Where can I make 80k a year?

• Hello, visitor! Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a resource for 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma owners.

Tacoma3G is a friendly community dedicated to 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and Overland Enthusiasts. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

Biohazard

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#6,304
I second the medical field. A little (a lot in many cases) off work to get a degree or certification, and you can make some fairly good cash, especially if you're willing to travel.
But good luck with the YouTube stuff.

Mr. Nobody

✓ • Connoisseur
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
I work in fire/ems. It's a fun career and I have plenty of free time, but it's not easy to get into. It took a lot of work to finally get hired where I wanted.

Tuglife

✓ • Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Stephen
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#3,465
Oil and gas industry’s are top notch. Most are equal time so you work 6 months out of the year. Can’t beat that. I think That’s the best way to have a good live your life and also still work

Cheeto

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Ryan
T3G Member
#7,687
Old-ish thread,

Way back in the before-afore times, I was dragged onboard one of those cheesy sunset cruises around some island harbor, along with 50 or so other drunk tourists. I happened to strike a convo with the captain and found that far more fascinating than whatever crap we were supposed to be watching.

This guy was an I.P. lawyer out of New York and totally burned out on that former life. On a wild hair, he quit, sold his house, and moved to Key West. He spent a couple of years crewing on someone's tourist boat which was easy enough and sort-of paid the bills. During that he studied to get his master license, then he bought and captained his own boat, and started handing out flyers at the cruise terminals.
He said that after expenses and payroll he was still pulling in a high six figs. He claimed he was making more than he did as an attorney in NYC, and at half the labor-hours. And no wonder: 50 passengers paying 100 bucks a head for a one hour tour and bottomless low-end margaritas, and he did that three times a day, 6 days a week. Easy money.

I wonder how he's doing now?

Aven2rus

✓ • Silver
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Color
Midnight Black
Truck Grade
SR
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#7,401
Watch for Automotive Aftermarket industry jobs here SEMA

knightacoma

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Chase
Truck Year
Truck Color
Magnetic Gray
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#4,246
Old-ish thread,

Way back in the before-afore times, I was dragged onboard one of those cheesy sunset cruises around some island harbor, along with 50 or so other drunk tourists. I happened to strike a convo with the captain and found that far more fascinating than whatever crap we were supposed to be watching.

This guy was an I.P. lawyer out of New York and totally burned out on that former life. On a wild hair, he quit, sold his house, and moved to Key West. He spent a couple of years crewing on someone's tourist boat which was easy enough and sort-of paid the bills. During that he studied to get his master license, then he bought and captained his own boat, and started handing out flyers at the cruise terminals.
He said that after expenses and payroll he was still pulling in a high six figs. He claimed he was making more than he did as an attorney in NYC, and at half the labor-hours. And no wonder: 50 passengers paying 100 bucks a head for a one hour tour and bottomless low-end margaritas, and he did that three times a day, 6 days a week. Easy money.

I wonder how he's doing now?
Captaining boats can be very lucrative. Not only cruise ships, but fishing boats, oil rigs, engineering/surveying boats, etc.

My step dad gets paid around $300-400/day on short contracts to captain boats and said the next level license could get him $1000/day or more if he wants to captain the larger boats.

Beer.Taco

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Joshua
T3G Member
#3,144
I would say join the military. Do that for 4 years and get out with the GI bill then get an education or job in a different country to grasp different ideas of what to do with life.

Tuglife

✓ • Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Stephen
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#3,465
Captaining boats can be very lucrative. Not only cruise ships, but fishing boats, oil rigs, engineering/surveying boats, etc.

My step dad gets paid around $300-400/day on short contracts to captain boats and said the next level license could get him $1000/day or more if he wants to captain the larger boats.
Oil industry is dog poop rn. All us shipping guys want $120 barrel oil again lol. Where’s your dad working at?

Tape

✓ • Gold
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tape
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#5,110
I'm a pot smoker so I had to have my own business because other businesses kind of frowned on pot smokers but I say🖕 to all of them! I have a degree in aerodynamics so when I had to take a urinalysis and they found out I smoked pot I thought my life was over but there are other ways of being financially secured and I'm proof of that. The hilarious part is I smoke pot the whole time I was with this company. I'm not married and have no obligations so it's much easier on someone like me then it is you that is married because career change causes many divorces. The best to you and your family.

Reavers.adv

✓ • Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
T3G Member
#7,624
I wish I could give some advise, but I have been self employed my whole life. I don't know what the job market is like out in the real world.

knightacoma

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Chase
Truck Year
Truck Color
Magnetic Gray
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#4,246
Oil industry is dog poop rn. All us shipping guys want $120 barrel oil again lol. Where’s your dad working at?
He's self-employed but does contract work occasionally when his commercial real estate business is slow. I think right now they're on something to do with wind farms lol

Tuglife

✓ • Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Stephen
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#3,465
He's self-employed but does contract work occasionally when his commercial real estate business is slow. I think right now they're on something to do with wind farms lol
That’s what I’m thinking. Ride out the oil as long as I can then jump to wind farms. My gf just started doing yacht stewardess stuff and I’m an engineer so I’m hoping she can get me some side work lol

Tacosurf

✓ • Silver
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#5,519
Honestly it's not about money it's about happiness. I retired young because I was lucky. I have a couple old-school type retirements that pay plus VA disability and the wife is still working. Just find your happy place man it all works out don't worry about it you're young. Don't let the pressures of the world and people who think they know everything tell you or give you bad advice. That's all I have to say. I'm still living the dream. Cheers

(As for bad advice I'm not talking about anybody here😉)

Last edited:
Top Bottom