• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

what is the largest sized spare

I've heard of plenty of people fitting a 285/70/17 in the factory location with a little shimmying of the tire while placing it. Some people do some minor trimming but I've heard from a few that didn't need any.

Same as i heard. I still have to get a spare to match my set up. Shoving a 255/80/17 up there is gunna be fun. Just a slightly larger diameter than a 285/70/17

A 285/75R17 (34" tire) fits with a little "persuasion" of the steel brackets that cradle the tire under the bed... aka, beat the shit out of them with a hammer to move them forward/out just a bit. Don't go too far forward with those, though, or the tire can rub the rear diff at full stuff. You want them massaged open just enough for the tire to physically fit snugly while still keeping it as far to the rear as possible.

In my opinion, you should run a high clearance exhaust that dumps before the axle if you plan to run anything larger than a 33" spare under the bed because it also puts the tailpipe in close proximity to the tire. I know at least two guys running 34" spares who have not chopped the tailpipe without any apparent issues... yet... but it just doesn't seem like the best idea. I'm not sure if the tailpipe actually gets hot enough that far back to affect the rubber compound, but if the possibility exists, Murphy says it probably will. Especially since the spare isn't constantly rotating so you are exposing one small section of tire to prolonged and possibly significant heat cycling. If I recall correctly, the OEM exhaust even has a small heat shield welded to the pipe there whereas all of the aftermarket "cat-backs" I've seen do not - combined with the larger diameter tubing, I definitely wouldn't risk it myself. If Toyota thinks it may be enough of an issue for 30" or 31" tires to be exposed to exhaust temps that far away from the OEM piping to put a shield there, it's probably best to play it safe with oversized tires and pipes.

Last edited:
So has anyone with a 285/70 spare got it to fit in the OEM location? I just dry fitted mine and NO. It touches the differential, exhaust and the drivers leaf spring shackle. Fricken' mess. How in the F do you get this big ass tire to fit in the OEM spot?? UGH!

I currently have it strapped to the inside of my bed. Read: no room in bed for camping stuff. I have a bed cover so, setting it vertical isn't an option. Either put back in bed, or get swing out bumper. I'm in SoCal so would love to travel to see someone's same size tire in their OEM spot...

I have a 255/85r16. Moved the mount (chain ratchet) back an inch. It fits, but it’s a pain in the ass.

So has anyone with a 285/70 spare got it to fit in the OEM location? I just dry fitted mine and NO. It touches the differential, exhaust and the drivers leaf spring shackle. Fricken' mess. How in the F do you get this big ass tire to fit in the OEM spot?? UGH!

I currently have it strapped to the inside of my bed. Read: no room in bed for camping stuff. I have a bed cover so, setting it vertical isn't an option. Either put back in bed, or get swing out bumper. I'm in SoCal so would love to travel to see someone's same size tire in their OEM spot...
It can be done but it isn't simple. You'd need to modify your exhaust and the tire mount itself and whatever else needs to be cleared, but people do it. You could also get a hitch mounted tire carrier if you aren't ready to fully commit to a new bumper.

What is the best option for exhaust? Is it possible to cut the factory after the muffler and dump it down, or is aftermarket needed to do that?

I’m gonna try and fit a 315/75r16 over the weekend. From looking at Robs vid there is a little centering bracket I’ll have to trim so tire might not be as stable side to side.

I have a 35 x 12.5 under mine. Exhaust dumps after the axle and I run the tire without air. Some hammering was necessary, diff just touches the tread at full bump :p

Oh snap!! Get a load of this guy!! Strong work man. That's impressive in guessing the airing down helped a lot???

Is that without air as in you set the bead when you need to pull it out? Or 15psi or so?

I’m gonna try and fit a 315/75r16 over the weekend. From looking at Robs vid there is a little centering bracket I’ll have to trim so tire might not be as stable side to side.
Did it work for you?

I have a LT285/7017 Wrangler AT Adventure as my spare which is a 32.8” diameter tire. It fits without rubbing!
The trick is to use two people. One person cranks the tire up slowly, the other person is under the tire pushing it to just the right spot so that it doesn’t rub the diff.
When you’re done, stand behind the truck and make sure the spare tire is level. If not, go back in for small adjustments.

Took me 15 mins total.

Alway nice to have a full size spare tire matching the tires you have running..

I just purchase 5 tires and matching rims…275/70r/17 BFG A /T ,17x9-12 Enigma 6x5.5 rims
The fifth tire and rim fit perfectly in the spare position….
A peace of mine…knowing it will work. Yes…Not cheap…

I have 285/70R17 KO2's and I actually tried to put the spare under last night, and while it technically fits, it's up against the exhaust heat shield. So I didn't feel comfortable with that and just put it in the bed. I might try some exhaust chopping because I'll be adding a lift kit soon so I won't be so worried about ground clearance. I'd really prefer to get the tire out of the bed because it's taking up a lot of space I can put camping gear in.

I have 285/70R17 KO2's and I actually tried to put the spare under last night, and while it technically fits, it's up against the exhaust heat shield. So I didn't feel comfortable with that and just put it in the bed. I might try some exhaust chopping because I'll be adding a lift kit soon so I won't be so worried about ground clearance. I'd really prefer to get the tire out of the bed because it's taking up a lot of space I can put camping gear in.

Like axle dump? You could fit a biccboii under there!
1247261774_YnL9x-L.jpg

IMG_20180713_113712.jpg

I guess I could just cut it off after the axle. I've had my 33 stuffed into that space for about 2 months now, no problems with a burning tire...yet 🔥

Regarding cutting the exhaust to make it axle dump, are there any drawbacks? I did some Googling on this but most of the results are for diesels and their noise levels. Would this make a gas truck much louder? I'm thinking about my next set of tires (a little bigger) and possible exhaust reroute so doing this at the same time would make sense.

Regarding cutting the exhaust to make it axle dump, are there any drawbacks? I did some Googling on this but most of the results are for diesels and their noise levels. Would this make a gas truck much louder? I'm thinking about my next set of tires (a little bigger) and possible exhaust reroute so doing this at the same time would make sense.

Assuming the cut is here, it wouldn't get louder as it's just pipe.
Since it's just pipe, there's no back pressure or anything.
For the diesels and noise increase, I'm assuming they are cutting off cats.

s-l640.jpg

Back