VF Tuner || OVTune - Valley Tuning - KDMAX - Sibi Built || Best ECU Flash?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Sweet! So this whole time I could’ve done this already but I was needlessly waiting for nothing because I’m an idiot.

Looks like I’ll be flashing my truck tomorrow!

bonifacio

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
T3G Member
#2,531
Sweet! So this whole time I could’ve done this already but I was needlessly waiting for nothing because I’m an idiot.

Looks like I’ll be flashing my truck tomorrow!
Sounds like it.

Usually most people would wait for the Final/2.0 tunes from VFTuner to send the link to their ECU ID. But if you're flashing Valley Runner, you don't even need those files because you can just flash Valley Runner.

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Sounds like it.

Usually most people would wait for the Final/2.0 tunes from VFTuner to send the link to their ECU ID. But if you're flashing Valley Runner, you don't even need those files because you can just flash Valley Runner.
Yeah, I didn’t get those files anyway. Mat just sent me my master key with instructions to download the software on the homepage of his website. And that should be all I’ll need.

TermLimits

✓ • Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,974
Yeah, I didn’t get those files anyway. Mat just sent me my master key with instructions to download the software on the homepage of his website. And that should be all I’ll need.
Correct. It looks like you’re good to go.

Setup the software with your master key, install the latest OpenPort drivers (VFTuner help tab at the top of the software has a link for it), connect your cable and flash the VR files we made for your truck.

(y)

bonifacio

✓ • Diamond
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Off-Road
T3G Member
#2,531
Correct. It looks like you’re good to go.

Setup the software with your master key, install the latest OpenPort drivers (VFTuner help tab at the top of the software has a link for it), connect your cable and flash the VR files we made for your truck.

(y)
I know there is an intake/exhaust option. Sorry if I asked before. Is there anything tuning-wise to improve with a Y-Pipe?

JackRoberts

✓ • Bronze
Upvotes Recieved
T3G Member
#8,940
Did you buy OVTune? If so, how are you liking it? Any bugs?

I know it is on my eventually list, but to be honest, I don't even hate the stock tune as much as most people. It definitely could be better though.
I did the KD Max Tune. What a difference. It shifts like it should have from the factory and very much like my 2008 4Runner. The Toyota shift algorithm is horrible and why they continue to stay with it is a mystery. It doesn't help gas mileage and, I would think at some point, cause more wear and tear on the transmission. I have approx 1500 miles on the tune a mixture of highway, local, and one towing trip. The tow load was about 3500lbs and handled it much better than it did prior to the tune.

TermLimits

✓ • Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
#8,974
I know there is an intake/exhaust option. Sorry if I asked before. Is there anything tuning-wise to improve with a Y-Pipe?
We have eliminated the exhaust option with the v2.1 update.

v2.1 is octane independent, meaning that you can run 86-93 without issue on a single tune. To accomplish this, we found middle ground on the exhaust timings that also accommodates exhaust mods for reduced back pressure

Gamester

✓ • Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Color
Super White
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Access Cab
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
#7,120
I’m leaning towards a KDMAXX or Valley tune.
My Toyota dealer turned off the seatbelt chimes on my truck. Will this setting be lost if a new tune is flashed to the ECU, or is it a separate thing altogether?

mZiggy

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
I’m leaning towards a KDMAXX or Valley tune.
My Toyota dealer turned off the seatbelt chimes on my truck. Will this setting be lost if a new tune is flashed to the ECU, or is it a separate thing altogether?
That's separate

mZiggy

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
YotaWerx Tuning is also still looking for some more testers for the new tune we've been working with.

Please note that this tune is not at all intended to compete with KD, CVC, VR, etc in terms of aggressiveness or power, it is not intended to hold gears longer for the purposes of valiantly climbing up mountain passes without downshifting, it is not the ultimate tune to fully unlock the potential of your truck.

The tune is deliberately more along the lines of OVTune, or somewhere in between OVTune 2.0 and what Coyoza was. Incidentally, it seems that it may be a possible "eco-tune" on accident lol. The tune is 100% a drivability tune in the same vein as the goal for OVT 2.0, but we have made efforts to provide refinement just like with our other tunes.

If this seems like something you're interested in trying out and giving feedback on, please reach out to us.

If you have a heavy truck and wish to test, please manage expectations.

We have our YotaWerx thread here on this forum, as well as on TW, and we can also be reached on social media (Facebook and IG).

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Last question before I flash (hopefully)…

Does this thread about ECU TSB updates pertain to me? Or can I basically ignore the info in this thread?

mZiggy

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
Last question before I flash (hopefully)…

Does this thread about ECU TSB updates pertain to me? Or can I basically ignore the info in this thread?

What's your ECU version? If it's up to date, then no. If you're not updated and your provided tune is an updated version (likely), then yes.

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
What's your ECU version? If it's up to date, then no. If you're not updated and your provided tune is an updated version (likely), then yes.
Will my ECU version show on the software? I haven’t gone through the instruction manual yet, I’m just getting prepared.

I know with the original OVTune, you’d get your ECU version from the software.

mZiggy

✓ • Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Authorized VF Tuner
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Color
Cement
Truck Grade
Pro
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Short Bed
Transmission
Manual
T3G Member
Will my ECU version show on the software? I haven’t gone through the instruction manual yet, I’m just getting prepared.

I know with the original OVTune, you’d get your ECU version from the software.
Yes, you'll hit Prepare ECU with an internet connection (required) and it'll tell you your ECU version

Tyler

✓ • Mythical
Badministrator
Upvotes Recieved
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Color
Quicksand
Truck Grade
Off-Road
Cab & Bed
Double Cab, Long Bed
Transmission
Automatic
T3G Member
Cool. And what is the cable type for the orange device? I gotta see if I still have one of those because I’m just realizing I don’t think I do. The one that came with the device died a few years ago.