything else. The versatility and dependability, and even "workability" is second to none. It is THE BEST.
I bought this truck in 2018, and my wife jokingly made me sign an agreement that I would not get rid of it - mostly because She thinks I have had too many vehicles over the years (haha). But in all seriousness, over the last 3-years I have put a lot of work into it, and spent a lot of time in it. I have done countless miles and hours of offroad trail riding, camping, and as each year goes by I want to do more and change things to be able to do more, and make my truck even better and I just don't think there is any other vehicle out there that could make this more enjoyable.
Since builds can get expensive, I have been on the budget side for most of my modifications - many of which I have either made or built myself. I have 3 kids so I do not have a lot of extra money to spend. My truck does have a lift, 285 tires, and some nice accessories but lacks some of the bigger ticket items that can be rather expensive, such as bumpers. I have ripped the corner off of my stock rear bumper many times and its currently held together by the screw isle of the hardware store. One of my goals is to be able to put an aftermarket offroad bumper on this truck.
If I was to win I would steer towards a bumper with an optional swing out to hold the spare tire such as this: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/4-wheel-parts-factory-tacoma-rear-bumper-61448w/_/R-4WPBR-61448W
Either way - I will continue to ride the trails in this truck, change it and improve where and when I can, but otherwise this truck will be around for a long time. My 8 year old has already said she would drive it when she gets her license. My 4-year old daughter is also my off road buddy and asks go for a "taco ride" all the time. She and I even have a bedtime song I sing to her. "Let's go offroad in the taco, lets go offroad in the woods. Everything is so much more fun when you click it in to 4-wheel drive. etc..."
Giveaways like this always make me dream a little more of the possibilities! My goal is to make my truck as versatile, accessable, and equipped as possible in order to make any experience we have the best and most enjoyable it can possibly be.
"The key to success in life is to take opportunities when they arise."
Thank you guys for your time!

-Andrew Brothers
TacoBro802 (T3G/IG)
abrotherslpd@yahoo.com
IMG_0242.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0375 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0375 (1).jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I Got into 4 Wheeling and trucks in high school, on my third highschool kinda gave up on making friends but i meant one person who i had a lot in common with. I found out we both loved anything with a engine, which fueled me to work on my first truck and i just quickly fell in love with working and tinkering on trucks and bikes. I chose a 3rd gen taco because i wanted something new and that i wouldn't have reliability issues with ever especially since i was always hearing good things about Toyota's. Before I even bought my truck i was looking everywhere for common problems, issues and complaints people have that way i could address them early on. Even now i'm waiting on some fittings off amazon so i can finish my rear diff breather. Im planning on getting this kit one day when the money's' there considering i'm going for an overland/ prerunner type build.
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-o...ift-kit-heavy-load-tacbp51h/_/R-BHWQ-TACBP51H
If i were to win i'd love a front bumper.

Attachments

• truck stuff.jpg
    truck stuff.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 71
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 78
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 73
I've always been drawn to exploring the less explored parts of north America either with ATV's, dirt bikes and more recently my truck. I chose the 3rd gen tacoma because well honestly in my opinion its the most reliable midsized truck you can buy with a manual transmission and they are extremely capable right from the factory just with better tires but the more I explore the more I know that I'm going to need to get the rock sliders and I never plan on selling this truck!

Attachments

• 16277512804477713123638907104170.jpg
    16277512804477713123638907104170.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 83
I do not have a story. I picked up a Tacoma because of reliability, style and platform I needed for leisure.
My plans for my Tacoma involves setting it up to tow my motorcycle in a trailer, and camp along the roadways.
Tacoma3G.com has taught me the pros and cons of certain add-ons I've already done, such as front camera, bumper, bed stiffners and hood struts. I find myself coming here first to review thoughts and images of things I want to add to my truck to elevate my experience.
I'm selecting as my choice these beautiful sliders:
As such the sliders would be my choice.
Thank you to all for the knowledge and support.
20210713_131522~2.jpg
20210702_131512.jpg
20201029_100503.jpg

Grew up in VA and a neighbor gave us a ride in his 4x4 Bronco and had such an awesome experience that I wanted to re-live that. I chose a Tacoma to do just that. Thanks for the contest!

Rear bumper

profile_zoom.jpg
20210530_173946.jpg
20210519_192247.jpg

I grew up quite the troublemaker. I would tinker with everything, often driving my parents insane. VHS players, cameras, tools... You name it, if it was left lying around the house I would find a way to take it apart and see how it works. This compulsive behavior to learn how things work stuck with me all through my upbringing. Eventually, I stopped breaking everything I took apart and started actually making things better. When I got to high school, I learned how to weld, wire up electrical systems, and fix cars starting with grandpa's old 66' Ford. My dad got a Jeep around the same time and we took that sucker out all the time! When dad broke it - I'd fix it and be ready for the next weekend, whether chasing a solar eclipse, enjoying the local canyons, or just running over things that a regular car couldn't, I loved it. More recently, I've been blessed to have held on to a really solid job through covid that has allowed me to chase that high on my own. For obvious reasons, I went for a Toyota over a Chrysler because I'd prefer a more lenient time fixing : time driving ratio! Now I take it out on the regular, camping once or twice a week in beautiful spots around Utah. Sometimes with my dad and sometimes with friends. Sometimes it's even just me, but the buzz never wears off.

I plan on making this truck last a long time. 25k miles under my belt with it and it's been great so far. It's an amazing tool that helps me discover joy, so I give her a lot of love right back. The future holds regearing, new intake, some fancy wiring, solar powa, more storage, air/water tanks, and so much more. Plans bigger than my wallet allows for sure. Also, I don't have my own kids yet, but when I do, I want them to get that same buzz - learning how things work, doing things yourself, and developing a respect and love for nature. I expect this thing to be around for that.

Something learned: Trust in people to do good. This forum has given me a lot of hope and trust in people. There are a lot of great guys/gals willing to share their experiences and knowledge for no other purpose than to help somebody who hasn't figured it out yet. I had a lot of help trying to learn about tuning, deleting the accumulator on my MT truck, and with so many other things. Very grateful for it and the people here!

Here's something I will end up using eventually Warn Winch

If I won, I'd go for the rear bumper for its modularity. Also because I really want to build my own sliders and have a front bumper on the way but chopped off too much for the 4wp one haha

Attachments

• IMG_0114.JPG
    IMG_0114.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 79
Growing up, everything I loved was outside. My brothers and I bonded over building forts out of sticks and adventuring in our woods. When my brothers and friends all became teenagers, every one of my friends had a truck or a jeep that they would take on trails or mud pits. I fell in love with 4x4 through those experiences. Not only for the off-road aspect, but also for the bond my brothers, friends, and I shared from off-road adventures. Through my teenage years I was never able to get my hands on a vehicle that I'd feel comfortable trail-riding with, although I still tortured the heck out of my 2013 Toyota Highlander. However, almost a year ago I bought my first truck: a 2020 Toyota Tacoma. Whatever I chose I wanted to be able to make my own, so thats why I chose the 3rd Gen because I love the body style and modularity of the truck. Immediately I took it out for trail-riding and fell absolutely head over heels for being behind the wheel and kicking it in 4x4. What a feeling... This truck has done a lot for me, and I'm stoked to share these same experiences with my children some day.

4x4 is one of my favorite pastimes and is even better with someone to share it with. Taking my girlfriend/fiancé and now wife on trails has been one of the highlights of our relationship. Heck, she even works on the truck with me sometimes! Trips to the North GA mountains always have been incredible, but trail-riding with the Tacoma just takes it to the next level. We've gone almost every direction in GA to ride, but now that we're married we'd love to take this show on the road. I'd like to go north to states like Virginia and Michigan, but the place on the top of our list has been Utah for its one-of-a-kind views and trails. The only thing left for us to upgrade is to add armor for the terrain and we're good to go. GA trails aren't very hazardous so there hasn't been a real need for armor, but now that we're making plans to travel to I've wanted to add bumpers and sliders for a while to add to the aesthetic, but now I have a practical reason for them too. That's why if I won, I would love to add the 4WP front bumper to my rig. Money is tight for us right now as my wife is still in college, so winning the bumper would be such a blessing. The option to add two extra cube lights will be great for trail-riding at low-visibility as well.

So far, I've added interior panels from Rago Fabrication, a GMRS radio and antennae from Midway, a level kit from Rough Country, Cali Raised LED fog lights, and Vision rims with 33" BFG tires. I also ride with a Hi-Lift Jack for wenching and because the factory jack doesn't work with my tire size. My future plans for the truck largely include exterior upgrades such as rock sliders and bumpers as I don't have any armor on the Taco except the factory skid plate. I'm still on the hunt for a TRD Sport hood to swap with mine, but I've placed that on the back burner for now. I want to run this rig into the ground and be the only owner so I'm going to have this truck for a long, long while and I'm trying to be very careful with what I add to it because I don't want to flip-flop and change things often. What I upgrade will likely stay that way for the life of the truck. Sometime in the next year I'd love to add bed stiffeners and this rear bumper from 4WP.

Browsing the Tacoma3G Forum has been so encouraging and helpful to me as it's connected me with threads and people that are as enthusiastic as I am about my Taco. I've been interested in the VF Tuner and have learned so much about it and what it can do for my rig from the T3G Forum. A couple months ago when I changed my wheel and tire size, I scoured the T3G Forums and found some of the best advice for achieving what I wanted with minimal rubbing at full turn, way more helpful than YouTube. This giveaway and the opportunity to add a 4WP upgrade to my truck has been so exciting too and I'm super thankful for it.

IMG_0690.HEIC.png

IMG_0784.jpg.png

IMG_9559.png

Last edited:
giveaway-4wp-armor.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back