• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Water Troubles

AZ_CAVALRY

8️⃣ Paragon
Rig of the Month
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cavalry Blue
Saturday I went driving through lots of water crossings with a big group. Some water splashed on top of the hood, but was mainly slider-deep. After one of the deeper puddles, my truck stopped and lost all power. Check engine light, oil temp light, and transmission light all came on instantly. I couldn't rev over 1500 rpm without it stalling out. I disconnected the battery and reset the code. Once I restarted the truck, water sprayed out from under the hood (not sure where from), and after revving it up a few times it cleared out the water. I tried to find out what could cause the limp mode that happened, and I couldn't find much. Only thing I could find was a 2012 Tacoma having issues with the secondary air pump valve sucking in water.

Anyone have ideas on what it could be? I don't really want to take it in to the dealer and tell them I drove through four feet of water, but if I have to I will.
1550524504097.png

Saturday I went driving through lots of water crossings with a big group. Some water splashed on top of the hood, but was mainly slider-deep. After one of the deeper puddles, my truck stopped and lost all power. Check engine light, oil temp light, and transmission light all came on instantly. I couldn't rev over 1500 rpm without it stalling out. I disconnected the battery and reset the code. Once I restarted the truck, water sprayed out from under the hood (not sure where from), and after revving it up a few times it cleared out the water. I tried to find out what could cause the limp mode that happened, and I couldn't find much. Only thing I could find was a 2012 Tacoma having issues with the secondary air pump valve sucking in water.

Anyone have ideas on what it could be? I don't really want to take it in to the dealer and tell them I drove through four feet of water, but if I have to I will.
1550524504097.png
How high is you truck mainly slider height but 4 feet or water:eek:

Upvote 0
There are a ton of sensors you could have mucked up that would cause the truck to freak out. Even a goofy trans temp sensor will cause truck to shut down to save itself. Possibilities are nearly endless, especially if you hit water with speed and were splashing it everywhere.

Upvote 0
@taco_del_infierno taco_ did you ever find out what caused your limp issue?
I never could figure out what the issue was. My guess is it is hitting one of the sensors like @WarFabArmor mentioned. On a side-note, I got rear-ended last week, nothing bad but one of my backup sensors went out, and my airbag light/seatbelt light came on the dash. I had the dealer run codes after this, and nothing came up related to the water issues mentioned before. I guess I will just have to take it easy next time I'm in water.

Upvote 0
So, this same issue happened to me again while on a Death Valley trip over the weekend. One of the guys I was with was able to read codes, and this is what came up. Has anyone heard of these issues? Is it odd it's coming up on multiple random cylinders? I'm taking it to the dealer next week sometime for oil change, so I will bring it up to them when I go.

IMG_0280.JPG

Upvote 0
So, this same issue happened to me again while on a Death Valley trip over the weekend. One of the guys I was with was able to read codes, and this is what came up. Has anyone heard of these issues? Is it odd it's coming up on multiple random cylinders? I'm taking it to the dealer next week sometime for oil change, so I will bring it up to them when I go.

IMG_0280.JPG
Possibly dirty maf

Upvote 0
Back