• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What Engine Air Filter Are You Running?

I just put K&N's reusable engine and cabin air filters in. I've used them in all my cars and they hold up well.

Upvote 0
I have used K&N Filters in all of my cars for over 15 years now.
They work very well.
I even have one in my Optima Hybrid !!

Upvote 0
Nice, I didn't know they made drop in filters. What do you like about them? Any major difference from K&N? Looks like you can wash the AFE which is a big selling point to me.
I have the k&n drop in I think you can wash to if I’m not mistaken I may be wrong but I remember seeing that somewhere

Upvote 0
K and N blackhawk , maybe interested to sell perhaps dont know yet :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Nice, I didn't know they made drop in filters. What do you like about them? Any major difference from K&N? Looks like you can wash the AFE which is a big selling point to me.

Dry version doesn't have oils. Oils can ruin the maf

Upvote 0
K and N blackhawk , maybe interested to sell perhaps dont know yet :ROFLMAO:
Dang that thing looks bad ass. With off roading my fear would be all the dust that can get in the engine. Is this cold air intake ok for frequent dirt travel?

Upvote 0
Dang that thing looks bad ass. With off roading my fear would be all the dust that can get in the engine. Is this cold air intake ok for frequent dirt travel?
Very, no dust wont get in unless you take the filter off. Like any other setup , just like any k and n washable and reusable

Last edited:
Upvote 0

As long as you don't over oil it, it's not a problem. Did it a few times on my subaru, just get some maf cleaner, remove the maf spray it and reinstall. another tip for if you over oil it, and if you have the time, wrap it in some rags (stuff some rags in it if its a cone) and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour.

anyways are there any power gains with these filters or are they just noise makers ?

Upvote 0
As long as you don't over oil it, it's not a problem. Did it a few times on my subaru, just get some maf cleaner, remove the maf spray it and reinstall. another tip for if you over oil it, and if you have the time, wrap it in some rags (stuff some rags in it if its a cone) and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour.

anyways are there any power gains with these filters or are they just noise makers ?
Power gains no if so very very minor , the engine will only take in what it needs , cooler air may help more vs warmer air Etc... but again I doubt you get a 5-15hp gain as they state on the boxes

Upvote 0

I've used K&N filters for 44 years and almost half a million miles and have never had trouble with or had to replace my MAF sensor. The only times this happens is if your engine is suffering from extreme blowby OR you don't know how to correctly oil the filter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Has anyone used the Injen intake? It has a vent that takes air right where the radiator is. Just not sure how I like that with potentially taking in dust if you're in a group. Although I am usually out solo. The SB is looks great and offers the closed box which is my biggest want.

Upvote 0
Back