• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Where can I make 80k a year?

I second the medical field. A little (a lot in many cases) off work to get a degree or certification, and you can make some fairly good cash, especially if you're willing to travel.
But good luck with the YouTube stuff.

I work in fire/ems. It's a fun career and I have plenty of free time, but it's not easy to get into. It took a lot of work to finally get hired where I wanted.

Oil and gas industry’s are top notch. Most are equal time so you work 6 months out of the year. Can’t beat that. I think That’s the best way to have a good live your life and also still work

Old-ish thread,

Way back in the before-afore times, I was dragged onboard one of those cheesy sunset cruises around some island harbor, along with 50 or so other drunk tourists. I happened to strike a convo with the captain and found that far more fascinating than whatever crap we were supposed to be watching.

This guy was an I.P. lawyer out of New York and totally burned out on that former life. On a wild hair, he quit, sold his house, and moved to Key West. He spent a couple of years crewing on someone's tourist boat which was easy enough and sort-of paid the bills. During that he studied to get his master license, then he bought and captained his own boat, and started handing out flyers at the cruise terminals.
He said that after expenses and payroll he was still pulling in a high six figs. He claimed he was making more than he did as an attorney in NYC, and at half the labor-hours. And no wonder: 50 passengers paying 100 bucks a head for a one hour tour and bottomless low-end margaritas, and he did that three times a day, 6 days a week. Easy money.

I wonder how he's doing now?

Watch for Automotive Aftermarket industry jobs here SEMA

Old-ish thread,

Way back in the before-afore times, I was dragged onboard one of those cheesy sunset cruises around some island harbor, along with 50 or so other drunk tourists. I happened to strike a convo with the captain and found that far more fascinating than whatever crap we were supposed to be watching.

This guy was an I.P. lawyer out of New York and totally burned out on that former life. On a wild hair, he quit, sold his house, and moved to Key West. He spent a couple of years crewing on someone's tourist boat which was easy enough and sort-of paid the bills. During that he studied to get his master license, then he bought and captained his own boat, and started handing out flyers at the cruise terminals.
He said that after expenses and payroll he was still pulling in a high six figs. He claimed he was making more than he did as an attorney in NYC, and at half the labor-hours. And no wonder: 50 passengers paying 100 bucks a head for a one hour tour and bottomless low-end margaritas, and he did that three times a day, 6 days a week. Easy money.

I wonder how he's doing now?
Captaining boats can be very lucrative. Not only cruise ships, but fishing boats, oil rigs, engineering/surveying boats, etc.

My step dad gets paid around $300-400/day on short contracts to captain boats and said the next level license could get him $1000/day or more if he wants to captain the larger boats.

I would say join the military. Do that for 4 years and get out with the GI bill then get an education or job in a different country to grasp different ideas of what to do with life.

Captaining boats can be very lucrative. Not only cruise ships, but fishing boats, oil rigs, engineering/surveying boats, etc.

My step dad gets paid around $300-400/day on short contracts to captain boats and said the next level license could get him $1000/day or more if he wants to captain the larger boats.
Oil industry is dog poop rn. All us shipping guys want $120 barrel oil again lol. Where’s your dad working at?

I wish I could give some advise, but I have been self employed my whole life. I don't know what the job market is like out in the real world.

Oil industry is dog poop rn. All us shipping guys want $120 barrel oil again lol. Where’s your dad working at?
He's self-employed but does contract work occasionally when his commercial real estate business is slow. I think right now they're on something to do with wind farms lol

He's self-employed but does contract work occasionally when his commercial real estate business is slow. I think right now they're on something to do with wind farms lol
That’s what I’m thinking. Ride out the oil as long as I can then jump to wind farms. My gf just started doing yacht stewardess stuff and I’m an engineer so I’m hoping she can get me some side work lol

Honestly it's not about money it's about happiness. I retired young because I was lucky. I have a couple old-school type retirements that pay plus VA disability and the wife is still working. Just find your happy place man it all works out don't worry about it you're young. Don't let the pressures of the world and people who think they know everything tell you or give you bad advice. That's all I have to say. I'm still living the dream. Cheers

(As for bad advice I'm not talking about anybody here😉)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tacosurf has it right. It always sounded like corny advice growing up, but you gotta find a living doing what you enjoy. I still don't feel like an "adult", so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I grew up as a computer nerd, and lucked my way into a Tech job at a startup company. The company has become very successful. I enjoyed it enough to trudge through some seriously long weeks/months at the beginning, and it's turning into a crazy career at this point. If I didn't enjoy it, then I would've just hung out at work long enough to have been laid off this past year.

Join the foreign service. USG pension after 20 years, USG paid housing overseas and the overseas schools for kids are best in the world (paid by the USG). Lots of non-traditional 'diplomat' jobs that people don't know about.

Diplomatic Couriers are hiring right now and you only need an associate's degree. Although the high end of the salary range meets the thread requirement, they don't highlight that couriers spend much of their time on the road making tax-free per diem.

Well, I wanted to say thanks for all of the responses I got on this question. At the time I posted the question, I was really down and out at my job. I was a store manager for O’Reilly at a very high volume store. All of the obstacles that the last couple of years brought were very tough and had me really not liking what I was doing anymore.

Skip forward a bit, I stepped down from my position and became a regular counter guy. I loved the breath that I got from this but wasn’t completely satisfied because it wasn’t much of a challenge for me. I did that for about three months until I got a phone call from one of my customers.

I am now the service manager of ByRider. It’s a franchise used car dealer. The owner I have known for years and everyone around really likes him. So far I’m on my second week and really loving the new challenge.

Again to all of you, I really really appreciate all of you. Also, I know I haven’t been present here much lately but with all of this stuff happening lately I just haven’t really been motivated to do much. These passed couple of weeks I have gotten my motivation back and am ready to get back to the fun parts of life.

Well, I wanted to say thanks for all of the responses I got on this question. At the time I posted the question, I was really down and out at my job. I was a store manager for O’Reilly at a very high volume store. All of the obstacles that the last couple of years brought were very tough and had me really not liking what I was doing anymore.

Skip forward a bit, I stepped down from my position and became a regular counter guy. I loved the breath that I got from this but wasn’t completely satisfied because it wasn’t much of a challenge for me. I did that for about three months until I got a phone call from one of my customers.

I am now the service manager of ByRider. It’s a franchise used car dealer. The owner I have known for years and everyone around really likes him. So far I’m on my second week and really loving the new challenge.

Again to all of you, I really really appreciate all of you. Also, I know I haven’t been present here much lately but with all of this stuff happening lately I just haven’t really been motivated to do much. These passed couple of weeks I have gotten my motivation back and am ready to get back to the fun parts of life.
I’m glad that it worked out for you.

Making lemonade out of lemons. Strong work, keep it up.

Back